AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I needed a very big screen for a pretty big sized room. Viewing distance is about 18 ft from screen. Am I able to do 153" Cinemascope screen with a 1.0 gain for the Epson LS10000 projector with decent brightness? Projector Central's calculator is showing only 10fL for "Video/Games"with a max room lighting of 1fc .... but if I choose "Data/Text" with a max room lighting of 5fc I get a higher Image Brightness of 19fL? Is there a bug on that calculator? I'm confused.:confused:

Another requirement of the screen is that it must be ceiling recessed.

·
Registered
30,244 Posts
Hi everyone,

I needed a very big screen for a pretty big sized room. Viewing distance is about 18 ft from screen. Am I able to do 153" Cinemascope screen with a 1.0 gain for the Epson LS10000 projector with decent brightness? Projector Central's calculator is showing only 10fL for "Video/Games"with a max room lighting of 1fc .... but if I choose "Data/Text" with a max room lighting of 5fc I get a higher Image Brightness of 19fL? Is there a bug on that calculator? I'm confused.:confused:
Is that 153" wide or diagonal? If wide, then that is too big. If diagonal, you would have around 14.4FL calibrated, using high lamp. While the light source dims, very slowly, that is not the starting point that I would want. I would either, reduce screen size, increase screen gain or go with a different projector.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that 153" wide or diagonal? If wide, then that is too big. If diagonal, you would have around 14.4FL calibrated, using high lamp. While the light source dims, very slowly, that is not the starting point that I would want. I would either, reduce screen size, increase screen gain or go with a different projector.
Mike, Thank you for your quick reply. Yes, that is diagonal. If I downsize it to 135" diagonal 2.35:1 with a gain of 1.0, will it be much better? and what's the FL value? Do you have any make/model recommendation for recessed in-ceiling screen of this size? Viewing distance is about 18 ft from the screen. (might be able to move forward a bit if it is a bit too far from recommended distance) Thanks once again!

·
Registered
30,244 Posts
Mike, Thank you for your quick reply. Yes, that is diagonal. If I downsize it to 135" diagonal 2.35:1 with a gain of 1.0, will it be much better? and what's the FL value? Do you have any make/model recommendation for recessed in-ceiling screen of this size? Viewing distance is about 18 ft from the screen. (might be able to move forward a bit if it is a bit too far from recommended distance) Thanks once again!
With 18' viewing, I would not go smaller. Would probably go around 140" to 150" (diagonal 2.35) and use a screen with a little gain. Something with 1.3 gain would be good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts