AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi all,

I've recently been trying to research the screen choice for my home set-up. I'm running a Sony HW50es but currently projecting onto a plain textured white wall.. (I sense inhales of breath to that comment), so am looking to get a screen to finally finish the build.

I've plenty of space so have been running about 150" screen in 16:9 (or even a couple of inches bigger) but the room itself is not easy to control for light, either in the day or at night. For a start, it's an open mezzanine level, so not at all enclosed, and under the roof, with windows, white walls, varnished wooden floors and slightly less reflective (but still varnished) wooden ceiling slats. And even though I intend to reduce the problem of the floor with rugs, its not the perfect cinema room, and cant be painted differently.

So, though most viewing is at night time and the projector has plenty of power for the big screen size at night, I would like some better blacks, and think some ambient light rejection would be useful also, particularly for daytime viewing, I've been investigating possible screen solutions, but am struggling to pick - partly as it is impossible for me to demo them, so its difficult to really know the difference. So, I was hoping you excellent people may have some experience and advice.

I started by looking at SI Black Diamond, though this as it turns out is far too expensive. SI themselves (excellent people indeed, I might add, having spoken to them on the phone) then suggested I try their new SLATE screen, as a medium grey with 1.2 gain, and the properties I am looking for at a significantly cheaper price than the Black Diamond. Problem solved it would seem, except that I am in Switzerland, and the screen would still set me back some $4000 for fixed (unless there is a shop in the US that is significantly cheaper and ships to Europe?).

So, I've been looking at the Draper React 2.1 also a medium grey ambient light screen, with a gain of 1.0 - 1.1. In the UK its extremely highly regarded it would seem, many people touting the brilliance of the screen, and saying that it is for the price, better than any other similar competitor, at about $3050 shipped, its also rather a lot cheaper.

So the first question, is whether anyone has any experience between these two, and might be able to advise on the real differences between them. I possibly originally had favoured the SLATE on paper, but for the price.

So, looking at other alternatives, I came across the Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision with gain 1.1. I am led to believe this is a very light silvery grey colour... so firstly, does this mean the Da-lite cant match the draper or SI for blacks? Will the more expensive Draper or SI screens have other qualities that will enhance viewing over this cheaper material?

Using the Da-Snap frame, the cost is about $2875 approximately (including the felt frame finish), so not hugely cheaper than the Draper, and also I must take into account whether Da-Lite will cut a screen down for free (which hasn't been answered to me yet by the shop I have asked). However if I use the rather cheap (and admittedly rather less professional looking PermWall system (the material simply buttons onto a frame behind it, with now frame border visible) then there is a huge saving to be made - coming in at a mere $1750.... a rather more appealing prospect indeed!

Experience, opinions and advice is all greatly received, as are possible other solutions!

Thanks!

·
Banned
50 Posts
FWIW, I have seen the SI BD and was not impressed. Certainly not for the $ it would cost me - especially since I will be getting a motorized screen.

I have researched, read and talked to enough people - including the wonderful people at AVS - that I am convinced that moderate ambient light/white ceiling/walls scenarios, that Draper React 2.1 is my best bet.

Of course, I have not seen the react 2.1 - only on their marketing videos - but I have read where people claim it has noticeable less sparkles/sheen than the SI BD - which is almost enough to sell me!

So saving up the moolah to get a 119" motorized react screen.

Not sure if this helps, but thought i would share.

·
Registered
852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCCM  /t/1523817/large-ambient-light-grey-screen-choice-draper-vs-da-lite-vs-si#post_24517496

Hi all,

I've recently been trying to research the screen choice for my home set-up. I'm running a Sony HW50es but currently projecting onto a plain textured white wall.. (I sense inhales of breath to that comment), so am looking to get a screen to finally finish the build.

I've plenty of space so have been running about 150" screen in 16:9 (or even a couple of inches bigger) but the room itself is not easy to control for light, either in the day or at night. For a start, it's an open mezzanine level, so not at all enclosed, and under the roof, with windows, white walls, varnished wooden floors and slightly less reflective (but still varnished) wooden ceiling slats. And even though I intend to reduce the problem of the floor with rugs, its not the perfect cinema room, and cant be painted differently.

So, though most viewing is at night time and the projector has plenty of power for the big screen size at night, I would like some better blacks, and think some ambient light rejection would be useful also, particularly for daytime viewing, I've been investigating possible screen solutions, but am struggling to pick - partly as it is impossible for me to demo them, so its difficult to really know the difference. So, I was hoping you excellent people may have some experience and advice.

I started by looking at SI Black Diamond, though this as it turns out is far too expensive. SI themselves (excellent people indeed, I might add, having spoken to them on the phone) then suggested I try their new SLATE screen, as a medium grey with 1.2 gain, and the properties I am looking for at a significantly cheaper price than the Black Diamond. Problem solved it would seem, except that I am in Switzerland, and the screen would still set me back some $4000 for fixed (unless there is a shop in the US that is significantly cheaper and ships to Europe?).

So, I've been looking at the Draper React 2.1 also a medium grey ambient light screen, with a gain of 1.0 - 1.1. In the UK its extremely highly regarded it would seem, many people touting the brilliance of the screen, and saying that it is for the price, better than any other similar competitor, at about $3050 shipped, its also rather a lot cheaper.

So the first question, is whether anyone has any experience between these two, and might be able to advise on the real differences between them. I possibly originally had favoured the SLATE on paper, but for the price.

So, looking at other alternatives, I came across the Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision with gain 1.1. I am led to believe this is a very light silvery grey colour... so firstly, does this mean the Da-lite cant match the draper or SI for blacks? Will the more expensive Draper or SI screens have other qualities that will enhance viewing over this cheaper material?

Using the Da-Snap frame, the cost is about $2875 approximately (including the felt frame finish), so not hugely cheaper than the Draper, and also I must take into account whether Da-Lite will cut a screen down for free (which hasn't been answered to me yet by the shop I have asked). However if I use the rather cheap (and admittedly rather less professional looking PermWall system (the material simply buttons onto a frame behind it, with now frame border visible) then there is a huge saving to be made - coming in at a mere $1750.... a rather more appealing prospect indeed!

Experience, opinions and advice is all greatly received, as are possible other solutions!

Thanks!

I own the Da-lite Cinema Vision (NOT high contrast Cinema Vision) but the texture on both is pretty much the same. To me it has WAY too much grain/sparkles/texture - I wasn't too happy with it in scenes with large areas of light colors. I bought but have not yet installed a Stewart Cima Tiburon. I got samples of Slate, Firehawk G4 and liked the Stewart Tiburon the best. I'm sure it's not as good if you have a ton of ambient light to deal with, but it's a light gray really smooth surface with hardly any texture or sparkles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much to you both for these responses - actually quite useful. I would guess that the black diamond is sparklier than the Draper, its a darker material yet higher gain, so there must be some give, but the SLATE is probably better than the BD really... that said I'm glad to hear opinions that the Draper is at least as good if not better than this, because its so much cheaper for me, that I much prefer the option.

Secondly thanks for the heads up on Da-Lite. I wondered why the screen is that bit cheaper, I guess the texture is the reason. Admittedly the white CV wouldn't suit me, but it seems the HCCV is only a very light grey anyway, and so also perhaps wont give the benefit of draper. I wondered mostly really as at almost half the price for the cheap mountnig frame, it seemed interesting.

But most factors are pointing in favour of the Draper at the moment. And I thank you both for helping to put my mind at ease.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, with regards to the Tiburon, it sounds like I probably will benefit more from the greater ambient light control of draper personally, it sounds like your room is better than mine in that sense.

·
Banned
50 Posts
Just researched the Stewart Cima TIburon. Interesting material. surprisingly, motorized Stewart is slightly cheaper (just a tad) than a motorized react - though I did not find a tensioned version. So comparing a React 119" tab tension electric to a Stewart 123" non-tab electric is not exactly apples to apples.

For me, tab tension is a deal breaker for the Stewart.

For a fixed frame option, Tiburon may work for some. React is more of a 1.1 gain, while Tiburan is more of a .95 gain. Also, both companies have strange (imho) screen sizes to pick from. Draper has 119 and Stewart has 123", for example. 123 is too big for my room - 119 is pushing it, but I think I can make that work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I am promised actually by the Draper seller that they will happily cut a screen down to size to fit my need, without extra cost, perhaps Stewart might do that for you too?

I don't know if that applies yet to the motorised versions though.

·
Registered
32,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Benkin  /t/1523817/large-ambient-light-grey-screen-choice-draper-vs-da-lite-vs-si#post_24529001

Just researched the Stewart Cima TIburon. Interesting material. surprisingly, motorized Stewart is slightly cheaper (just a tad) than a motorized react - though I did not find a tensioned version. So comparing a React 119" tab tension electric to a Stewart 123" non-tab electric is not exactly apples to apples.

For me, tab tension is a deal breaker for the Stewart.

For a fixed frame option, Tiburon may work for some. React is more of a 1.1 gain, while Tiburan is more of a .95 gain. Also, both companies have strange (imho) screen sizes to pick from. Draper has 119 and Stewart has 123", for example. 123 is too big for my room - 119 is pushing it, but I think I can make that work.

The electric Cima screens are tab-tensioned. They don't come non-tab-tensioned.

·
Registered
32,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCCM  /t/1523817/large-ambient-light-grey-screen-choice-draper-vs-da-lite-vs-si#post_24549173

I am promised actually by the Draper seller that they will happily cut a screen down to size to fit my need, without extra cost, perhaps Stewart might do that for you too?

I don't know if that applies yet to the motorised versions though.

Most screen companies will cut down screens for you at no additional cost. Stewart's regular line is custom made to order, so no cutting down. They just make what you want. Now the Stewart Cima line is different. To keep costs down, there is no customization available for Cima.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts