AVS Forum banner

11801 - 11820 of 11834 Posts

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Yesterday's short winter storm knocked out several diginets. Several of which have yet to correct themselves Saturday mid-morning., KPVT-2 seemed to be the worst affected by the storm. Their signal seemed to like the rf frequency better than their normal virtual designation channel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This would give the stations the option and removes responsibility to the person that unlocked the channel and not station. Language would not be censored and Nudity, x, nc17 would remain censored.
Was that WAP song on the Grammys we all got via OTA reception last night allowed by the FCC?
If that was put on some other non national channel affiliate would that channel be banned?

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Problems persist with several stations following an early weekend weather event. KEEN-17 has lost two of their three streams, while the PSIPS remain active. Both KPVT-2 and KHMP-18 are complete messes. K36NE is a hit and miss situation. Is it their server just doesn't load material fast enough causing programs to blank out frequently?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Was that WAP song on the Grammys we all got via OTA reception last night allowed by the FCC?
If that was put on some other non national channel affiliate would that channel be banned?
Probably won't help that the performance is being used as a political weapon by both sides of the aisle, like seemingly everything else these days.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I spent some of my Thursday daytime viewing NASA on amatuer KD8S. That's the ham tv station operating at various times on cable channel 59 using an antenna for reception instead of a cable cord. The operator has stated that he has added a SAP channel. In numerous ways, KD8S is more professional than several of the so-called LPTV stations in the Valley (you know which ones I mean).

ACE TV, a retro themed diginet, is in talks with KLSV-50 for local Vegas carriage. ACE TV - American Classic Television

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Perhaps it was our 37 minutes of winter last week, but several sub-channels are still missing. KEEN 17.2 and 17.3 are absent. Of course K30PL is still silent while looking for a different stick. Chedar went missing from 43.6 and has been replaced for now by another feed of a shopping network. By Friday evening NTD 2.3 added itself to the list of missing subs. KVGA 12.1 or 51.1 (whatever) has yet to light up. All of the KMCC-34 subs are waiting for a corporate lawyer to wave the starting flag. And KGHD analog 6 is speeding to the end of their permit to broadcast their Franken FM signal with a possible switch to digital just weeks away.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Is Biltmore even aware that there is no programming on their 50.1? It's been a month of a technical issue graphic. Is Chedar (43.6) history in Vegas? Is NTD (2.3) history in Vegas? And what about Nvision (18.6) that never launched (other than a PSIP and jazzy colorbars)?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Cheddar decided not to renew their deal with HC2. Long story short, last spring stay at home orders hit their studios, so they combined their 3 Business/News/Top Stories channels into one single remotely produced Cheddar feed, and over the summer they decided to make the single feed permanent and drop their paywall, so they no longer saw the need to continue to pay HC2 for OTA carriage on a bunch of LPTV and Class A stations.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I expect a message anytime now that KVVU-5 will begin ATSC 3.0 Next Gen broadcasting. Now that KMCC-34 will begin their service any day with Bounce and Mystery, KVVU no longer needs those diginets. KVVU could easily drop them and use that space to offer 3.0 service for KINC-15, KBLR-39, or KLVX 10.1 The existing sub-channels could then continue in 1.0 service either where they are currently or crowd their way onto other broadcasters signal using the same virtual designation as now.

What I also expect at some time, possibly next year, are KPVM-25 and KGNG-26 placing one or more of their sub-channels on a 3.0 signal here in the Valley of Sin.

·
Registered
30 Posts
ATSC3 is still in its testing faze and It's way too early for any station to switch to ATSC3. To few ATSC3 tvs, boxes and mobile devices on the market and few viewers with them. No push or advertising to get people to buy tvs, boxes and mobile devices with ATSC3 tuners and little 4k programming. Though you might see KHSV go ATSC 3.0 if they get a CP to convert to RF21 at 1000 kws which would make sense and SBC/Hower Stirk would used it to add Fox 5, UNV 14, LVPTV 10 and maybe shuffle the other networks between the two ATSC3 transmitters. The sub diginets will not be on ASTC3 transmitters and will only be on ATSC1 transmitters. This would make sense because most subs run old 480i tv programing and it would be a waist of the new tv technology to have 480i subs. When you start to see adds to buy tvs and boxes with ATSC3 to get the new 4k programming and view ota tv on your mobile device will the big move to ATSC3 start to happen. With the new tvs and boxes having both ATSCs tuners and both ATSC1 & 3 will be in use for years to come. Major Network channel sharing with or without diginet subs will be the norm for ATSC1 480i to 1080i and ATSC3 will be for 720p - 8kp network programing and other advanced uses like mobile tv. The major stations will have to have at least 95% of their viewers with ATSC3 devices to switch all there transmitters to ATSC3. Most Ind LP-DTV will continue to use ASTC1 with or without diginet subs.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I see nothing wrong with an ATSC 3.0 Next Gen signal carrying a 480i sub-channel. Don't degrade these subs because of what they air. Lots of viewers for these off-net programs. And more diginets are gearing up to launch similar type of service.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
KEEN's 17.2 and 17.3 returned to the airwaves Tuesday afternoon.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
HC2 is bringing Twist, the new diginet of the season, to K36NE 43.3 soon. This displaces a sub of infomercials.

Nearly two weeks after their disappearance act, NTD has returned to KPVT 2.3.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Saturday morning finds that Heartland is missing from KHDF 19.5. Could this have anything to do with the impending launch of KVGA 12.1 or 51.1 (whichever) from Luken. KVGA will feature Heartland on their service.

If you ordered a Zapperbox ATSC 3.0 converter, you'll need to wait for delivery in possibly 4th Q 2021. Bummer.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
VNA on KGNG 26.9 returned Sunday, and Heartland was seen Sunday evening oncce again on KHDF 19.5.

Is everyone getting hiccups on K36NE 43? The station losses service evry few minutes for a few minutes. During those outages the signal levels remain good or better on my tv. That suggests to my non engineering brain that it's a server problem and not a transmitter issue. Whatever the cause of these disruprions, programming had better get resolved prior to the launch of Twist on 43.3 soon.

As for InfoWars on KGNG, and not Movies: KGNG owner last month moved InfoWars and received many complaints. He caved and brought the ranters back. Until he parts from the ranters camp, I don't expect Movies will return to KGNG 26.8. Perhaps he could lease time on KLSV 50.x and use that facility for Movies.

Sports has been frozen for several days on KPVT 2.7, while HSN2 suffers the same fate on KEGS 30.4.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Twist has launched in some markets, but not yet on K36NE 43.3.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
A little after 9 am today, (Wednesday the 7th), TWIST was added to K36NE on 43.3. The bad news is that the transmitter shoots more blanks than real ammo (programming). The transmitter provides a solid strong signal at my home, even though it has frequent loss of programming making it through the airwaves.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Yet another network headed to OTA. Scripps Newsy network is moving to over-the-air broadcast on 1 Oct 2021. They will be in 80% of US TV households. So, does that mean that Newsy will land on Scripps KTNV-13, or on Scripps KMCC-34?We'll know in the Fall. This is in addition to the slightly earlier launches of Doozy and Defy on Scripps properties.

11801 - 11820 of 11834 Posts