AVS Forum banner

11681 - 11700 of 11738 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Most of the rabbitears and vhf/uhf combos that are sold the vhf antennas are to short in length to get the low vhf 2-6. I had to get the longer length rabbitears for low vhf 2-6 and hi vhf 7-13 on online and use a vhf/uhf antenna combiner. It took a bit of moving it around to get the KHSV in my moms home in Sun City Sumerlin and KHSV still has it's interference glitches at times.

It would be nice to have KHSV on a uhf channel and there are a few open uhf channels (14,15,31,33,35) for KHSV to use other then rf 21. I am sure HLSV will insist that the FCC give KHSV another open channel to use so they don't have to make a costly channel change. One would also wonder why KHSV would make a costly channel and transmitter change with no major network?

Since Scripps is has bought out the Ion Networks and some unknown company bought the divested transmitters that will continue to carry Ion, The sale of Ion and the KHSV request to move to rf 21 happened about the same time. I am thinking that Howard Stirk and investors bought the transmitters and maybe KHSV 21 will be the new home for Ion in Las Vegas and KMCC 32 NV, AZ? The Arden Peak transmitter that is presently being used for Las Vegas would move to Black Mt and will be upgraded to a 1000kws rf 21 transmitter once they get a FCC CP? Once that happen KHSV will notify viewers of the date of the channel change and to rescan. The KMCC Arden Peak transmitter maybe moving now and thats why it has been off the air? KHSV and KMCC would carry all 3 Ion networks along with KHSV preset networks. This would provide a bigger market share and coverage area. The old rf 2 transmitter would be sold off for a loss and would be good for the mid west with no mountains, tall buildings and less big city rf interference.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Read my post on the previous page. KLSV-LD has no say in this matter as they are a LPTV license. Just how LPTV licenses weren't protected in the repack, they also are not protected from changes to the table of allotments that are now being requested by VHF stations across the country after the FCC lifted the freeze on applications at the end of last month. Only Full power and Class A stations are protected.

RF 14 is taken by KNBX-CD, they are a Class A license and protected
The others would likely cause too much adjacent channel interference to signals that are not co-located, and/or create a cascading mess involving displaced translators as far away as California, Arizona and Utah that would need to find new homes, including some that Sinclair also owns.

Also, Howard Stirk/Sinclair have nothing to do with INYO Broadcast Holdings, who will be getting Ion's divested stations. We already know who the investors are behind INYO and their plans since their names were disclosed in the required FCC filings where they would have had to mention if they had any interest in other companies that already hold FCC licenses. As for Ion's subchannel networks, most of them will be going away and replaced with the Katz networks (CourtTV, Mystery, Bounce, Laff, Grit), which INYO also agreed to carry on their Ion affiliated stations for at least 7 years as part of the divestment deal.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Just in time for your weekend viewing pleasure, KPVT-2 and KHMP-18 are both encountering issues. The transmitters for both stations are pumping out blank bits (without programming) on their respective sub-channels. Is there a doctor in the house? This is in addition to the missing signals of KMCC-34 and K30PL-41.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did not know that and you seem to know more then I do KyL. I do no that Katz is a subsidiary of Scripps and Scripps KTNV has Laff, Grit and Court. KVVU has Bounce and Mystery. So what networks will move to KMCC if any after the contracts are up? I would say Bounce, Mystery? That could be Ion, Ion+, Qubo, Bounce, Mystery and Shops?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
They already confirmed in the filings that the shopping channels are leaving the Ion stations after the sale is finalized. The plan is to have the Ion stations (including the ones being divested to INYO) carry all 5 Katz networks when everything is done, so Qubo and Ion Plus are likely done for too unless they're using encoders that can handle Ion in HD and 7 SD subchannels instead of the current setup of 1 HD + 5 SD.

·
Registered
246 Posts
They already confirmed in the filings that the shopping channels are leaving the Ion stations after the sale is finalized. The plan is to have the Ion stations (including the ones being divested to INYO) carry all 5 Katz networks when everything is done, so Qubo and Ion Plus are likely done for too unless they're using encoders that can handle Ion in HD and 7 SD subchannels instead of the current setup of 1 HD + 5 SD.
The sale of ION is scheduled to close on Dec 31, 2020 according to industry newsletters.

·
Registered
139 Posts
From what I've heard, though, the move of the Katz networks onto Ion spectrum may not be immediate in all markets, mainly due to contracts with other broadcasters that still have a few years left. This may not be as relevant in Vegas, though, since three of the current five Katz networks are already on Scripps subchannels (the other two are on KVVU).

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Many suits with fat cigars will hash this all out, and we viewers will just have to wait and see what falls from the towers onto our antennas.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Many suits with fat cigars will hash this all out, and we viewers will just have to wait and see what falls from the towers onto our antennas.
You mean more $hit ? More Crappy PQ ?
No one cares anymore esp if you have Pluto TV.
OTA suits with fat cigars are digging their own grave, even with ATSC 3.0

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Sometime between late morning and early afternoon, KPVT-2 and KHMP-18 resumed providing programming on their transmitters. But all is not perfect. KPVT 2.1 is absent video to go with the audio, while KPVT 2.3 is absent audio to go with the video. We are so blessed to have these unprofessional stations in Las Vegas.

For the MysticSeer, don't count on Pluto TV staying in business long. In the past 20 years, many streamers have launched and failed. Why would Pluto be any different?

Reactions: dishrich

·
Registered
246 Posts
Sometime between late morning and early afternoon, KPVT-2 and KHMP-18 resumed providing programming on their transmitters. But all is not perfect. KPVT 2.1 is absent video to go with the audio, while KPVT 2.3 is absent audio to go with the video. We are so blessed to have these unprofessional stations in Las Vegas.

For the MysticSeer, don't count on Pluto TV staying in business long. In the past 20 years, many streamers have launched and failed. Why would Pluto be any different?

Pluto TV is an American internet television service owned by ViacomCBS.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I cant stand See-BS but Pluto TV is what OTA should be.
Pluto TV does have its advantages. It's free, obviously, plus there's a lot of content looping on there, including some top-shelf kids' properties (there's a channel dedicated to old Nickelodeon shows I've watched from time to time). That said, one thing it sorely lacks compared to OTA is original programming. Granted, it does have channels like Court TV and CBSN that do provide original programming, but they're not exclusive. Furthermore, while few of the diginets actually produce originals, the ones that do have seen some decent success (particularly Court TV and Bounce), to say nothing of the major networks. Pluto does have at least one original program, but if they want to truly compete with the likes of YouTube and Netflix, they'll have to do a lot more actually exclusive programming, and honestly, I'm not sure if they'll get it, considering it has to compete internally with CBS All Access, soon to become Paramount+ (how original).

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
As a former employee of Viacom when they were spun off from CBS c1970, their name means little to me.

·
Registered
139 Posts
As a former employee of Viacom when they were spun off from CBS c1970, their name means little to me.
Wow, you dated back to the days of Terrytoons and the first Honeymooners reruns? Cool.

Anyway, The two companies re-merged last year, and the combined ViacomCBS has vowed to focus heavily on streaming. Pluto TV is a part of that strategy, being sort of a free counterpart to CBS All Access, which will become Paramount+ early next year.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Wednesday started off with both KPVT-2 and KHMP-18 shooting blanks from their transmitters. Later in the day, programming resumed, but with no video on 2.1 and no audio on 2.3. Will Thursday be any better for the troubled digicasters?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Help from a local source may be on the way for the troubled KPVT-2 and KHMP-18.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
A little progress has been made for the KPVT-2 sub-channels. At least the Guide on 2.1 once again has video. Now if 2.3 can get some audio.

11681 - 11700 of 11738 Posts