AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting this here because I think front projectors will also be involved here. A friend (co-worker) who is not into AV much at all was speaking to his friend who works at TW**T*R (dont want to step on any toes) about plasma TV's. He was advised to NOT buy a plasma because a superior product was coming out that he would regret not getting. He said it involved a spinning "prism", which reminded me that this was discussed as one of the laser "scanning" methods. He said the unit would be narrow, but not as narrow a plasma (perhaps 6 to 8" deep). This is all I was told, and I don't believe that anyone was spreading innuendo, since my friend and the sales person didn't really know anything about this being a possible laser. He knew that it was new technology, and that it definitely was a prism versus mirrors (DLP). If this "wait dont buy now" idea has trickled down to the salesperson level, I would imagine these units are not far from the showroom, and they will be setting new price/performance standards. I seem to remember posts about dealers selling off plasmas to make room for something new and perhaps superior.

We shall see....:)

· Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do the prisms do then if not to direct a concentrated light source across the chip? Could this be sort of a hybrid then?

· Registered
967 Posts
I still am convinced that something new is about to hit the market.

posted July 08, 2003:

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gouger
Palladin

I made no mention of time frame in my few posts in this thread associated with Laser.

I did mention Sept in another thread regarding other products completely unrelated.

Again my only intention in this thread was to give support to my knowledge that Laser projectors are a reality. When this thread started everyone thought it was a joke. Its not.

· Registered
177 Posts
C'mon, cool your heads. When was the last time in consumer market that new significant technology was first shown in consumer products, and not demoed a couple of years beforehand at trade shows? Whatever is coming (and I do believe that something is coming, eventually) is not ready for public viewing, not even at the level of technology demonstration. That means that real products are a year or two away, at least.

When was the last time any new, great technology was priced well below current market level? If it is great, the price is above what is currently available. If it is not that great, the price is about the same.

This is true for any technology. For laser pj's specifically: The technology is at rumor level. It will be two to three years before products with competitive price are actually available. First trade show appearance will be as a technology demo, then as a prototype, then an actual product - and then a few months before it really ships. And when it does, it is not that much, if at all, cheaper than comparable pj's with other technologies.

· Registered
4,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JuKu
When was the last time any new, great technology was priced well below current market level? If it is great, the price is above what is currently available. If it is not that great, the price is about the same.
In general I agree, but the last thing I think was new and great that was released below current market level was the Bravo D1 DVI DVD player at $199. That wasn't that long ago, either. Quite a steal, IMO. If they were $500 or $1000 there are still some of us here who would have bought them, assuming we knew how much they improved certain projectors.

For a projector like the HT1000, I believe the jump in DVD image quality from component players to the D1 was bigger than the jump I saw from my Sharp 10k to the 12k shown at CEDIA. And that upgrade would cost a lot more than $200.

Maybe the DVI DVD players wouldn't count as a new technology, but the improvement might be as big as an LCOS with lamp vs an LCOS with laser.

--Darin

· Premium Member
25,573 Posts
I think Juku is right. If someone really had something read to go, or even not so ready, wouldn't they demo it ASAP to keep buyers from buying competing products? IOW, like what Sony did with SXRD.

One little thing, though - what if it's Epson? They're one of the very few companies that don't exaggerate their spec's, so maybe it's not their style to blow their horn until they can sell you one just like it.

· Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont think salespeople would be talking friends out of plasma purchases if something MUCH better was not coming down the pike pretty soon.

Just my 0.02 dollars...

· Registered
6,227 Posts
Want wild speculation ??? Off the wall possibility....

From http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&highlight=jvc

Quote:
The “technology demonstation†consisted of an unannounced projector in a SX-21 chassis/box but with JVC’s new 1920x1080 chip set, projecting 1080P (I think) footage from a hard drive, onto a 130†diag. Stewart Studio Tech 130 screen. Here is my opinion:

STUNNING! Incredible blacks, unlike anything I have ever seen from an LCOS type projector, astonishing resolution. Some of the footage consisted of CGI generated outer space star fields with planets and galaxies from the National Science Organization (I think)…which was all black backgrounds. I was completely impressed. This was the picture experience I was hoping to see in the Sony SXRD.
Quote:
Its final form may be a two-piece unit (ala DWIN) with a processor distribution box connected by a single digital cable to the “small†projector box.
Has anyone confirmed how small ???

Anyone know how much better those blacks were ???

A 3 Chip projector very rarely goes into a 'small' box... Do we know for sure that this unit was driven by conventional bulbs ???

Just an 'out there' possibility...

· Registered
4,070 Posts
Before the show, back in the big laser thread, didn't someone put up a link to a laser projector that was set up in a D-ILA case? I remember this picture with the three laser guns sticking out of the back of the case.

???

· Registered
6,227 Posts
LCOS / DILA and LCD are all inherantly 3 chip designs.

DLP is the only tech to utilize a color wheel / 1 chip solution.

Yes there was a DILA lazer pic but I have no idea if it has any bearing on this.... Can people under NDA even say they are under NDA ???

When I read small box I assumed much smaller than SX21... I could well be barking up a totally wrong tree...

· Registered
275 Posts
Even if a new technology arises, I will stick with the latest known and proven that will become much more (wishful thinking) affordable. I am a strong believer in second generation products of a new technology, beyond this and that firmware update.

I've just turned from an early adopter to something a bit more conservative - I've got kids ;-)

· Registered
4,729 Posts
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The “technology demonstation†consisted of an unannounced projector in a SX-21 chassis/box but with JVC’s new 1920x1080 chip set, projecting 1080P (I think) footage from a hard drive, onto a 130†diag. Stewart Studio Tech 130 screen. Here is my opinion:

STUNNING! Incredible blacks, unlike anything I have ever seen from an LCOS type projector, astonishing resolution. Some of the footage consisted of CGI generated outer space star fields with planets and galaxies from the National Science Organization (I think)…which was all black backgrounds. I was completely impressed. This was the picture experience I was hoping to see in the Sony SXRD.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

Its final form may be a two-piece unit (ala DWIN) with a processor distribution box connected by a single digital cable to the “small†projector box.

Phunny you mentioned this, Phat,

I was also wondering the same thing when I read this post initially. I mean it seems to be intentionally vague with terms like "technology demonstration", and NO refernce to this unit only being a 1080 LCOS projector. To the contrary, the phrase "unlike anything I have ever seen from an LCOS type projector" seems to suggest something more than just the JVC spin on the Qualia SXRD. It had me thinking laser too, particularly as I thought I had seen some previous posts concerning Kodak and JVC.
Quote:
Yes there was a DILA lazer pic but I have no idea if it has any bearing on this.... Can people under NDA even say they are under NDA ???
Actually, someone did that very thing in the same thread:
Quote:
JVC made me sign a NDA and told me not to comment on anything i saw, but i am with you the new system looked awesome.
Could this be the main reason JVC was showing practically nothing on the main floor and had set up elsewhere?

Palladin

No matter where you go, there you are

· Premium Member
7,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JuKu
When was the last time in consumer market that new significant technology was first shown in consumer products, and not demoed a couple of years beforehand at trade shows? Whatever is coming (and I do believe that something is coming, eventually) is not ready for public viewing, not even at the level of technology demonstration. That means that real products are a year or two away, at least.
JuKu,

2 things:

1) a bunch of folks around here reported being given a demo of something(s) at cedia which required them to sign an NDA

2) maybe it's a company that wants to be a supplier ala TI and not a mfr of PJs per se...and at this point they're keeping things under wraps looking for production partners

The 2nd would still mean a wait of some time, but the 1st may not.

TM

· Registered
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Holloway
I too am convinced that somehting new is about to hit the market

It wiil hit in Q4 and in Q1 and in Q3 and Q4.......

It's been happening for a while

:)

Rob
I think Rob knows exactly what's going on and is secretly trying to tell us to wait till Q2 since he obviously left that out of his message. It's the super secret backwards leave it out message encryption. ;)

· Registered
1,458 Posts
And what about Allan's earlier advice? He is a dealer and obviously knows something. If the information he has was not specifically about a product that will be available for release (maybe laser, maybe not, that I do not know), why would he have advocated the wait vs. buy now approach? I am sure he would not have mentioned waiting if the NDA he signed was for a new technology that is years away from consumer production.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.