AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm remodeling the old house and looking forward to installing the biggest panal available. Any crystal ballers out there have thoughts on what will be in the candy shop?

Thanks!

Ray

·
Registered
388 Posts
Fujitsu 63" (Jan) & Samsung 63" (now)

Jim

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The 84" has a large plus sign running through it though.

I do believe the Samsung 70" has a real shot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The "Vision 84" is actually two (2) displays put together. An old trick from Staging and Rental biz.

Hmmm, by 2004? You may see some prototype Samsung NED (NanoEmissive Display) technology as licensed to them by Motorola.

1/3 the weight, 1/3 the power consumption and 1/3 the price of LCD/Plasma units and no burn-in to worry about.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The Motorola press release ( http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/...436_23,00.html ) was done for PR reasons and it succeeded with many reprints around the world.

This more pessimistic view is from Geek.com:
Quote:
Right now, Organic Light-Emitting Diodes are the front-runner in the next-generation display category, and Motorola's nanotube display technology isn't nearly as developed as OLED technology. Since there are myriad technical difficulties associated with CNTs, and OLED development is much farther along, it is somewhat unlikely that we will ever see CNT-based displays.
I think any promising technology is great news but it's definitely not "around the corner." I saw a front-page article in EE Times many, many years ago on technology that ultimitely became known as DLP. The number of years it took to commercialize the invention is shocking. The invention goes back to 1977 (!) with the first DMD/DLP chip announced in 1990. Only recently, afordable devices went into production.

Mike

·
Registered
698 Posts
The 84" plasma is actually 4 plasmas put together.84 inches is diagonal not horizontal.bm

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I actually think the Motorola press release was borderline moronic.

They thoroughly overhyped the when, the price, etc. They will now automatically underdeliver.

Smarter people underpromise and overdeliver.

There will not be a product based on Motorola's technology at any size or price until at least 2005. And more significantly, the first commercial xED product will almost certainly come from Canon-Toshiba.

Mark

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The Samsung 70, according to other threads, is scheduled for Q2 2004. It will be a 1980x1080 full resolution display. The LG 71 1080p display may also be available, but it's hard to say. The Samsung 63 (newer version) is available this month, and the Fujitsu 63 in January. Both are 768p displays; as between the two, the Fujitsu is likely to look somewhat better because of its better internal scaling engine (but that's just my guess).

I would note that the screen area difference between a 63 and a 71-inch diagonal display is about 12.5% (which is not dramatic), and there will likely be a large price premium for the 1080p sets. On HD, ALL these sets look good. How they will look on DVD and on SD material is still unknown.

I am finishing my home in November, and will probably go with the Samsung or Fujitsu plus an outboard scaler.

Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.