AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

OK, I know this is a vanilla question, but I'm still somewhat confused.  I've been reading Mark Flesichmann's "Practical Home Theater" guide (2014 ed.) and from what I can glean I most likely have the "common" setup he refers to: "large" F/L and F/R speakers and "small" center and surround speakers.  I have 5 JBL speakers, all Northridge E series (E80s for FL/FR, EC35 for Center, and E10s for both surrounds).  I currently don't have a sub, and have been running all my speakers as "Large" as I thought they had enough of a frequency response to handle it.  But looking at the specs in the manuals for each speaker, I think I'm wrong. 

Judging by the specs (I've included them below) and the fact I don't currently have a sub, would I get the most out of my speakers if I set my Denon AVR-1705 receiver to map the FL/FR as "large" because of their greater freq range, and the rest to "small" because of their more limited frequency range?  Would these settings improve sound quality or at least tax the amp less?

Thanks!

-E80 Freq Range: 38Hz-20kHz

-EC35 Freq Range: 75 Hz-20kHz

-E10 Freq Range: 75 Hz-20kHz

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Your are correct in your assumptions. It may help improve sound

Quality, and tax the amp a bit less.

PS- get yourself a SUB!!!

·
Registered
3,886 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers  /t/1520679/large-or-small-setting-for-my-jbls#post_24431020

Your are correct in your assumptions. It may help improve sound

Quality, and tax the amp a bit less.

PS- get yourself a SUB!!!

Agreed. Let the sub do the heavy lifting, it will improve the performance of your main speakers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts