AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hey guys,

My front left/right speakers are Polk Audio RTi A9s which are just over 48" tall.

I'm planning on a 129" wide acoustically transparent cinemascope screen with all the speakers behind it, but I'm worried about the position of the tweaters on those speakers.

If I mount the screen 20" from the floor and it has a 3.5" trim around it, that means the acoustic screen starts at 23.5" off the ground.

I figure I could mount the speaker at 21" off the ground without blocking the port, but that will mean the tweeters are at 63.5" off the ground which is kind of high.

I've heard you should try to keep the tweeters in line with your center and at about eye level from your money seat.

I know I can do some adjustments to the receiver to partially compensate for this.

Is anybody else doing this and are there really issues with it or it's fine?

Here's a diagram.  The tweeters are 6" from the top of those towers.

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
343 Posts
Maybe mount your screen where it's best for your eyes and then move the speakers around later to be the best effect you can gett? Worst case you could always tilt your speakers to provide the best experience for the money seat knowing that it will have some degree of an adverse effect on the other listening positions in the room. Just a thought...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

rkinmoval,

Yeah, I do have the screen at the height I want it.

Thanks Jeff,

I was assuming that having that 3.5" border and the framing in the way wouldn't be ideal.  Do you think that would be better than just keeping the speaker higher?

How bad do you think it will be with the speaker the way I had it placed?  I'm thinking it's probably ok once I do the room correction with the receiver, but just wanted to know if anyone has first hand experience with a setup like this.

Other reason I can't just place the speakers on the floor is I was hoping for a 10" stage, so the speaker would have to be at least 10" off the ground.

Bill

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bill I have the same problem.

I have a 12" high stage with Paradigm Signature S8's which are 48" high with the tweeters at the top of the towers.

I plan to tilt the towers down toward the first row.

That's what i'm going to try first.

Wish I would have purchased different speakers.

Russ

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks Russ,

Let me know how it turns out.

I bought these speakers before deciding I needed a home theatre.  I really love them ... they sound great.  Problem was that after I got these and a subwoofer for my family room my wife now thinks that everything's too loud even when it's way below reference levels.

So I end up getting a really good boxing day deal on a bunch of equipment and save a few thousand dollars, and now it's forcing me to spend way more on a dedicated sound isolation theatre in the basement.  So much for saving money ...

Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts