AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I've been put in charge or figuring out the 7.2 speakers for a new town home that my in-laws are building. They put me in this position as I am the most knowledable on AV equipment. However, I know so little compared to all of you and for that reason, I'm pleading for your help. I unfortunatley do not have the amount of time to figure this out on my own. We are pretty open minded, but here are what we do require:

1. 7.2 audio (may consider 5.2, but my father-in-law wants to go 7 channels)

2. Bookshelf speaker size(wall mounted and not on stands) or in-wall (no towers)

3. I'm recommending SVS for the subs (I have the PB13U and love it)

4. $4000 budget give or take for all 7 channels and 2 subs (I'd prefer 2 subs over 1)

We're working with an AV guy in the area, which is highly recommending Phase Tech, Sonance and Episode speakers, but can get others as well. I'm open to all sugestions and we do not have to buy from this guy if it makes sense to go elsewhere. I'm sure we can get a great system for this budget and I look forward to hearing the responses. Room demesions are pretty large and my guess would be roughly 18*30*10. I think in-walls would be a cleaner look and I'm sure the in-laws would prefer those, but we're really after sound and performance here. Oh as for the AVR that will be driving these, we're looking at the Marantz SR6004 and possibly the AV8003, but again are open to suggestions. Please note we are also doing some distributed audio throughout the town house with roughly 8-12 zones and will probably implement some home automation such as AV, lighting, temperature control, etc. (if I get my way). So an AVR that would play nice with these other components would be great.

Also, we are looking for a good soundbar for another room in the town house and looking towards DefTech and some of the others.

Thank you in advance and I will try to post photos once the process begins. Right now we're just at drywall phase so pre-wire shouldn't be an issue.

P.S. Please feel free to comment and make suggestions on any other areas...

·
Registered
710 Posts
Axiomauido has the most onwall speakers available with many choices of finish(extra costs). I also like Kef, Orb, Aperion, Ascend for some others to look into for some quality sound. Paradigm also has some very nice sounding on wall speakers.

I too run an SVS PB13 Ultra and would buy another.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Other in/on wall options include Triad and Totem.

The best AVR deal right now is the Denon 3310 for $580. You can always add an Emotiva XPA 3/5/7 to this.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Are they going with an acoustically transparent screen? If so, I would recommend the HSU VTF15 would be a much better value or a CS18.2 over the SVS.

For speakers, if again AT screen JTR T8, SHO10 or Slant 8's behind the screen and in-ceiling or in-walls for the surrounds.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism /forum/post/0

Are they going with an acoustically transparent screen? If so, I would recommend the HSU VTF15 would be a much better value or a CS18.2 over the SVS.

For speakers, if again AT screen JTR T8, SHO10 or Slant 8's behind the screen and in-ceiling or in-walls for the surrounds.

Thank you guys for all the help and support, we are going with a wall mounted plasma, so putting speakers behind the screen won't be an option. Out of the Triad, Kef and other recommended options which models would you recommend we go with to keep the total 7.2 under $4000? That's a great deal on the Denon, we will certainly look into that model as I have always been found of them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts