AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to help a friend purchase a new laptop that will play various video formats on his new HDTV. The source material ranges from home VHS videos that he converted to DVD format, video clips (AVI. MPG, MP4, and others)downloaded from the Internet, commercial DVDs and some copies of commerial DVDs (he does have some).

There are several laptops that have HDMI, Display Port and VGA outputs. I'm almost certain that the HDMI output would not be available for anything but commercial DVDs because of the copy protection. But what about Display Port for either the commerical DVDs or copied DVDs.

I hate to recommend getting a laptop with an S-Connector because the quality would look poor on the HDTV. Another option would be an Express Card (inserted into the laptop) with some type of video output: composite or component.

I personally believe he needs a HTPC or some hardware device that can read the various videos from his laptop (or desktop PC), convert the audio/video streams and finally output them to his HDTV via composite or component connections.

I'm sure something like this have been covered somewhere in the forums. So if you could point me to the right forum or relevant thread it would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any help!

Paul

·
Registered
321 Posts
I use HDMI all the time from my PC to my HDTV. Never had a problem with Converted DVD material, burned DVD's, games, web browsing. I have also used VGA with both my PC and laptop to the TV. Works very well also.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts