AVS Forum banner

11781 - 11800 of 11834 Posts

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
So who is watching InfoWars on KGNG? Well, i hear a rumor that about 50 people called KGNG and complained when the owner switch InfoWars to the VNA Asian network on 26.9. Even though InfoWars is still available as an audio feed on 26.11, those 50 or so people were quite angry the video feed was removed.

Is anyone getting a signal from KMCC-34 today?

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Twist, the new soon to be launched diginet from Tegna will land on a Vegas HC2 channel first, then possibly move over to a sub-channel on Entravision 15 or 27. This note from a guy at Tegna.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
We haven't been able to tune into YouToo in several weeks as it has been blocked by colorbars on KHMP 18.7. That station pulled the PSIP and is not transmitting something called Ventana on their 18.7. Other than in Las Vegas, the network only airs in Fresno and Bakersfield.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
KVGA-12 now has their CP licensed by the FCC.

Still missing this morning is a program on KLSV 501.. KLVD 23.1 and 23.2 missed a couple of days this week as they were frozen in time. Colorbars still fill-in for real programming for AMG on KPVT 2.6. All Sports may have the video on KPVT 2.7, but the auisio is some religious network. Nvision, or Invision, on KHMP 18.6 remains clouded behind colorbars. France24 on KHMP 18.1 take my LG an extra long time to display, then suffers from a poor picture. KMCC-34 is still a no show, at least around Summerlin Parkway.

NASCAR roars alive in the next few days in the far northeast part of the Valley. They usually have Fan Vision in operation. But with Covid racing around, I haven't seen where they requested a tv license for the event..

Ham operator KD8S continues sporadic broadcasts on cable 59 with an outdoor antenna. Catch some NASA coverage at times, or at least a set of colorbars and logo bug.

Reactions: N5XZS

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Yesterday Las Vegas viewers of the recently added All Sports diginet on KPVT 2.7 were treated to the audio matching the video. Prior to that, the audio was a religious network, while the video had cars racing around a track. I hear that the network made contact with the engineer of KPVT and told them of the error, and it was quickly fixed. For now, anyway. So why isn't contact info for a station more readily available to the average guy? Why are too many stations operating with unlisted numbers, etc?

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
It has been my understanding that if a broadcast station does not broadcast during 12 months they would lose their license. So how does KVTE-35 cling onto their license? Why hasn't that station joined the throngs of busted fakes who claim that they did indeed offered some broadcasts during the past twelve months? The last broadcasts I witnessed from KVTE-35 were in October 2018, and that was from the GET TV network. It was the only stream being broadcast on 35.

KEEN 17.1 is offereing a twist of their own. It's a now broadcasting Pick Sell Ashun. This is the strangest version of digital breakup I've seen.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Pink slips at broadcast facilities across the country are flying fast and furious. Hit hard is KSNV-3 and probably KVVU-5. Seniority didn't seem to save some of the well known faces. Seniority often means a big paycheck, so that may be the primary reason for the pink slip. Corporate owners seem to think they can axe talent and viewers will not notice or simply readjust. But faces are often a primary reason to watch a particular station or a particular local program.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looks like my local reception of Channel 3 news is getting worse and I wont be watching it anymore, Jerry Brown is a weather legend in Vegas. The replacement this weekend was terrible.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Pink slips at broadcast facilities across the country are flying fast and furious. Hit hard is KSNV-3 and probably KVVU-5. Seniority didn't seem to save some of the well known faces. Seniority often means a big paycheck, so that may be the primary reason for the pink slip. Corporate owners seem to think they can axe talent and viewers will not notice or simply readjust. But faces are often a primary reason to watch a particular station or a particular local program.
I think these staff reductions are due to loss of retransmission fees from the cable companies. So many customers are dropping cable

·
Registered
38 Posts
The cable companies really screwed up when they didn't take advantage of all the free LPTV channels.
In analog it made since to deny the Cable Customers the LPTV channels. They just didn't have enough bandwidth.
But now with digital cable they have huge excess bandwidth. People discovered with an 11 dollar antenna they could get 80 percent as many channels for free. Soon the cellular companies 5G will replace cable internet service. We are watching an arrogant monopoly be destroyed. Because it was run by incompetent people with no foresight.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think these staff reductions are due to loss of retransmission fees from the cable companies. So many customers are dropping cable
[/QUO
NO NO NO. It is purely due to COVID 19. Severe loss of revenue is the reason. Simply put advertising rates and advertising in general is in a free fall. Stations have had to accept less dollars for ad spots. At the stations I work for, we have had times when we have no paid ads for hours on end. We may look like we have paid ads, but they are mostly giveaways to make it look like it isn't as bad as it is.

·
Registered
231 Posts
NO NO NO. It is purely due to COVID 19. Severe loss of revenue is the reason. Simply put advertising rates and advertising in general is in a free fall. Stations have had to accept less dollars for ad spots. At the stations I work for, we have had times when we have no paid ads for hours on end. We may look like we have paid ads, but they are mostly giveaways to make it look like it isn't as bad as it is.
And COVID-19 has also caused the explosion of shopping channels on network affiliated stations. I was told that directly from a station owner. They are trying to figure out ways to cut their losses. Most of the shopping channels give a unique telephone number to each station and that number appears on the screen on the local station. Each order that routes through that phone number is credited to the TV station and they get a commission. One of my local LD's has QVC as one of their channel and the station owner told me he is averaging $800-900 per month in commissions. It's more than enough to pay the station's electric bill.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just wrote to the FCC that TV stations using ATSC3 should be able to offer 2 versions of there network programing. 1 in the present censored g-pg format and another less censored pg,r,nr format. This can be done in two ways by using a locked sub channel or second locked audio channel. A person would need to unlock the sub channel or second audio channel to get the less censored pg,r,nr programing. This could be done with ATSC1 now with a second audio channel if the fcc would allow it. This would help local tv stations compete with the less censored cable and sat programming and the non-censored streamed programing. I hate the bleeps, dubs and lip blurs with the ota programing. It's time to give the ota people a choice of tv formats they can get with ATSC3.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just wrote to the FCC that TV stations using ATSC3 should be able to offer 2 versions of there network programing. 1 in the present censored g-pg format and another less censored pg,r,nr format. This can be done in two ways by using a locked sub channel or second locked audio channel. A person would need to unlock the sub channel or second audio channel to get the less censored pg,r,nr programing. This could be done with ATSC1 now with a second audio channel if the fcc would allow it. This would help local tv stations compete with the less censored cable and sat programming and the non-censored streamed programing. I hate the bleeps, dubs and lip blurs with the ota programing. It's time to give the ota people a choice of tv formats they can get with ATSC3.
That's up to the FCC, and unfortunately, I doubt that the parent groups would be happy if even the tiniest bit of "inappropriate" material sneaks onto OTA. Hell, they barely seem to tolerate all the swearing and violence on internet shows.

Really, if it seems like OTA is overly tame and safe compared to cable and streaming, then you can blame Justin Timberlake for accidentally stripping Janet Jackson. Even since that fateful night, the broadcasters have been unwilling to so much as try to push boundaries, at least compared to all the lurid stuff you see elsewhere.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It has been my understanding that if a broadcast station does not broadcast during 12 months they would lose their license. So how does KVTE-35 cling onto their license? Why hasn't that station joined the throngs of busted fakes who claim that they did indeed offered some broadcasts during the past twelve months? The last broadcasts I witnessed from KVTE-35 were in October 2018, and that was from the GET TV network. It was the only stream being broadcast on 35.

KEEN 17.1 is offering a twist of their own. It's a now broadcasting Pick Sell Ashun. This is the strangest version of digital breakup I've seen.
We have a Grey Media tv station KSVT Fox 14 here in Twin Falls, ID that has had a K13HG DT translator CP for my area for more than 15 years. So I guess if no one tries to claim the the channel it can continue to be reinstated for ever. I do not think the station will ever install it or is waiting for ATSC3 so they can make it worth the cost with channel sharing with the other Twin Falls network stations.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's up to the FCC, and unfortunately, I doubt that the parent groups would be happy if even the tiniest bit of "inappropriate" material sneaks onto OTA. Hell, they barely seem to tolerate all the swearing and violence on internet shows.

Really, if it seems like OTA is overly tame and safe compared to cable and streaming, then you can blame Justin Timberlake for accidentally stripping Janet Jackson. Even since that fateful night, the broadcasters have been unwilling to so much as try to push boundaries, at least compared to all the lurid stuff you see elsewhere.
This would give the stations the option and removes responsibility to the person that unlocked the channel and not station. Language would not be censored and Nudity, x, nc17 would remain censored.

11781 - 11800 of 11834 Posts