AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to determine the largest screen I can go with based on the size of my room and the projector I have purchased. I choose the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5030UB 2D/3D 1080p 3LCD Projector and my room is 15' x 26' with a 9' ceiling. I plan on have 2 rows of seating with the front row on the floor approx.12-14 feet back and the back row is on a 7" riser approx. 20 feet from screen.

I purchased a Silver Ticket 135" Diagonal 16:9 HDTV screen as that seemed like the right size but wonder if I can go any bigger possibly to a 150" diagonal screen? I would appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I think you could easily go with a 150", thats what I have and my room is about 21' long, 16' wide, 2 rows of seating. The question might be the riser, although you have a little more length then I do. For my room I calculated that I needed a 13" riser. My screen is about 9-10" from the ceiling as well, and about 14" off the floor. A 150" screen is huge, 80" tall!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
If you have no previous experience with home cinema on a big screen the absolute best way is to mock up a temporary screen before locking down a purchase. Some like to be very close and some much further away. At 12' some would choose the 135" while others would prefer the 150". Viewing distance to screen ratio also depends on your viewing habits; wide screen movies, sports, video games, etc. It may take a few dozen hours of watching various content before you have a good grasp of your preference.
One generalization I can give though is that large screen envy is a more common affliction than regret.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you could easily go with a 150", thats what I have and my room is about 21' long, 16' wide, 2 rows of seating. The question might be the riser, although you have a little more length then I do. For my room I calculated that I needed a 13" riser. My screen is about 9-10" from the ceiling as well, and about 14" off the floor. A 150" screen is huge, 80" tall!
I would love to go up to 150' screen but you may be right that the line of sight for that back row may be an issue with a 7" riser. Potentially, I could make the riser higher if needed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you have no previous experience with home cinema on a big screen the absolute best way is to mock up a temporary screen before locking down a purchase. Some like to be very close and some much further away. At 12' some would choose the 135" while others would prefer the 150". Viewing distance to screen ratio also depends on your viewing habits; wide screen movies, sports, video games, etc. It may take a few dozen hours of watching various content before you have a good grasp of your preference.
One generalization I can give though is that large screen envy is a more common affliction than regret.
Thank you very much for your input. In a movie theater setting we typically prefer the middle to the rear of the theater and that is how I originally determined the screen size and seat placement. I am just now contemplating my selection but I can see how screen envy is a more of an affliction than a regret.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
You really need to sit down and draw out geometry......................

Your riser at 7 inches creates HUGE issues for second row.............viewing angles will require screen to move upward which will then create viewing issues in front row........ie. uncomfortable lifting of head upward.

Typically, 80 % rule for screen to room width ratio..................light on side walls becomes more of an issue going wider. No issue for you there.............................

Real problem comes with real estate on vertical plane...............

As far as going 150" diagonal....................that is cutting it close even if you build riser to 13-14 inches in height. That leaves you 28 inches at bottom to floor...................6 inches on top of screen to ceiling. I suspect 28 inches is too low even with 13-14 inch high riser.

Your better off with current purchase....................

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I am trying to determine the largest screen I can go with based on the size of my room and the projector I have purchased. I choose the Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5030UB 2D/3D 1080p 3LCD Projector and my room is 15' x 26' with a 9' ceiling. I plan on have 2 rows of seating with the front row on the floor approx.12-14 feet back and the back row is on a 7" riser approx. 20 feet from screen.

I purchased a Silver Ticket 135" Diagonal 16:9 HDTV screen as that seemed like the right size but wonder if I can go any bigger possibly to a 150" diagonal screen? I would appreciate any suggestions.
There are several things I would keep in mind.

One is that the SMPTE recommendations are to sit between 2x and 3x the image height. That is not necessarily the SCREEN height, but depends on what you mostly watch. If the majority of watching is 2.40:1 movies, then the 74" height of a 150" 16:9 screen is not really relevant -- instead you should be thinking in terms of the 54" height of the 2.40:1 image area. That would mean the SMPTE recommendation is for seating to be between 9' and 14' even with the 150" screen. Of course, if much of your content is 16:9 or 1.85:1, then the 74" screen height can be used and equates to seating between 12' and 18'. People sitting 20' away from a 135" image are NOT going to feel like they are in a theater, as that would be equivalent to further back than the back row of a modern theater.

Two is that depending on the content, the actual image will not be as low as the bottom of the screen, which will help with the sight-line from the second row. If most of your content was 2.40:1, then the actual image will begin 10" above the bottom of the screen. This is further complicated by the lens shift feature of the 5030UB, in that you can take the time to raise the image all the way up to the top of the screen if you want to take the time to use the lens shift. But just setting up the projector and leaving it alone, 2.40:1 movies will have a 10" tall black bar above and below the actual movie. I would still play it safe with a 15" riser and no more than 6.5' between seat backs and first row seatback at 12' and screen 16" off the floor.

Three is that the 5030UB is going to need to be mounted at its closest position to have the brightness needed for a 150" screen (15' lens to screen) even in 2D mode. This is because it loses a lot of brightness inside the lens system when placed farther away. If you had planned to mount at the back of the room, then even the 135" screen size would be a problem. 3D mode is also a bit dim at that size because the glasses only let light through half the time to each eye. So a safety measure might be to get a screen with a bit more gain than the Silver Ticket, without getting into "high power" ranges. Something still under 2.0 gain but more than the Silver Ticket's 1.1 gain. If you have no interest in 3D, then the Silver Ticket even at 150" should be fine as long as the projector is mounted no further than 15'.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Light out put based on throw is one thing.........but first, don't you feel working out screen geometries would be best before introducing anything else? At least know max size in vertical or horizontal plane.
They all go hand in hand. I would want to know what type of image does the projector throw at that size screen? Who best to answer than owners who know the projectors characteristics beyond a spec sheet. Screen material mated with the projector is another aspect owners can weight in on first hand. Size of image, placement etc will all fall I to place due to the projectors throw distance. To me that's the starting point.

Please don't think my suggestion to start there is in any way critical of the information provided in this thread. He's gotten a lot of terrific information. I just think he is missing the experienced feedback of those who own the projector

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
They all go hand in hand. I would want to know what type of image does the projector throw at that size screen? Who best to answer than owners who know the projectors characteristics beyond a spec sheet. Screen material mated with the projector is another aspect owners can weight in on first hand. Size of image, placement etc will all fall I to place due to the projectors throw distance. To me that's the starting point.

Please don't think my suggestion to start there is in any way critical of the information provided in this thread. He's gotten a lot of terrific information. I just think he is missing the experienced feedback of those who own the projector
Not at all..............................never took any statement as being critical.

Just looking at solution differently....................for me, max screen size/ratio to fit given geometries of room would be my first objective, then I'd look at projector light output/throw distance followed by screen material to fit application. With OP already having purchased screen and projector......all is moot. Guess there's more than one way to skin a cat. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts