AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, kids... I see that there's other conversations about good 'ol LD players in here too, so I'll give this a shot, and bless Rachael et. al. for their support.

Here up north in cold Canada, I've got a Pioneer DVL-700 that's lasted me quite a while - was my happy DVD -and- LD player for the last several years. I decided that this was going to be a player to last, so I bought an RP-82 to be my DVD player, freeing up the 700 for LD fun.

Damn. If it wasn't then that the player started to exhibit funky problems. 5% of the time, no problems, but the rest of the time it plays with very jerky movement, and the lights for the disc to flip don't light up. It's somewhat pooched, methinks.

It's been in at Pioneer's headquarters for a while now (the sr. tech apparently just had a kid... well, his wife did... mazel tov if he reads this...:) - finally figured out from them (pending a full estimate) that this might cost me $1000CDN to fix.

For a secondary player, with my secondary discs, after having just bought a 57", this ain't a good thing.

I'm not in the market for a $3K player that's the be all and end all (see RP-82 - good, solid player, good quality, not silly in terms of cost or feature that I just can't frankly get into given my situation).

So, friends, I'm looking, probably, for a player less than the repair costs of my 700 that does LD only (keep it simple, well, LD and CD, of course) and has an AC3 out.

Thoughts? The CLD-D704 looks like a nice player, but still a bit pricy for what it's going to be used for (once in a while playback of library discs - most stuff is being replaced with DVD, save those lovely criterions and SW discs that just ain't gonna be issued on the smaller disc format.)

Am I simply destined to blow $700 CDN at least on a new/used player, that, for all I know, will pooch upon shipping over the border?

Help. :)

·
Registered
27,954 Posts
The DVL-700 isn't worth spending that much to fix. Buying a CLD-D704 (approx $350 USD) is a much wiser investment. If that is still out of your range, the D703 (same thing without a Dolby Digital output) is usually a little cheaper.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
The DVL units are all more problem prone than the LD only players. Also the DVL-700 has an average picture interms of sharpness. I do not recommend DVL players.

I agree with Josh. The best performer for the dollar is the CLD-D704, there are some on eBay right now and they have been going cheaper lately. Could probably get one for $300 USD.

I would get the DVL-700 back and list it AS-IS on eBay listing the problems and if it still plays DVD's that will help. Someone will buy it. Use that money to help purchase the 704.

Kurtis

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
very good advice, thanks. Part of me is really wary about buying another box off ebay - I mean, it could show up and I'd need to fix it right away. Schlepping all the way over the border will cost me, even for a $300US box, about $600 CDN. So, the question is, for another $150CDN or so I can have a player that I -know- will work.

Meh. Tough choices. I just wish that somebody had a 704 here in Canada... sigh.

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey hey... looks like I -might- be able to get my hands on a (local) cld-504 for much less than the repair cost. I run a risk, but it's better than ebay for this poor Canadian :)

I'm wondering (aloud) - it's hard to find details online (save this forum) about the 504. Is it just me or does it HAVE the AC-3 output, but lacks a PCM coax or toslink out? In other words, it only had "digital out" for AC-3, not for, say, DTS? This isn't a big deal at all, I've only got one DTS LD, but I'm just curious.

Moving from the back panel of the '700 will be quite a change...:)

·
Registered
27,954 Posts
I believe that's correct about the 504, only an AC-3 output, no optical or coaxial.

The D504 is a pretty middle-of-the-line player. Picture quality will be rather soft and noisy.

·
Registered
258 Posts
sharkshark,

The info I found on-line about the CLD-504 did indicate that it has a AC-3 output (mention by an owner of the unit) but did not indicate whether it had a PCM (coax or TOSLINK) digital output. The info at http://www.thadlabs.com/LD_info/other_specs.txt shows that CLD-505 has an AC-3 output but had no PCM digital output. I suspect that the CLD-504 does not have a PCM digital output.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
The 504 will be as good as he 406. Make sure you are getting the remote as the DVL remote will not operate a LD only player.

The 504 picture will be as good as your 700 as the DVL-700 was based on the CLD-D604. The 504 is a 604 without digital outputs and digital memory.

I can give you the name of another Canadian that commonly buys and sells LD players but I'm not sure what he has right now. If you can post Email address here send me your and I'll send you his name. I think he just sold the 704 he had.

I have a CLD-D702 that I'm adding AC-3 RF to but the 504 locally would probably be cheaper.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sweet - I've pm'd my email address.

any other Cannukians with a 704 (my prefered player, based on all of your comments - hey, I -do- read all the threads I could before posting this!) or something similar in good working order for not a fortune, let me know.

you rok. thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.