AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Looks interesting! Fairly inexpensive compared to fiberoptic ceilings and much simpler installation. I know the results would be very different, but I would like to hear responses from anyone willing to try it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
That looks really neat.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Cool idea - wonder what that would look like on my flat black ceilings? Someone with more money than me should give it a try and let us know what they think!

·
Registered
222 Posts
The stars didn't look random enough to be realistic to me. Check out the video and you'll see what I mean. Notice the center star and the evenly spaced stars circling it. Otherwise with creative placement of a mirror or two, I imagine you could fill the entire ceiling.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has anyone tried it yet? They did mentioned about using it in home theather fro the drive in movie experience.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I noticed this unit in an email that SmartHome sent to me advertising their products.

I am very interested in hearing about the results when used in a home theater. Mine is not finished yet and won't be finished for a while or I would step up and give it a try.

Someone help us out ...

-T.Wells

·
Registered
178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbie /forum/post/0

The stars didn't look random enough to be realistic to me. Check out the video and you'll see what I mean. Notice the center star and the evenly spaced stars circling it. Otherwise with creative placement of a mirror or two, I imagine you could fill the entire ceiling.

I noticed that too with the video, but I think that is just due to poor lighting when the video was made. If you look at the high-res picture on the page, much more detail is shown and it does look much more random and realistic.

·
Registered
762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton /forum/post/0

Ordered my Laser Stars! Thanks!

Please let us know what you think of the device.

-T.Wells

·
Registered
571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Wells /forum/post/0

Please let us know what you think of the device.

-T.Wells

Ditto.

I'm really interested as well.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I'm interested in some feedback as well.

Ken

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I just ordered it too. I hope it is nice...

·
Registered
883 Posts
Check out the Homestar Pro on ebay. It features real constellations,the moon etc. The laser stars product seems o.k. but the six identically spaced stars around the central bright star look unrealistic to this astronomy fan.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche951 /forum/post/0

Check out the Homestar Pro on ebay. It features real constellations,the moon etc. The laser stars product seems o.k. but the six identically spaced stars around the central bright star look unrealistic to this astronomy fan.

The problem with the Homestar Pro is that it uses LED which will send unfocused light if not at the exact distance it needs to be at.

This laser projector uses green lasers which will keep the light focused in a lot smaller dots from a variety of distances. The cloud structure is cool but can be turned off at the unit. I hope this one is neat, but I can see this taking off into a more complete system down the road. The other cool thing about this is that the stars move as well as the cloud. The homestar pro will only slowly revolve.

Also the video shows 6 identically placed stars, but if you look at the high res picture, that is really not the case. When is the last time you have seen a consumer grade camera do a good job in low to no light situations?

·
Registered
762 Posts
For those that ordered laser stars, in addition to letting us know how well it works in the HT environment, I would also like to see how and where you placed the unit. I am specifically curious to see if it can be placed in the riser, stage or possibly a column.

Thanks,

T.Wells

1 - 20 of 83 Posts