AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the Channel Master 3010 Stealthtenna with the thought of putting it on top of my chimney, thinking I couldn't get a good enough signal by placing it in the attic. I tried it in the attic (about a 20 ft RG6 run)and am getting almost all of the HD stations, which are located 15 miles away, all towers within 2 degrees from my house. The signal strength is very marginal on a couple of them. Rather than moving it outside which will be a pain, should I purchase a bigger antenna for the attic or purchase a preamplifier such as the CM 7777? The price would be about the same for either option, though I would probably have to increase the RG6 run with the antenna to find a place big enough for it in the attic.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
By and large, a bigger antenna does a better job of increasing the signal to noise ratio than an amp. Since the Stealthtenna is a compromise of function to form to start with, and an attic mount kills the appearance factor while adding reflections that an amp would, well, amplify, I'd go with a better designed antenna for sure.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The first thing you should do is experiment with placement in the attic. Maybe you will find a sweet spot? It's worth some time, and you don't have to buy anything else.

Next, if your signal is just on the bad side of marginal, why not try the outside installation? Outside should give you enough of a signal increase to get you over the hump.

It just seems to me that you already bought the antenna, one that is compomised as an antenna in order to make outside installation easier and more asthetically pleasing. Why not go with your original plan?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried moving it around in the attic, but could not get any better signals. I am still not getting one of the networks. I guess I will procees with the outside installation.

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.