AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone out there ever recorded Laser disc to a DVD Recorder.

If so How did you do it (hook up) and what was the picture quality.

Playback will be on a 40" widescreen by Toshiba.

Any info will help as I plan to do a lot of conversions.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have done many since purchasing the E80 at the beginning of the month. I just used the vid/audio jacks on the front of the unit and copying couldn't be easier. My initial copy of an LD was directly to the DVD-R and the results were exactly the same as subsequent recordings to the HDD first - with the exception of eliminating parts of the recording (I wasn't really familar with Shorten Segment then). Since then all copies have been recorded to the HDD in FR mode by setting the length to a minute or two beyond the listed length of the title. After using Shorten Segment to remove the "Laser Manufacture" beginning, the A/B auto flip, and the minute or so extra at the end. All have then been burned to DVD in High Speed Mode (so far all have been less than 2 hour programs). I have done "TV input" switching/comparisons and any differences have been negligible. I am watching them on a 36" XBR and being spoiled by the clarity of DVD their visual quality is just OK - mainly soft and a bit washed out looking, quality varies. I wanted to transfer titles that are not available on DVD (i.e., Day of the Triffids - Barbra TV Specials, etc.) before they succumb to Laser Rot like several of my Lasers. I am very, very pleased with this unit and its results - I thought I just loved my Ultimate TV - but this has been added to my electronics "can't live without" list.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
One note: You'll get better results using the composite connection from your LD player that you will with S-video, which goes against what you might expect. Using composite, you get the benefit of both the superior Y-C filter and the TBC in the E50. With S-video you get neither. The difference can be pretty noticable with most LD players.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yes, for Laser & VHS copying, composite is used (which was another very valuable tip I learned here after purchase).

In fact, I think all electronic products should have a reference in their instruction manuals that states "For further, more helpful instructions on how to operate your new purchase, please go to www.avsforum.com !" :)

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Quote:
Yes, for Laser & VHS copying, composite is used (which was another very valuable tip I learned here after purchase).
Same for SVHS?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have not used the "S-Video" jacks from my S-VHS recorder - only used the Composite because I recorded very few tapes in S-VHS mode anyway.

I use S-Video cables only from the extra DVD player into the E80 (as was also suggested in this forum).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.