AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I'm fairly new to the "better than htib" stuff so please excuse me for that. but here is where I'm at: Confused =)-

I've been reading on here for a while and most people don't have the size room I do. so any help is appreciated!

I have a onkyo tx-sr608 7.2 and I am in need of some speakers. but here's my problem, my basement theater/room is 16.5 X 31 10ft high with seating 10' from the back wall, I know rooms this large are very hard to get good sound out of and I don't have a huge budget.

My budget is $700 for left/rigt front, center, and a sub, I have a decent pair of JBL Control 1 Pro 5" Bookshelf/ Moniters I can use for surround for now.

I have been looking at the BIC F12 Sub, what do you think? i'm open as long as its in my price range

and I'm completly open on the speakers, they do not have to be sat speakers, I actually would prefer a larger side speakers that could carry a little bass but still have good vocal. so no worries about size or looks.

I also need a good center channel, my usage would be 60% TV, 20% Movies, 20% music

I"m not opposed to a 5.0 or 5.1 package in my price range, I just thought I might get more if I used my old speakers and upgraded them later

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Being brutally honest you have almost enough in your budget for a just a subwoofer powerful enough to fill a 5700cuft room. I'm being brutally honest so I don't set expectations too high and not to be a jerk. That said what you might be able to get away with is a pair of the Bic's used as end table so that they are close ups. That would leave just about enough money for a pair of Infinity Primus P162 bookshelves and a PC250 center up front. If you need to shave a few bucks off then I'd go with three P162 up front. Having the subs up close like that will help a lot but just don't expect to shake the room the way a pair of $500 subs would - but that's okay, the sub upgrade can come later.

A second option is a pair of Polk Monitor 40 s which are still on sale and a CS2 center , and two of the Bics as end tables. I prefer the Infinities but tastes vary and the Polks are decent and lots cheaper while on sale.

Your idea of using your old speakers as surrounds is very good thinking and I think you're off to a decent start. Later you can retask your old speakers as the start of a bedroom system.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
The JBL-Pro 8320 series speaker which is wall-mountable and is THX rated for actual movie theaters, not just a home, so you can easily consider it a THX Ultra-2 capable speaker made for very large rooms. It's CHEAP at $155 for a pair off this site:

http://www.studiogears.com/jbl_8320_...63502_prd1.htm

http://www.theavspot.com/jbl-8320

I would recommend if your room truly is large, that you look into at LEAST two decent sized powered subs, and ideally use 4 moderately sized subwoofers. Try to find the best bang for buck subs you can with at least a 12" sub in the design. Your budget should be higher than $800. I have given you the cheapest option to obtain the very best sound for a very large room.

Here is the type of cheap but decent sub you will need and for a 5700 sqft room, you will need 4 of them to get enough bass. At $171 each, that will pretty much be your budget for the bass alone. You will want them set on the 4 sides of the room and in a pinch they could be corner loaded but I wouldn't recommend that until trying the 4-sides of the room first:
http://www.google.com/products/catal...676&os=reviews

The outlined plan is the CHEAPEST way I have ever found to fill a room that size with THX capable volume levels (and I have looked over a great deal of options to find those JBL 8320 speakers for that cheap).

Also, for a room that is 5700 cuft, you WILL NEED acoustic treatments or you will have horrible echos and might as well not even bother trying to install anything that sounds nice because it will do you no good without room treatments.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Look for some used Klipsch Cornwalls or (even better) LaScalas. They might not be in pristine condition for that price (and they might)

My room is about 16 x 25/29 (I've never measured the length) by 8 1/2' ceilings. Little doubt to me that the LaScalas would be up to that task.

Add more later on as time/budget allows

If you are anywhere near Knoxville, TN, you are welcome to swing by for a listen

·
Registered
17,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coytee /forum/post/19641710

Look for some used Klipsch Cornwalls or (even better) LaScalas. They might not be in pristine condition for that price (and they might)

My room is about 16 x 25/29 (I've never measured the length) by 8 1/2' ceilings. Little doubt to me that the LaScalas would be up to that task.

Add more later on as time/budget allows

If you are anywhere near Knoxville, TN, you are welcome to swing by for a listen

+ 1 .. similar size space, my Cornwalls do a fine job, and no need for a sub as well ..

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn /forum/post/19641737

+ 1 .. similar size space, my Cornwalls do a fine job, and no need for a sub as well ..

Aren't the Klipsch Cornwalls a classic speaker? Wouldn't a decent, intact pair of Cornwalls run more than his $800 budget?

·
Registered
17,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy91 /forum/post/19642052

Aren't the Klipsch Cornwalls a classic speaker? Wouldn't a decent, intact pair of Cornwalls run more than his $800 budget?

A used pair on craigslist .. certainly not a new pair ..
.. I have seen good condition units as low as $500 a pair .. of course, he'll need to know what to look and listen for .. not hard to learn .. ebay as well if the seller is close enough for pickup ..

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn /forum/post/19642135

A used pair on craigslist .. certainly not a new pair ..
.. I have seen good condition units as low as $500 a pair .. of course, he'll need to know what to look and listen for .. not hard to learn .. ebay as well if the seller is close enough for pickup ..

Yeah, buyer beware. Unless you can inspect and test the speakers before buying, I would not buy. Especially not a set online. Now I would buy a pair of the enclosures for like $150 if they were available and then buy new replacement drivers/crossover and put them in. THEN if it's under budget, I would think it's a great deal. But, these speakers' sound isn't for everyone and require proper placement, room treatment and definitely will need EQ work to matchup with other surround/center speakers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, great info so far, keep it coming. as for used I'm 100 miles north east of atlanta ga in the middle of no where, used is prob not an option.

The JBL 8320's look intresting, anyone have a comment on them, good or BAD, can my tx-sr608 handle them? and what about a center with them?

I also understand that I will need at least 2 subs, in my $700 budget I'm only accounting for 1, I will get buy a few month on that until I can get another one. so that will open up a little more for speakers. I don't mind growning my system over time.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswinehart /forum/post/19642259

ok, great info so far, keep it coming. as for used I'm 100 miles north east of atlanta ga in the middle of no where, used is prob not an option.

The JBL 8320's look intresting, anyone have a comment on them, good or BAD, can my tx-sr608 handle them? and what about a center with them?

I also understand that I will need at least 2 subs, in my $700 budget I'm only accounting for 1, I will get buy a few month on that until I can get another one. so that will open up a little more for speakers. I don't mind growning my system over time.

Need to do some homework on the price but may be worth the 100mi drive, from Craigslist: Premium Klipsch Speakers for Home Theater

·
Registered
17,353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensctt /forum/post/19642396

Need to do some homework on the price but may be worth the 100mi drive, from Craigslist: Premium Klipsch Speakers for Home Theater

It's not a bad deal at $850 .. green money would probably get them for less .. hell, if I lived within a 100 miles of it, I'd take a look myself ..

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswinehart /forum/post/19642259

Used is an option if you are willing to buy replacement drivers and install them yourself. If you want a finished speaker, I would recommend against a speaker design over 20 years old (the Cornwall is like 40+ years old).

Quote:
The JBL 8320's look intresting, anyone have a comment on them, good or BAD,

It is a professional grade speaker. Constructed to be used in actual professional theaters. I'm sure the sound quality will be fine. Your room acoustics are the biggest hurdle and will make or break any speaker system you setup in this room. With a big room and high SPL speakers, your least concern is how 'delicate' or 'hifi' the speakers sound. Your room acoustics are going to determine FAR more about the character of the sound will hear. I recommend taking pictures of the room, drawing a diagram of the room and then posting the pictures on here along with the diagram and get suggestions on how to treat the room acoustics within your budget.

Quote:
can my tx-sr608 handle them?

No. That THX-Select receiver's power is only rated to work in a room of 1500 square feet. It's not going to have a powerful enough amp if you want the full capability of the THX spec.

Quote:
and what about a center with them?

I would recommend buying 8 of these and going with a 7.4 setup and just putting one of them in the closet as a "backup" speaker. You don't need a traditional center channel in a room this size. Just wall mount it above, below or behind the screen. You could potentially paralell wire two of these speakers one above the screen, one below it but I recommend against that as it might cause a lobing effect on the sound as well as strain the hell out of your amplifier.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensctt /forum/post/19642396

This is a horn driven speaker system but I would advise you to do the JBL pro speakers because those Klipsch drivers are fairly small, especially the dual 5.25-inch woofers on the center channel. I'm not very high on that choice for a 5700-sqft room. You better consult some people who have large rooms and the Klipsch speaker system before buying. Also, that Klipsch system is only 5.1, although the surrounds will give a bit of an effect of having more speakers.

All things considered, the JBL system can give professional results and the Klipsch system will be your standard-fare consumer results. Whatever you do, you MUST treat that room.

·
Registered
17,353 Posts
I figured the discussion would eventually lead to mis information .. the Cornwall has been in production since at least the late 1950's, discontinued briefly and then brough back due to customer demand .. I purchased my set in 1969 and it contains all original components that continue to work flawlessly .. your 608 will drive these with no problem at very fullfilling volume in your space ..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hmmm, ok so my reciever won't handle the JBL's? but what if I ran 3-5 of them? 3 up front, then maybe surrounds later? how far off would I be? i honestly don't blast my sound to the max but I do want to have good speakers with a good sound.

the klipsch mentioned above, would my reciever handle them?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswinehart /forum/post/19642754

hmmm, ok so my reciever won't handle the JBL's? but what if I ran 3-5 of them? 3 up front, then maybe surrounds later? how far off would I be? i honestly don't blast my sound to the max but I do want to have good speakers with a good sound.

the klipsch mentioned above, would my reciever handle them?

Not familiar with the JBLs but your receiver will easily handle the Klipsch speakers above.

·
Registered
19,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn /forum/post/19642752

I figured the discussion would eventually lead to mis information .. the Cornwall has been in production since at least the late 1950's, discontinued briefly and then brough back due to customer demand .. I purchased my set in 1969 and it contains all original components that continue to work flawlessly .. your 608 will drive these with no problem at very fullfilling volume in your space ..

Onecall.com sells the Cornwall speaker.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn /forum/post/19642652

.. green money would probably get them for less ..

Yep, the common Craiglist transaction, show up with $700, $750 max and have a story something like, "wife/girlfriend, father, mother, uncle, etc. only gave me $700 and it is all I got!" Very few will turn down cash in-hand.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The JBL 8320 would be easily handled by your amplifier given their 8 ohm impedance and high sensitivity. Having said this, they aren't really suitable for fronts. They are designed as surrounds to be wall mounted up high with the 20 degree angle on their front baffle. The idea of using pro JBL speakers in such a large room is a good one tho.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.