AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I would ask if others are running into the same problem I seem to be. As I keep adding hard drive capacity and more media (TV and movies ripped from DVD), I am finding the performance of my HTPCs is slowing down. I am running XP MCE on 2 machines, and both of them take longer and longer to navigate menus as my library grows. I know how windows networking works, and how the HTPCs need to keep track of all the files, but it seems to be too noticeably slow at times after adding a group of movies or tv shows. I run all GigE switch and network cards, and once playing, all medai streams fine to either room, its just going through menus to find the show I want to watch that takes a long time. Any info would be appreciated, thanks. I was just reading the 48 TB thread, and it got me wondering how long it would take to go through the menus with that much, its almost 10 times what I have so far.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Media center re-scans shared folders and files so yes the larger the share is the longer it will take, however I started running the new windows search tool found here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...h/default.mspx it indexes all my media, files and such and once I did that I no longer have this issue.

- Josh

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
after 3 500G HDD filled long time ago, I felt that I can no longer using HTPC box to hold all my BD, DVD, MP3, pictures... I got myself a RAID5 server and with 10 out of 11 500G HDD filled today. I use MM and within 5 seconds, MM show all my 405 titles in front of me and with a touch of button, I can play all I want. The best thing to me is I only watch movies during weekend, therefore I only power up the server weekend and power down weekday to save some $.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts