AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finishing a big remodel, getting ready for a new Tv

Problem is between spending dollars on the remodel and with the economy as it is my work is really slow......I am really tight on dollars

Going to wall mount the new set and the primary viewing distance will be about 20 feet......I was going to go with a Pan P50x1, But I just am afraid it will seem too small......Current budget would be not much more than 1000.00

Any ideas or suggestions? I am starting to think go without until Tax refund time next year and get something in the 58 to 50 inch range But of course I really do not want to wait, at the same time I do not want to waste the money on something that will just be too small!

So what do you think, is there any hope?

·
Registered
91 Posts
man thats a tough one, um if you wouldnt mind it, wait till labor day and see if you can grad one of the new mitsubishi dlp's. the 60" is 1299 now but im sure itll drop for labor day sales. i would find it really hard to watch something smaller from 20 feet. you could also go the front projector route...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I considered a projector But that would eliminate any daytime watching I believe for the room brightness.

Considered a shelf mounted RPTv in a larger scale as well But we strived to open this wall to open up the room during the remodel (Took out closet at top of stairs) See picture http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/i...=DSC_33s81.jpg It is just a 2 foot shelf and TV would really effect the flow of the room now compared to the bump of a wall mounted flat panel sticking out 6 inches or so at the most?

(Carpet and railing not being put in until after my new kitchen countertops are delivered)

This would be the view and demonstrates the natural daylight http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/i...t=DSC_3380.jpg and another perspective showing the room as well http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/i...t=DSC_3378.jpg Most of our Tv watching is in the evening and night But in the summer it does not get dark until much later

I have a 50 inch Sony RPTv downstairs, I do like it but I hope to get a plasma for upstairs If I save longer I could get a 58 or 60 inch Plasma To save dollars would even consider a blow out model from the last year.....Oh if only layaway still existed then at least I could lock in and work towards a larger size!

Well it seems sadly so far your thoughts re the same in general as mine, I probably know all this But was hoping I was overthinking or overlooking.

Still welcom your thoughts on it.....should I wait til I can get larger in Plasma, should I change the type of Tv for the room?

·
Registered
91 Posts
ya id give it a wait, or like the poster above, you could go looking for a used one, the only problem with past models, they cost a lot more than this years, so some of them, even with a huge discount, cost relativley the same as this year, but there may be some out there. my other thought would be, you could go to a b&m like sears or bestbuy and buy from them using financing, some have a 36month no interest. not bad if you dont mind signing up for a credit card, or already have one. this way you can get the tv now, and pay it off when you get your refund

·
Registered
188 Posts
Why are you limited to staying at 20ft, that's a long way from a tv?

65" sets are rediculously expensive. You would be better off bying a cheap projection.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by snownut /forum/post/17021490

Why are you limited to staying at 20ft, that's a long way from a tv?

65" sets are rediculously expensive. You would be better off bying a cheap projection.

Looking at the room

Sofa goes to the right hand wall

which does not leave many options IF we put sofa with back against half wall, have wories about kids climbing the back of the sofa and tumbling over and crashing on the stairs
That is why we are thinking a wall mount to the left wall of the stairs (as seen in pic) makes the most sense

·
Registered
91 Posts
well you can get a stand and put the tv on that, that way 50 could work, otherwise like i said above, you could go through a store that offers financing, i know a lot of people that have gone this way. i would go with the stand though, because even with a bigger tv, you will have to look up and would probably have to at least be sitting on a couch to see over that wall., i would prefer a slim stand that goes right in front of the wall before the stairs

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrol /forum/post/17021848

You're gonna put your TV in the stairwell so you'll be looking over that half wall when watching?

Yes in essence that is our thought

Here is the view With the Tv centered left to right mounted to the full wall in the picture (A custom blind is being made for the 1/2 round window to further block light/glare when needed)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambo172008 /forum/post/17021874

well you can get a stand and put the tv on that, that way 50 could work, otherwise like i said above, you could go through a store that offers financing, i know a lot of people that have gone this way. i would go with the stand though, because even with a bigger tv, you will have to look up and would probably have to at least be sitting on a couch to see over that wall., i would prefer a slim stand that goes right in front of the wall before the stairs

You would be surprised, sitting at sofa height, you are just looking out pretty much in a natural position ahead not really looking upward,

it will actually be a very comfortable position for watching the TV, Oh if only the distance was a little shorter!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtytwoinch /forum/post/17022021

why not put th sofa on the half-wall and the tv across from it on the right wall.

20 foot viewing distance is huge.

We have visitors with kids, grandkids and more

IF we put sofa with back against half wall, have wories about kids climbing the back of the sofa and tumbling over and crashing on the stairs

·
Registered
326 Posts
20 feet oh man, that is beyond the beyond. I suggest projector screen. No TV can satisfy at 20 feet unless you spend just a tad more and wait for the Panny 85" monster which will cost you only an arm and a leg and sternum.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
man, Im 12 feet from a 94" screen and I wish I coulf go bigger....at 20 feet, I'd be watching through binoculars!

I would consider putting the couch against the stairs. The kids would be in more danger of walking around the half wall to the edge of the stairs and going down then over the wall. I have a 2 year old and a 5 year old. While they both like to climb on the couches, only the older one jumps over it. But at his age he knows enough not to jump somthing with a big drop.

The 2 year old knows better as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, that space does present some difficulties. If kids are the concern, why not position the couch more into the room, out and away from the half-wall, to prevent access to it? Sofas and chairs often look better not pushed right back against walls anyway. Or if not, how about a decorative railing or low-rise barrier of some kind on top of the half wall to prevent someone climbing onto it? If it were me, I'd be looking for ways to have that flatscreen mounted against the wall across from the stairwell. Twenty feet is a loooong viewing distance, not to mention the difficulties of access and wiring that stairwell position might entail. But just my 2 cents. Good luck with the joy that is home reno!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.