AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

We just finished our basement theatre, but the sub that came with the speakers is way underpowered for the room size. Currently we have a Denon 3808 powering Klipsch WF-34 7.1 system with the XD-300 sub (290 RMS I believe). Our basement is a fairly large at 17.5' x 7.5' x 27' with the actual listening area at about 17.5' x 7.5' x 10'.

Obviously, the 8" 290 RMS klipsch sub just isn't cutting it, I can barely hear the bass over the speakers let alone feeling it punch me in the chest when cannons go off

I'm semi partial to Elemental Designs though I'm still open to any suggestions. As of now I'm looking at the A7s - 450 / A7 - 350 / A7 - 700. They all seem fairly equal in raw power and specs. Can anyone give some recommendations on these?

Money isn't too much of an issue, I would like to stay under 1600ish if I can. I'll prob sell the klipsch sub to recoupe some of the money.

Forgot to mention, this theatre is used for video games and movies only.

Thanks guys,

Jon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 /forum/post/16971001

The A7-700 is pretty hard to match in sheer output capability above 20hz.

yeah it looks like a beast. However I can't help to notice that all 3 of the subs I listed are the same power rating and have a very similar frequency spectrum. I can't find anything on actual volume of these subs so is the 700 really that much louder then the other 2?

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
I think you would find that due to it's sheer size and twin 15" drivers, the 700 will have considerably greater output than the other two. Next would probably be the A7-350 which due to porting should have more output on average than the A7s.

Amp power is only one part of the equation. Design, box size, and driver compliment all contribute to the total output capability.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Sounds like you built your home theater and if you liked doing things yourself I might suggest looking into an IB if you have the ability. Pick either 4 Exodus DPL-15s or 4 AE IB15 drivers and power them with a single EP2500 and for around $800 you would have more output than you would know what to do with.

If IB doesn't appeal to you, but DIY still might be an option, I could also suggest picking up 2 Mal-Xs powered with an EP2500 each and place them into 2 Neo Dan's easy 24'' boxes and you should be set. This is the setup I have and I love it.

Otherwise the ED sub you have picked out is not a bad option, but here are just a couple of other alternatives. However, you can expect more output with either of the 2 above options for slightly less money, but of course they are DIY. (some like, but some don't)

·
Registered
721 Posts
I would actually go dual sub, two A5-350's would be a beast in that room, roughly equal the output of the a7-700, and cost $200 less. Dual subs are going to allow you to get cleaner and more consistent bass at each seating position over a single sub.

Just as a point of reference, ONE A5-350 would easily spank the pants off of that XD-300. I've actually heard the xd-300 in a setup almost identical to mine, and my a2-300 easily bested it in output and SQ. So you can only imagine how much better the a5-350 will be, much less 2 of them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts