·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At Silicon Light Machines site they give the advantages

1: pure laser light = excellent color

2: no need for noisey fan

3: razor sharp imaging against normal globe technology

4: simplified manufacturing for the mass market -hopefully means the units wont have to be expensive for the average joe bloke

5: the images from test units they had over a year ago were apparently mind boggling

6: No convergance problems

7: hopefully very long life of lasers

I hope this is the future and because Sony has now put Millions into the developement of Silicon Light Machines technology I hope this happens soon.:eek:

It must be over a year since Sony has joined up with SLV and I would be sure they have been marching along very fast to manufacturing these units.Sony has sole rights to their technology and hopefully they will be everthing we have been waiting for.

If anyone has heard how things are progressing I would love to hear and I recomend checking out their site.

I hope somenoe will put a link to the site as I havent figured how to yet

Regards

Dennis

·
Registered
855 Posts
From everything I've read, inexpensive lasers of sufficient power for this application don't exist. Maybe in 10 years.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
There are manufacturers experimenting with lasers as we speak. The rumors have stated that images are indeed mind boggling. As far as cost is concerned, like everything, laser cost won't come down till mass marketing/manufacturing exists.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
This topic comes up form time to time. If you search the forum archies there will be a few threads discussing this technology.

Sony licensed this technology last year for use in projectors. There are some image aberration issues that the Silicon Light Machine white papers go into. Namely, the use of coherent light sources results in something called specular illumination. Basically, it makes the illuminated object look kind of grainy. Anyone who has played around with a laser should know what this looks like.

Other issues involve the extremely high energy densities that need to be dealt with at the diffraction grating. To make a bright image requires much higher energy densities with a SLM device than with a DMD or TFT panel.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
my PERSONAL thought is that within 5 years projection as we know it will change allot. We can't guess what we will be looking at. When you look at DLP for example, we have a mechanical system giving us a digital picture.

Ten years ago i would have never guessed that CRT's would have ever been thought to be an out of date technology (as far as current trends) But that is the reality.

I think that if you want to see the future of large, high resolution images... LED walls are the future.

The resolution keeps dropping, the price will as well as we are dealing with just making LEDS... they have a half life of over 10,000 hours. the resolution for a 6' wide image will be about 1280 pixels across within a few years time. There are all the advantages and very few of the disadvantages.

Did i mention that they do blacks?

THESE ARE PURELY MY OWN THOUGHTS BASED ON OBSERVATIONS OF THE INDUSTRY. THEY TAKE INTO ACOUNT NO INFORMATION GAINED THROUGH PROPRIETARY KNOWLEDGE OF ANYTHING. THEY HAVE NO RELEVANCE ON MY PROFESSIONAL LIFE.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for your replies I think the next 2 years are going to be very interesting

Regards Dennis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.