AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have become so enamored with my Plasma TV's that I am thinking of replacing my Pioneer Elite Pro-710 RPTV for my home theater.

Although my new 503CMX is a beautiful set, it would be just a little too small for that application and I would like to achieve slightly better black levels.

I was wondering what you guy's think of the NEC 61" Plasma and if anyone has any idea how long before Panasonic or Pioneer come out with a 61" display?

Anyone have first hand experience with the NEC or know of another 61" Plasma I should consider.

Thanks for your thoughts :)

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
note that the pixel density is about the same for the 42" and 50 plasmas; it's as if you cut the 42" rectangle out of the 50".

this isn't the case with the marantz 61"; it has the same pixel count as the 50" sets...therefore the pixels are spaced farther apart on the larger set.

you would want to know this about the pioneer, smsung, etc.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are the NEC and the Marantz the same panel, same #of pixels?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Phil,

I have been able to play with the NEC 61 quite a bit here, and I do not think it compares well with the better 50" models. Personally, I would wait a bit for another generation or two before dropping that kind of dinero on that pq. the size is quite noticeably larger than the 50's, but more artifact issues and the darks do not resolve as nicely as on the 50's. This may be an NEC issue, as their smaller displays exhibit these issues compared to the panasonic and pioneer's imo.

I have not heard of panasonic or pioneer hitting that size yet.

glad you are enjoying your new toy.

take care

george

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
jlm -

What do mean spaced farther apart on 61"????

1365 x .987mm / 25.4 = 53.xx"

61" diag = about 53 3/16 x 29"

What am I missing here?

Free -

NEC looks nearly identical to Marantz even "accuColor" , pip, zoom etc. to me.

regards, Bruce

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
my point was that both the 50" and 61" displays have the same total number of pixels, not the same number of pixels per inch.

when displaying the same image, there is a lot of stuff in the 61" image area that is not image, hence poorer pq.

by the way the pioneer spaces the pixels at .80mm x.86mm

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guy's I appreciate the opinions...but can't you all agree ;)

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
the problem i see with agreement on this forum is that people don't always read carefully; consequently. the content for comparisons varies.

if two displays have the same number of pixels, but one is larger then, specs be-damned or not, the larger image can't be as highly resolved: 10" of image will contain fewer pixels in the larger display.

Now viewing impression may differ, but to make a reasonable comparison, you have to equalize as many variables as possible: like image content and source, viewing distance, set-up, background lighting, etc. Good luck with that one.

the only comparative generalities you can accurately make are verifiable specs like pixel count; things like contrast ratio, brightness are all subject to a meandering standard of measurment.

i know that the marantz 61" and the panasonic 50" have the same number of pixels; i don't know about pixel count for any other large sets, but that is crucial info.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
jlm -

I agree some don't read carefully enough and some don't use the search function enough either. I think I read your comments too careful and your statement that :

"pixels are spaced farther apart on the larger set." Could lead one to believe there is space in between. The point was that the pixel sizes themselves are larger on the larger set. In this case about 15% horzontal.

BTW Pioneer = .858mm horz x .808mm vert

NEC 61 & Marantz = .989mm sq

I agree that all of the other factors (contrast etc.) are equally or more important. I recall many threads back in June- July timeframe explaining that very fact about the panny 42. Whose pixel size happens to be 1.08mm. And the consenus was that at greater that 5' or 6', one could not distinguish the pixels. So at full resolution, would that not hold true for a larger set? Given comparable 'other factors'. And add to that, I am assuming, people wanting that large of a set will be viewing from further distances anyway.

But I'm not trying to argue with you - I've read many of your posts and have learned a great deal from them.

In closing, I don't think I can distingiush a little over 1/32" (pio .858mm) at 8' to 10'. I work in 64ths" all day long but only at very close distances.

Best Regards, Bruce

·
Registered
21 Posts
There is currently only one 61" manufacturer making glass. NEC makes the glass for Runco, Marantz and themselves. It does not mean that these products are all the same but it is importnat to realize who is actually shipping product.

Fujitsu is introducing a 61-inch at CES this year (NEC Glass, I think) and Panasonic is talking about a 60-inch by the middle of next year.

In terms of pixels being larger, that is not necessarily true. When monitors have the same resolution (pixels) but larger, could also mean they are able to put some heavy black striping in betweeen the pixels which helps the black level on most sets.

Gleek

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guy's, I need your advice again :)

I have tracked down a great deal on the 61" NEC (61MP1) Plasma. It is a demo unit that was used at Cedia.

The price to me would be $13000 :eek:

Should I go for it??

·
Registered
925 Posts
it's only money, babe :)

seriously though, you might not want to buy the first 60" unit out of the starting gate. furthermore, probably one of the first 50 units produced worldwide.

remember how far we've come in 18 months or so with the 50s.

if i were you, i'd hold off until you see a few more units hit. the prices will come down. they always do.

my two pennies.

doody.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Free
Hey guy's, I need your advice again :)

I have tracked down a great deal on the 61" NEC (61MP1) Plasma. It is a demo unit that was used at Cedia.

The price to me would be $13000 :eek:

Should I go for it??
Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
For about the same price of the 61" NEC, you can buy four 42" NEC MP3s and stack them together with out additional equipment, effectively resulting in an 84" plasma display. Or if your have extremely deep pockets, you can buy nine of them and create a 126" plasma display for around $45,000.00.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Actually, those 4 42" screens would have significantly higher pixel count than the one 61" while also being far bigger. That sounds like a sweet display :).

Mark

·
Registered
469 Posts
At the CEDIA show in Indy recently, I saw 3 60-61" Plasmas. The NEC, Hitachi, and the Zenith. All are in the $28K price range. So, if you can get the NEC for $13K, go for it.(That's almost 1/2 price). All three looked very good, but its hard to compare, since all three use different test material. Many at the show are showing A Bug's Life (it looks exceptional). Still, if you are considering a $28,000.00 , shouldn't you consider a CRT and double it to a 120" pix? Makes sense to me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.