AVS Forum banner

11861 - 11880 of 11898 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
It was me who alerted Larry Hunt at KGNG that KTNV had added a blank PISP for The Cool. I sent him a jpg, and he contacted his attorney. The Cool was a poorly run and understaffed diginet from a garage (I'm told). KTNV kept them for a short time and dumped the music network for bigger fish.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Back when The Cool TV was a thing, KTNV wasn't owned by Scripps, they were still owned by Journal. That decision to affiliate wasn't made on the local level, Cool TV's owners signed a groupwide affiliation deal with KTNV's former parent company, but because Cool was so poorly run they signed conflicting affiliation agreements. Journal also ended up suing Cool TV's owners.

Now-a-days, most diginets only sign non-exclusive or really short term deals with LPTV stations because LPTV stations are not eligible for must carry status and it's strictly optional for cable providers to offer them carriage, so they want the chance to jump to a full power station that can get them cable carriage and expand their OTA reach whenever possible.

You'll likely be seeing some more affiliation switches in the near future after Meredith's deal with Katz expires in June 2022 and they (or their future parent company Gray) strike new groupwide deals to replace Bounce and Mystery on KVVU and other Meredith stations across the country. If Gray is in control by then, odds are Circle will end up there.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Back when The Cool TV was a thing, KTNV wasn't owned by Scripps, they were still owned by Journal. That decision to affiliate wasn't made on the local level, Cool TV's owners signed a groupwide affiliation deal with KTNV's former parent company, but because Cool was so poorly run they signed conflicting affiliation agreements. Journal also ended up suing Cool TV's owners.

Now-a-days, most diginets only sign non-exclusive or really short term deals with LPTV stations because LPTV stations are not eligible for must carry status and it's strictly optional for cable providers to offer them carriage, so they want the chance to jump to a full power station that can get them cable carriage and expand their OTA reach whenever possible.

You'll likely be seeing some more affiliation switches in the near future after Meredith's deal with Katz expires in June 2022 and they (or their future parent company Gray) strike new groupwide deals to replace Bounce and Mystery on KVVU and other Meredith stations across the country. If Gray is in control by then, odds are Circle will end up there.
Yeah, I've heard that The Cool TV is basically a lesson on how not to run a diginet. It ran in my market on WWLP thanks to LIN's deal. I believe they were one of the last groups to drop the network (if not the last), and when it left during the summer of 2013, it basically left nothing but a black screen on that subchannel until early 2015, when, after LIN was bought out by Media General, WWLP got the local rights to The CW, which had been cable-only in the market up to that point.

I remember when it ran on that channel, LIN had the feed on cable as well. I used to watch it from time to time, since they could have some pretty good songs and videos. Too bad it was all being run on a sturdy foundation of Jenga blocks...

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
The COOL aired on KGNG 47.3 from 13 Feb 2009 - 4 Jul 2010. Then it moved to KTNV 13.2 on 4 Jul 2010 and remained there until 29 Sep 2011. Next the Cool moved to KMCC 34.2 on 31 Aug 2021 where it stayed until 2 Oct 2013. Next it moved to KMCC 34.3 on 9 Oct 2013 and remained there until 8 Dec 2015. After the Cool left KGNG, that broadcaster launchd a very similar service called So Cool. First it was for one day on 5 Mar 2012 on KGNG 47.9, then moved to KEEN 17.8 from 5 Mar 2012 until 14 Feb 2015.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Spinning the OTA dial this Wednesday morning finds that KHSV 21.3 is now CIRCLE. QVC has moved from 21.3 to 21.6.

·
Super Moderator
18,459 Posts
Political and potentially libelous content removed. Infractions issued. If anyone has any questions, PM me. Do NOT post those here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ATSC 3.0 update. The 3.1 channel fixed the picture quality issue with the flickering pixels at the bottom and it does trigger the HDR10 indicator on one of my TVs.

3.1 is 1080p 5 megabit
8.1 is 1080p 5.5 megabit
13.1 is 720p 5.5 megabit
33.1 is 720p 2 megabit.

The bitrate readings are average since all the channels are variable bitrate. You can't compare ATSC 3.0 bitrate to the ATSC 1.0 bitrate since the video codecs are different. 8.1 still looks the best to my eyes out of the 4.

The HDHomerun app seems to be going backwards in sound compatibility. Trying to passthrough audio via Windows 10 to my receiver no longer works so I'm unable to determine if all the channels are 5.1 native or not. The iOS app is broken after Apple's 14.5 iOS update.

·
Registered
29 Posts
ATSC 3.0 update. The 3.1 channel fixed the picture quality issue with the flickering pixels at the bottom and it does trigger the HDR10 indicator on one of my TVs.

3.1 is 1080p 5 megabit
8.1 is 1080p 5.5 megabit
13.1 is 720p 5.5 megabit
33.1 is 720p 2 megabit.

The bitrate readings are average since all the channels are variable bitrate. You can't compare ATSC 3.0 bitrate to the ATSC 1.0 bitrate since the video codecs are different. 8.1 still looks the best to my eyes out of the 4.

The HDHomerun app seems to be going backwards in sound compatibility. Trying to passthrough audio via Windows 10 to my receiver no longer works so I'm unable to determine if all the channels are 5.1 native or not. The iOS app is broken after Apple's 14.5 iOS update.
You are using the HDHomerun for ATSC3.0? Does it work with the GoogleTv 4k Streamer or the AirTv Mini 4K stick?

·
Registered
10 Posts
You are using the HDHomerun for ATSC3.0? Does it work with the GoogleTv 4k Streamer or the AirTv Mini 4K stick?
For the Chromecast with GoogleTV, in the Silicon Dust forums "In the case of my chromecast (w/ google tv), I had to hook it up to my soundbar rather than to the TV and I haven't tried not with the sound bar on the TV I had trouble with since November (prior to November I didn't have a soundbar in that room)... my other chromecasts(w/ google tv) are on things that would support ac4 anyway and never had issue."

If the AirTV Mini 4K supports AC4 audio codec, then the HDHomerun Android TV app will work.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Kudos to those behind 702 Television on KHMP 18.8. This past weekend saw a variety of semi-fresh programming. Now if the sub-channel could just get the brief blips and freezeups cured.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
It would seem that an engineer for HC2 is busy at work this evening (Monday) on KVPX-28, KEGS-30, and KNBX-31. Several new sub-channels have been added but they seem, at this point, to be only simulcasts of existing sub-channels. Things may evolve by Tuesday mid-day. Here's what I've noticed this evening.

KVPX 28.1 Infomercials
KVPX 28.2 Infomercials
KVPX 28.3 Infomercials New tonight
KVPX 28.4 Infomercials New tonight

KEGS 30.1 Infomercials
KEGS 30.2 Infomercials
KEGS 30.3 SBN
KEGS 30.4 HSN2
KEGS 30.5 Infomercials New tonight
KEGS 30.6 Infomercials New tonight

KNBX 31.1 SBN
KNBX 31.2 Reneuvo
KNBX 31.3 Infomercials New tonight
KNBX 31.4 Infomercials
KNBX 31.5 OnTV4U Infomercials

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Tuesday morning finds these sub-channels and nets on HC2 Las Vegas properties:
KHDF 19.1 Azteca
KHDF 19.2 ESNE
KHDF 19.3 Be In Sports
KHDF 19.4 Reneuvo
KHDF 19.5 Heartland

KVPX 28.1 Infomercial
KVPX 28.2 Timeless TV
KVPX 28.3 MMN
KVPX 28.4 Infomercial

KEGS 30.1 Infomercial
KEGS 30.2 Timeless TV
KEGS 30.3 SBN
KEGS 30.4 HSN2
KEGS 30.5 MMN
KEGS 30.6 Infomercial

KNBX 31.1 Infomercial
KNBX 31.2 Reneuvo
KNBX 31.3 Timeless TV
KNBX 31.4 MMN
KNBX 31.5 Infomercial

K36NE 43.1 3ABN
K36NE 43.2 Infomercial
K36NE 43.3 Twist
K36NE 43.4 Liquidation Channel
K36NE 43.5 Timeless TV
K36NE 43.6 Be In Sports
K36NE 43.7 Be In Sports Hispanic

I noticed that 31.4 has dropped the PSIP name of "HOT". I also noticed that the ID's on KVPX 28 indicate something like 'Test DT channel 99' All of the Timeless TV sub-channels air the same exact programming at the same time.

Biltmore's 50.1 is now in the third month of airing a technical difficulty graphic. KEEN 17.3 is in the third or fourth day frozen solid. KPVT-2 remains off air and entering the third week as such. Still no signal noticed from KVGA rf 12 or virtual 51 or 6. KMCC-34 remains a no-show. Analog KGHD has not yet filed for their conversion to digital flash cut prior to the end of July's cut-off date. And KMOH Kingman has not shown its' face to Vegas viewers as yet.

·
Registered
512 Posts
KMOH won't be seen in Vegas. KHDF is co-channel and has primary rights, being a Class A station. Closest place that you have a chance to see KMOH is south of Boulder along NV 165, just before you get to Nelson.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Weigel could make an attractive offer to KHDF-19 for their assignment. Then KMOH could enter the Valley, while KHDF could file for a channels such as rf 4.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Whatever is the final concept of service that HC2 is working on in Vegas, it's not yet a finalized product. Their channels 19, 28, 30, 31, and 43 are in turmoil. Blank screens, heavy pixelation, blips, and freezeps abound. Legal ID's are still missing. In all the shakeup on the HC2 stations, Almavision seems to have lost their berth, as well as two of the SBN simulcasts.

All this is in addition to K30PL (virtual 41) still missing from our airwaves, along with KPVT-2 in a similar fate. And KLSV 50.1 is still showing a tech difficulty graphic after 2 months. KHMP-18 has their own problems with internet delivered sub-channels not being delivered to the transmitter.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
RabbitEars indicates that KMOH can be seen on Mt Potosi and also north of Nellis AFB.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
So what's missing from our dial this evening? How about 32 sub-channels. Those lost subs are 7 from KPVT-2, 1 from KEEN 17, 1 from KHMP-18, 4 from KVPX-28, 6 from KEGS-30, 5 from KNBX-31, 5 from KMCC-34, 2 from K30PL-41, and 1 from KLSV-50.

Reactions: LMckin

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Mid Sunday afternoon all of the KPVT-2 subs have returned with the exception of Sports on 2.7.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
KPVT-2 was sitting in the black Monday morning on all subs.

Contact KGNG-26 and demand that King Kong add Dynamic PSIP to their broadcasts. This would add program listings to the on-screen remote button. KGNG does not agree that viewers use that feature and have refused to add it to their broadcasts. It costs just under a thousand a year, I hear.

KGNG 26.11 now has a PSIP labeled as "70's", and was silent when monitored this morning. Gone is the feed from Info Wars.

·
Registered
29 Posts
KPVT-2 was sitting in the black Monday morning on all subs.

Contact KGNG-26 and demand that King Kong add Dynamic PSIP to their broadcasts. This would add program listings to the on-screen remote button. KGNG does not agree that viewers use that feature and have refused to add it to their broadcasts. It costs just under a thousand a year, I hear.

KGNG 26.11 now has a PSIP labeled as "70's", and was silent when monitored this morning. Gone is the feed from Info Wars.
70's would be great, great Decade for TV. Really enjoyed Grio yesterday, they had Coffey, BM-WM, Foxy Brown and others. Wish the Pq was better and uncensored. Coffey was missing "massive" ;) blocks of material. If they can pull that off they could give Bounce a run for the money.

11861 - 11880 of 11898 Posts