AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Acer C2D laptop w/ 2GB of RAM that has a built-in (Toshiba OEM) HD-DVD reader/DVD+-R writer). It also have a Nvidia 8600GT Mo graphics chipset (512MB video RAM, not shared) w/ HDMI output. I can play HD-DVD fine on pre-installed Vista Home Premium w/ some sort of an Acer DVD/HD-DVD player app (based on WinDVD, I think).

My questions are:

(1) My understanding is that both HD-DVD and Blu-ray movie discs use UDF file system. So, can I plug in an external USB/firewire Blu-ray drive for Blu-ray movie w/ the pre-installed s/w HD player?

(2) If I "downgrade" my laptop to a XP Media Center Edition (I got a legitimate copy from a deceased PC) what do I need in order to maintain the HD-DVD playback capability?

(3) Is it possible to output 1080p24 for movies with a HTPC/laptop? If yes, how?

(4) On Vista (and XP) is there any other choices of s/w player that can support HDM? Is it possible to use something like a VLC player to play HD-DVD and such?

(5) From the audio setup thing on Vista it seems that I can pipe me digital audio signal to a TV/receiver via the HDMI output. So, if I'm NOT using the pre-installed DVD/HD-DVD s/w player to play media files/DVDs (e.g. KM player, VLC, etc.) do I need to use something like the "AC-3 filter" to pipe AC-3/DTS stream to a receiver (I cannot test this right now since I don't have a HDMI capable receiver/pre-pro but I will be soon
)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
1) No. the preinstalled software plays HDDVD only. You will need to purchase PowerDVD Ultra to play both.

2) PowrDVD Ultra and all associated drivers.

3) No idea.

4) No for VLC. The only other software is PowerDVD Ultra and Arcsoft Total Media Extreme.

5) No

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane /forum/post/12968895

1) No. the preinstalled software plays HDDVD only. You will need to purchase PowerDVD Ultra to play both.

I was hoping it will just be a simple Blu-ray drive plug-in... oh well. I guess I will have to spend more
Thanks for the info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts