AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after much confusion about what I need I think I've found my problem.

My speakers have been too small.

I need some large bookshelf speakers with 6.5" or larger woofers.

I prefer all matching speakers, so a design that can handle center channel duties is ideal. I don't want a MTM horizontal center. I can fit a 12" vertical speaker as long as it can go close to the wall.

Ascend is first choice. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
18,417 Posts
Hsu HC-1 and Chane A2 are two other good MTM bookshelf speakers in that ballpark, each one has a different type of tweeter than the Ascend so it would be an interesting 3 way comparison if you are willing to pay for return shipping the 2 pairs that you don't pick, which won't be cheap.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Not sure on the pricing over there but Klipsch rp160m have great reviews. Not as harsh as some of the older models so go great with 2ch but still excellent for HT speakers

·
Registered
18,417 Posts
Oops, I may have misread the OP.

If you want speakers with 6.5" woofers that can also go close up against a wall, in the $500 range I'd look at the NHT SuperOne (sealed cabinet) or the Wharfedale 225 (down-ported).

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oops, I may have misread the OP.

If you want speakers with 6.5" woofers that can also go close up against a wall, in the $500 range I'd look at the NHT SuperOne (sealed cabinet) or the Wharfedale 225 (down-ported).

Only the center needs to be close to the wall. All other speakers can be at least a foot out.

If the center is under 12-14" it can come out about 11" from the wall as well.

One reason I was looking at the Ascend CBM-170 is it should be able to fit under the television vertically. I could probably provide at least 6-8" of clearance maybe more. Is that too little for this speaker?

Additionally, when checking the specs of some favored speakers they seem to be crossed over higher. 4k range for some, the others have natural roll off with no crossover. I would like to continue that trend as it seems to impart a sound I'm partial to.

·
Registered
18,417 Posts
Only the center needs to be close to the wall. All other speakers can be at least a foot out.

If the center is under 12-14" it can come out about 11" from the wall as well.

One reason I was looking at the Ascend CBM-170 is it should be able to fit under the television vertically. I could probably provide at least 6-8" of clearance maybe more. Is that too little for this speaker?
Should be ok if you're running them on "small" and have a good sub in play. Someone on some other thread mentioned that Ascend might even supply foam port plugs, not sure if you have to request them or if they're now included.

·
Registered
18,417 Posts
Some people have reported that NHT now also offers 2-way free shipping, might want to contact them about that...a SuperOne vs 170SE comparo would be very interesting, esp. given your placement restrictions.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Another vote for the NHT SuperOne 2.1's - mine are keepers (Bought from Amazon 12/14.). Predictably inefficient when compared with Klipsch R-15M. Tight bass - well controlled - you'll need a sub for HT use - fine for music alone. They are sold singly, so you could buy three for a same sound CC. You might consider a smaller SuperZero 2.1 for the CC - it reportedly has a wider dispersion/sweet spot - a good feature for a CC (Plus - it's ~10" tall rather than ~12".). I bought a JBL SUB 550P acoustic suspension sub 2/15 for them, but left it in my office when I moved the NHT's and Onkyo pair, a C-7030 CDP & TX-8020 50 Wpc stereo rcvr, to my upstairs bonus/hobby room, where it is used 99% for music. The 50W is more than enough for my music listening there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts