AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am designing an installation that will have 3 (or 4) projectors that will create a large screen. Each of these projectors will work with a minimum resolution of 1280 x 1024.

Then, the purpose of this installation is to reproduce a large video (3 x 1280) x 1024 = 3840 x 1024 aaarg!

I have been thinking on different solutions, but now two of them are the best for me (as far as i know)

- Using a pj4olp Matrox card. This will create a (3 x 1280) x 1024 = 3840 x 1024 screen. Then the main problem is-> what software can manage this resolution? And if it´s possible to manage it, is this program stable and professional enought? Other solution could be using a Video streaming servers, like DOREMI, the problem is that they don´t manage resolutions that are not a standard (like this one).

- Using 3 (or 4, depending on the number of projectors) video servers, all synchronized with a main computer. This solution is the most stable, but i have to create the media content and then capture segments for each projector, and also maintenance and error correction is hard.

Has anyone idea of how i can solve (or improve) my system?

I will appreciate any help, thanks a lot!!!!!

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
you need one of these units from TV0ne that does edge blending. the C2-2xxx units can blend on all sides so you can come up with a wide variety of dispaly configurations.
http://www.tvone.com/edgeblending.shtml

Here are two Marquee 8500 crt pjs blended onto a 12 foot wide screen:

these units are a bit pricy but are very versitile for what you want to do.

let me know if you want pricing info.

also whats your location

Athansios

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

I am interested in thouse units, but firstly i prefer to know what kind of software can manage this system,

For example: I create a clip with a 3840 x 1024 resolution x 20 minutes. When is this video going to be divided in two separated video signals?

This video separation can be done in some software programs, for example Modul8 or Resolume Avenue. But this programs are mostly oriented for vjing and that is not my case, i want a stable and permanent solution.

Once signal is separated in one of this programs each part is routed to a videocard output. and then the Blending hardware will be perfect.

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
3,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manambros /forum/post/16958950

Hi Everyone,

I am designing an installation that will have 3 (or 4) projectors that will create a large screen. Each of these projectors will work with a minimum resolution of 1280 x 1024.

Then, the purpose of this installation is to reproduce a large video (3 x 1280) x 1024 = 3840 x 1024 aaarg!

I have been thinking on different solutions, but now two of them are the best for me (as far as i know)

- Using a pj4olp Matrox card. This will create a (3 x 1280) x 1024 = 3840 x 1024 screen. Then the main problem is-> what software can manage this resolution? And if it´s possible to manage it, is this program stable and professional enought? Other solution could be using a Video streaming servers, like DOREMI, the problem is that they don´t manage resolutions that are not a standard (like this one).

- Using 3 (or 4, depending on the number of projectors) video servers, all synchronized with a main computer. This solution is the most stable, but i have to create the media content and then capture segments for each projector, and also maintenance and error correction is hard.

Has anyone idea of how i can solve (or improve) my system?

I will appreciate any help, thanks a lot!!!!!

Why would you use 3 projectors to get a 3840x1024 image.

Why not just use 2 widescreen projectors and get a 3840x1080 image, and any computer that supports dual monitors will support this resolution assuming it has adequate memory.

Are you sure CRT is the way to go here? You are looking at 1200 lumens for a top of the line unit.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like a really fun idea, however does it justify the cost? Why need a screen that big?

·
Registered
595 Posts
The inexpensive way to do it is with a Matrox triplehead2go box, which'll let you run triple resolutions up to 3x1680x1050.

But as Athanasios pointed out, you have to do some blending. With digitals set up VERY carefully, and depending on quality requirements, you might get away with edge matching rather than blending. But with CRTs, or if you need a flawless transition, blending is necessary.

You could roll your own software to do it (say, running your video through a live avisynth script that would chop / blend). It all depends what your money-to-time ratio is.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manambros /forum/post/16959975

Hi,

I am interested in thouse units, but firstly i prefer to know what kind of software can manage this system,

For example: I create a clip with a 3840 x 1024 resolution x 20 minutes. When is this video going to be divided in two separated video signals?

This video separation can be done in some software programs, for example Modul8 or Resolume Avenue. But this programs are mostly oriented for vjing and that is not my case, i want a stable and permanent solution.

Once signal is separated in one of this programs each part is routed to a videocard output. and then the Blending hardware will be perfect.

Thanks a lot

You don't have to make the clip that large you can still use 1920x1080p , the TV one units zoom the certain section of the video so only that section is displayed on the one PJ, so it zooms the image to a point where you have a little more than 1/3 on one PJ you need a little more for the overlap on each side for a three PJ blend.

Athanasios

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Nashoo is correct and do not assume that the higher the resolution fed into the video processor will yield a better picture...it has to be able to resolve it! (What projectors will you be using?)

multi head Matrox and dscalers plugins won't do it if you want a decent movie watching experience!

Nvidia has this capability now but I have not tried it personalty,but others report that it is ok.

If this was a mall video wall or something I would have said it will do!

TVOne is the way to go but my guess is that most folks looking into it have a slight heart attach when they see the price list.

...but then again who said that proper pro gear is cheap!

Good luck

Martin

·
Registered
596 Posts
I must be missing something here - But I see no advantage to what you are trying to do.

If you are using digital projectors, then you will not be using the full 1280 pixels on each projector. Unless your final AR is way out of wack, your blend percentage would be very high - The total actual pixels displayed will only be 1280. It will also not be any brighter and you will have to deal with two blend zones.

If you are using analog projectors, you will end up wasting large amounts of raster width, have two blend zones and no more light output as the screen distance will still be determined by raster height just as with using two projectors.

Bob

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
...I think we have another case of: "More Pjs/higher numbers and pixels must equal/yield a better PQ!"

you can do this with one 9 inch CRT...no need for anything else! some of them go as far as 2500P (...good luck finding source material to play at those settings!)

1080p is more than enough these days for a stunning picture quality! (...just check out the screenshot wars area of this forum!)

Spend you money on the video chain...like a HD SDI player and VP...then connect all this to a high end 9 incher and you got visual nirvana!!! (Even that isn't really required for a visual nirvana experience!....nice to have though!)

For 3 dimentinality and proper colors (Blacks/whites and flesh tones) nothing in the "short" term can touch the PQ coming out of one of our beloved (3) "three eyes beasts"!

Martin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.