AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I already own a Da-lite hi-power 65" x 116" (165x295cm)screen (was given to me) due to price I can only afford a DLP SVGA projector. (PG-M10s, U3-880) being only SVGA and only using it for DVD's (16x9, 2.35-1) my resolution will only be affectively 800 x 500 (approx). Is this screen too large for this resolution, I will only be sitting about 10 feet away. The room has the lenth (7 metres) and i will only be watching in a completely darkened room so 800 ansi lumen should be O.K. I know DLP has less pixelation anyway but i dont know about screen being this large and my distance fom screen fairly close. It was either this or opt for second hand XGA (LCD). Any opinions?? and I would be very interested to hear from anyone else who is using large screens for SVGA projectors and what the result is. Thanks Steve

·
Registered
733 Posts
Steve,

Why not start with the screen you have and see how it goes. I have a SVGA DLP projector and an XGA DLP. I don't notice pixels on either from 15 feet using a 120 inch diagonal for 4:3 material and I guess about 106 inches diagonal for 16:9. If you have a problem then zoom out to make the image smaller and border over the part of the screen you're not using (use black material to expunge DLP halo and improve perceived blacks).

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Grant,

Just a question since you have both, how much difference is there to the perceived eye between XGA and SVGA dlp projectors. You advised me you dont see pixels on either from 15 feet back if you were to stand about 10 feet is there a big difference really, I am only using it for DVD not for computer. Thanks

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a 8' wide screen now and have found the contrast better when projected 6' wide. It is just a matte white however I beleive a high gain screen would equal things at 8'. My room is 22x13' totally dark and the projector is a LP340 clone. Pixels not being seen is why I decided on a DLP. Even an 8' wide picture is fine and only around white letters do you ever notice pixels.

[This message has been edited by jmrobbins (edited 06-12-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.