AVS Forum banner

11841 - 11860 of 11898 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was wondering abou that. Phoenix just got BeIN Sports Extra, but it's the ñ, or the español version.

Which means fútbol, fútbol, and more fútbol.
Gooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
This past Wednesday, Be In Sports Extra had a special titled something like the 200 best goals.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Jewelry TV has been missing since yesterday on KLSV 50.3. This while 50/1 continues with the technical problems graphic for the Country Music net.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
RabbitEars isn't sure that KMCC-34 is really off the air. Is anyone seeing the KMCC sub-channels on 32.x or 34.x?

Jewelry TV returned to it's position on KLSV 50.3 Monday late. But then KPVT-2 dropped from sight on all of their sub-channels. And I especially miss watching NTD.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I hear that the engineer who did the paper work for KTNV channel 26 request wasn't aware that KGNG was operating on that channel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
LPTV stations like KGNG-LD are not protected from changes to the allotment table, only full power and Class A stations are, so they aren't factored into the TV study that begins on page 4 of their engineering statement. If it's approved KGNG-LD Las Vegas, K26NP-D Overton, and KVBT-LP Santa Clara will all have to file displacements for new RF numbers.
That is it. A change must be made to the table of allotments . KTNV's status as a Full service station gives them no more right to another frequency. Secondary versus Primary is only important in the event of interference.
KTNV had lot's of time to file to request new UHF frequency during the transition. To wait until after all was done then demand a UHF frequency in is a flaunt in the face of the FCC rules. To force 3 communities to rescan literally millions and millions of TV's.
I hope those 3 stations fight. If it is that easy to change the table of allocations then the FCC should change the table to add VHF channel 12 to the table of allocations to allow the public to have an addition full service station to serve the public with diversity with Spanish, Vietnamese , Koran , foreign language channels and African American channels something KTNV ignores.

This move is disgusting. Further it was done without even contacting those involved.

Further 13 is the most effective VHF channel so does that mean after all these years of subjecting the public to constant musical chairs, this will go on forever. What about PBS11 , CBS 7, FOX 9 etc.
If the FCC allows this then all the work on the repack and rules and regs are moot and was a total waste of time and a waste of public tax payer funds. Multiple public comment periods were just a total waste of time.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Sorry, but KTNV has every right to request a change in frequency, and primary stations do not have to consider secondary stations when requesting a change. No one is protesting KHSV's request for channel 21, even though it will force KLSV in Las Vegas and KKRP in St. George UT off the air. Selective outrage.

BTW, KVBT in St. George will not be forced off the air. KTNV is owned by Scripps and KVBT is in the process of being bought by Scripps, precisely because KKRP, also owned by Scripps, is being forced off the air by KHSV. Scripps will engineer KVBT to avoid any impermissible interference to KTNV and will accept any interference that KVBT receives from KTNV.

And with the move to NextGen TV (ATSC 3.0), broadcasters are looking to give mobile another try, but VHF is completely unsuitable for mobile applications due to the size of antenna necessary. Brace yourself for more LPTV displacements as KLAS, KVVU and KLVX flee VHF, just as KHSV and KTNV are doing now, and KSNV did a short time ago (which is why KHSV is on low-VHF now).

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
KTNV had lot's of time to file to request new UHF frequency during the transition. To wait until after all was done then demand a UHF frequency in is a flaunt in the face of the FCC rules.
There was a freeze on these types of applictions until November 27, 2020, so they did not have the ability to make this request during the repack. And they are far from the only station and ownership group making requests to move from VHF to UHF, dozens of other VHF stations across the country have also made requests, many of which were already granted, so this isn't breaking any of the FCC's rules. (i.e. in Minneapolis, Tegna's KARE was granted a move from VHF 11 to UHF 31 which will displace the Daystar owned WDMI-LD, while in Memphis, Gray's WMC is petitioning to move from VHF 5 to UHF 30 which will displace HC2's WQEK-LD)

KGNG-LD and KLSV-LD are not being forced to surrender their licenses, if these moves to UHF are approved, they just have to file displacement requests to new RF numbers. The easiest thing would be to file a displacement to RF 13, since it would also allow them to go non-directional. Owners of LPTV licenses are 100% aware of their secondary status and how they could be displaced by Full Power and Class A stations without being consulted, and they knew that the freeze on applications for RF number changes and power increases was going to be lifted after the repack was completed. If they wanted protection they could have filed to convert to Class A status like KHDF-CD and KEEN-CD did back in the early 2000s. KGNG-LD might qualify for Class A status since they have locally produced content.

KGNG-LD's owners could have also made a petition for a RF 26 allotment to be assigned to Vegas like you sugggested (or RF 47 pre-repack), but that wouldn't guarantee them that allotment since they would trigger an auction for the new construction permit, and they would likely be in the same situation they are in now if they were outbid.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I believe the use of UHF band by full service stations was planned by the FCC and by the big broadcast companies from the start. The Idea was to have all the full service stations on the UHF band using ATSC3 down the road and to have most of the LP stations on the VHF bands in the big markets. I would also say the reason why the full service stations did not switch to UHF at the start was to save money by waiting to by used transmitters or to a have buyout or a merger of the smaller guys to get used transmitters to use in the big markets. I am sure It's cheaper for the stations to get a used transmitter and upgrade it. I would say a buyout gave (Scripps) KTNV a RF 26 transmitter that they will upgrade and in a similar way with (Sinclair/H Stirk) KHSV RF 21 transmitter change. I am sure the same thing will happen with the other big stations that are now on VHF once they have a UHF transmitter to replace there VHF transmitter.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
There's plenty to be ashamed of this weekend with the Vegas OTA dial. Frozen sub-channels, missing sub-channels, simulcasts of other sub-channels. Yet I spotted that KHSV-21 is sporting a new hourly ID that looks pretty good. Now if we could just convince a couple of stations to include dynamic PSIP's that feature programming info.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I think it comes down to the engineer who did the paper work didn't do his proper research. Station management and ownership put all the marbles in that engineers hands, who failed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
There is a lot more to the history of KTNV and KGNG. KGNG got the rights and contract to COOL TV while KGNG was in contract with The Cool TV, KTNV decided they would take The Cool TV. KTNV had their lawyers threaten KGNG. KGNG fought KTNV and And KGNG won. KGNG had to be bought out of the contract.
In the analog days , KTNV said that when KTNV aimed their 2 GHZ news gathering MW at KGNG's antenna they could see a weak image of KGNG they (KTNV )contacted the FCC and asked the FCC to shut down KGNG because they were a primary and KGNG was a secondary. KGNG successfully argued that the 2 GHZ MW was an auxiliary and therefore a lower priority. Plus KTNV was seeing the 3rd harmonic of KGNG and was well within legal limits.
In 1994 a man named Roman who worked for KTNV threatened the then Chief Engineer of KZIR now KINC now GM of KGNG. With complainants to the FCC about the existence of the new TV 15. quote "KTNV would watch everything and would find something to complain about."

The list goes on........

Past bad acts don't usually get considered in court but can be used to show a pattern.

KGNG is meeting with attorneys next week

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
KMCC's main RF 32 signal in Dolan Springs AZ is lower adjacent, so RF 33 can't be used by a full power station based in Vegas. And moving KMCC's main 1000 kW signal to Arden Peak so they could be co-located isn't an option because the FCC would reject Laughlin losing their only full power station. (The entire town of Laughlin is a deadspot for most of the Vegas/Arden Peak based signals)

Also, the RF 33 allotment is not currently assigned or "protected" in Vegas. It was an allocation during the analog era for KVCW, but after the 2009 DTV transition the RF 33 allocation for Vegas was changed to RF 29. Just how the RF 39 allotment for KBLR changed to RF 40 post-transition, and then RF 20 during the repack.

11841 - 11860 of 11898 Posts