AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used the search but didn't find any good discussion about Lara Croft: Tomb Raider Blu-ray releases.

I've read many complaints in many forums about really poor picture quality in these releases, both US and UK.

Many say that "those are not worth of an upgrade, do not buy these. These are almost direct DVD to Blu-ray transfers."

I haven't seen US release, but I have UK release and I have to say that I really don't understand those complaints.

Well it isn't any reference quality, that is sure. Colors are almost same. But there is so much more details visible in Blu-ray.

At least UK Blu-ray is not DVD to Blu-ray transfer.

There is no any remastering done in picture.

It looks like that both, DVD released in 2001 (Finland) and Blu-ray released in 2009 (UK), are made from same master.

I haven't found any good screenshot from LC:TR Blu-rays either.

So I took some screenshots from Finnish PAL DVD and UK Blu-ray.

DVD shots are resized with bicubic method in Photoshop.

You can make you own judgment is it worth to update your DVD to Blu-ray.

As always, single still image doesn't tell the complete truth. Difference in "moving pictures" is more obvious.

Specification for UK Blu-ray is here .

First PAL DVD and second UK Blu-ray
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_

·
Registered
2,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule /forum/post/19085086

In most caps, there is simply not enough detail/clarity gain from the Blu-ray when compared to the DVD.

Interesting.

I disagree. Even though it's from the same master and even though it could look better with a new transfer, the BD is miles ahead of the DVD. There's a huge jump in detail and clarity.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
There is a mild increase in detail in most of those shots, with some shots being much of a greater increase in detail. This reminds me of the detail level of a 1080i broadcast of Star Wars or Lord of The Rings. Looks fantastic, but it's not quite there to be called a "Blu-ray".

However..."huge" or "miles ahead" jump in detail? Disagreed. This isn't an impressive release by any means but it is still obviously in HD, and it's still looks to be the best one to get, so I'm not complaining. It's a solid upgrade, but i'd be careful about using the words "miles ahead" or "huge jump".

For one instance, look at the Angelina Jolie tit shot. There's hardly any difference between the two. It could be the limitation of the film though, as I see that it's not digital (yay).

EDIT: It does look a little better than what I'm claiming. It has the raw film look of Raiders of the Lost Ark or something like that...maybe that's what they were trying to go for? I've never seen this title, so I think I was under the wrong impression.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Keep in mind as well that in the shot you're referencing, the only part of the frame that's really in focus seems to be her wet hair. She's walking forward in this shot from a static camera with a fixed focus.

As I said, it's not perfect, but IMO, it's pretty darn good. Considering that this was an early Paramount release in the US, I'd be surprised if the US version measured up to this.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I would really like Tomb Raider 2 which I thought was a superior film in every way! Being from Paramount I think we have more luck for Lionsgate releasing it.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Concorde has released Tomb Raider 1 & 2 on Bluray in Germany with English DTS-HD MA.

They look okay, although colour timing seems strange and I don't have anything to compare them to. From memory there were some subtitle issues, like forced German subs during Russian/Cambodian language speaking parts (although this only occurred in a very small portion of the movie).

·
Registered
811 Posts
Some pics of German 2 disc set....

·
Registered
328 Posts
Looks good in some of the shots. The grave stone image has a "funny liney" look to me, not sure if I am just seeing something that is there or not. Still upgrade in clarity and detail that's for sure.

Anyone know if that Blu Ray is a port of the old HDDVD? as I have that old HD DVD and never got round to even watching it (maybe time to I guess).

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I own the Concorde 2-disc "Collector's Edition" which hsinnott provided some cover shots for ( this one ) and it is definitely region free (tested myself), although it's worth noting that the extra features are in 576i50, so if your player or display does not have 50Hz support you will not be able to view the extras.

I can't definitively speak to the issue of forced German subtitles during foreign language bits, since embarrassingly I have not watched these yet, but the German subtitle streams can be disabled so if these are present they must be burned into the image*. If someone has the chapters or rough locations for these segments, I can spot check them.

* EDIT: I should probably look at my own BDInfo report more closely. There are three German subtitle streams on disc - one I believe is dialog and the other SDH and I think the third might be commentary subs. I guess this warrants further checking.

BDInfo report here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1559

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Squid /forum/post/19154408

I can't definitively speak to the issue of forced German subtitles during foreign language bits, since embarrassingly I have not watched these yet, but the German subtitle streams can be disabled so if these are present they must be burned into the image*.

Not sure if you mean that you checked the German subs by playing it back, but several French releases like Pulp Fiction have soft-subs that are enforced when you choose the English audio tracks. Of course this isn't clear if you play the files in MPC or check the BDInfo (and I'm sure it would be next to impossible to add such a check).

·
Registered
2,839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan /forum/post/19154777

Not sure if you mean that you checked the German subs by playing it back, but several French releases like Pulp Fiction have soft-subs that are enforced when you choose the English audio tracks. Of course this isn't clear if you play the files in MPC or check the BDInfo (and I'm sure it would be next to impossible to add such a check).

Yeah, definitely a tricky thing to test automatically. From the disc menus it is possible to select English Audio without enabling any German subtitles. However, it seems portions still show up selectively in certain segments (location names and foreign dialog). They are not part of the picture and are not the full sub track, but these snippets show up even when all subs are turned off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts