Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Larry,

How is everything?

I have a chance to replace my DL450. I can purchase any projector up to $6000.

Plese give your input

clopez

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Hi clopez,

I'm good. I hope you are doing well. I haven't been following new projector developemnts too closely. I have to say I am not too keen on single chip DLP's at this point. Then again, I haven't seen the newer models. If I was buying another projector, I'd look at a D-ILA. By now, there must be some for around 6 grand or less. The older ones don't have the best contrast, but they do have invisible pixels and fairly accurate colors. Another nice thing about D-ILA is that you no longer have to send it to someone to be calibrated. You can do it yourself with dilard. I have zero interest in LCD projectors and as I said, single chip DLP doesn't really excite me anymore. My DL450 kicked ass, but it had a great absolute black level and a smooth as silk picture, via the triple buffering. So where are you going to find that in a new projector? I don't know of any. Most of the hot projectors right now are just business models anyway and not designed for home theater. I think manufacturers will reveal some 16:9 DLP's and I suspect a serious videophile would consider them junk. I don't believe the manufacturers will have them set up at the factory to 6500K and even if they do, the color temp will drift significantly over the halide bulb's life. With D-ILA, the bulb is Xenon and color temp varies to an insignificant degree. You know, I am not really a big fan of D-ILA, but it's the least flawed technology right now. 3 chip DLP is best, but it is very expensive.

My advice is to search for a D-ILA. Get the best one you can afford and try and make sure it has no green fog or dead pixels. Learn how to calibrate your projector with dilard and view DVD's through an HTPC. Connect your HDTV STB to your projector and enjoy the picture.

By the way, I may not have given you the best advice. It could be that there is a better projector out there that I'm not aware of. There are only a handful of people who's opinions I trust. And they haven't told me about any awesome new development. There are many good people who get excited over a projector. Very often, that projector doesn't deserve the accolades. So I remain skeptical regarding popular opinion. But it'll be interesting to read what other people think. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I love my Davis DL450 clone! Don't let the LT150 feeding frenzy get to you.

If you've got to get a new projector check out CRT. I see that nataraj is selling one in the classifieds and he used to have a DL450 or another Davis. You might want to talk to him.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
clopez,

I would follow Larry's advice and get a D-ILA projector (G11 and up)! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Be aware that the cost of a xenon gas short arc lamp replacement is rather high, the display device MUST be calibrated properly for best results in improving contrast dynamic range and blacks reproduction (I guess that DILLARD thingy takes care of that, but it does add to the cost, just like a professional job did for my own D-ILA when I had it calibrated), and be ready to treat the screen end of the wall to avoid stray light "spray" from adjacent walls and ceiling from messing up the image by washing it out.

My three cents worth...

-THTS

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
All I want is a DL450 with higher panel resolution, a little more light output, HDTV compatibility and a little better color.

Hmmm... Come to think of it I wonder if that describes the $1770 projector which should arrive this Tuesday. Yep, that must be it. The $1770 projector.

Hey I can dream can't I? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for you input..

You are right. I have rediscovered the beauty of the Davis 450.

To make a long story short I had made several changes to my HT room and setup 10 months ago. This included moving the projector to the ceiling. With a 2.9 High gain screen it became much dimmer but still gave good pictures. Since then I had upgraded to the Radeon card, and yielded a better picture. The picture was however a little too dark (and I have start thinking of HDTV) and that drove me to want a much brighter projector.

Well over the weekend I moved my projector back to the floor, and what a dramtic increase in the the PQ. With the Hi-gain screen what difference. The Davis was back in its rare form. I watched Gladiator, Bugs Life, Rush Hour and much more. The colors were much more beautiful the blacks were great.

I am seriously looking at the Infocus LP530.

Robert,

Let me know bout the LT150 (I hate the fact that it does not have a zoom lens).

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Clopez,

My 150 is due to arrive tomorrow. My DL450 left about 6 months ago but I think I still have a vivid enough memory of it's performance to be able to make a comparison.

I'm anxious to know what that comparison will reveal.

Bob

------------------

~ The Sultan of Cheap ~

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm with John on this. I started out with a 7-in CRT, moved to an Infocus LP350, and now have a G1000 that cost the same as the LP350. For picture quality, DILA is among the best, and if you can control the noise and heat, it makes one of the best home theater projectors in its price range.

Al

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.