AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spending 1 year in our new home, I'm itching to turn the basement into a HT room. I helped my sister a few yrs ago do her large basement in a Klipsch THX ultra2 setup, but I don't have anywhere near her budget to have the same in my home. I'm looking for opinions on setting up a 5.1 system for ~$1K (excl. sub).

~540 sf room w/8' ceilings. I'm planning on setting up a PJ w/screen on the back wall, but if you guys have a better suggestion, I'm open to is as I'm still in the planning/budget stage. I'm worried my budget won't get me a great sounding HT setup. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
You could do a pretty nice system for that. Is this mainly for movies?

If so something like the Klipsch RF across the front and some less expensive for the surrounds if the klipsch surrounds are out of budget.

You could do a nice PSB setup for that amount.

HSU

BIC

Most would be bookshelf setups, but with a good sub you won't lose out too much on not having towers.

It would help to have your seating area as close as possible. Depends on your screen size of course.

What projector(s) are you considering?

Gene

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, 100% movies/TV. I'm looking more into the suggestions here, but keep them coming

I'm leaning heavily towards the Mits HC4000 for a PJ, but haven't entirely ruled out the Epson 8350.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Have you considered buying your center and fronts now and going 3.1 for the present, and then adding surrounds at your budget allows? The front 3 are 85% of your system and you'll get a significantly better better system if you invest that $1,000 in your front three now and then backfill the surrounds later when you can afford it.

One reason I suggest this strategy is that that is a pretty big space. You're going to want some substantial fronts and a good sized sub.

As far as brands go, I would look into the Polk TSi500 fronts and the CS20 center. Shop around and you can find them within your budget. You'll get a lot of clarity which is going to be important in that size space.

Also, are you going to use the whole space for the theater or are you building any walls. Which is the "back" wall, the one opposite the stairs? If so, do you plan on putting the screen in the "top" area?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
If your going to consider the Polk TSi line, why not save yourself some cash and look at newegg.com at the Polk Monitor Series II line. The old style of the TSi, almost the same specs too. They can be had for well under half price of the TSi.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
For a space that big, if you're not going to use all of it, you could try getting thick curtains to be able to pull shut during movies, allowing some of the sound to stay inside your listening/viewing area

(You can set up something like the curtain racks hospitals have around patients for example)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've thought about doing 3.1 to start, but given how things usually go, the "fund" for the other 2-4 surrounds will never get any attention. I'd much rather do it in one shot then hope to get the $ together at some other point (at which time I'd have to convince the wife that there's going to be a material difference in sound by spending $xK on surrounds).

Initially, I wanted to take one of the storage rooms and convert it into a smaller, dedicated space, but w/having to do the electrical/HVAC/finishing to that space, there wouldn't be much left over for the A/V portion. The curtains sound interesting esp. if I could run it along a "track" of sorts attached to the ceiling. I'll have to look into that more, but not sure how aesthetically pleasing that would be.

The screen is planned for the wide wall (make a right after coming down the stairs). I felt it would be better for surround speaker placement as I could put the surrounds directly on the side walls.

Newegg has a bundle going on for Klipsch RF62 II fronts, RC52 ctr, RS52 surround, SW310 sub and Onkyo NR709 at $1,820. I haven't looked at Klipsch in a long time b/c people claimed they were too "bright." How's this bundle look vs. a Bic or HSU setup?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
For a large room and that budget, it's a pretty easy recommendation. BIC Acoustech line. Efficient, nice sounding, within your budget.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts