AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No not a new projection technology heheh :)

I just had my eyes done with lasik yesterday! Very happy with the results - at the check up this morning I was 20-15 in both eyes (better than 20-20).

Cost an arm and a leg, but I had the custom lasik done with the premier surgeon in the US, who did Tiger Woods among others (if its worth doing its worth doing right!!! and these are my eyes and the only ones I have!)

So today is happy-happy day --- though it probably means recalibrating the projector so I don't see all the errors I couldn't notice before!

:)

- Rick

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just watched a couple of movies... sans-glasses for the first time. Odd thing, I can see more detail in the dark areas - something I am always tweeking to improve. Odd kind of upgrade but hey whatever works...!

The only thing I can think of is that before the light would bounce off my eye, hit the back of my glasses and return back to the eye... maybe - not thought about it too much.

Anyway! Today is a happy day!

- Rick

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Well, congratulations. I'm nearsighted too, but I wouldn't do it for the

world.

It reminds me of friend who has a BD600, and he spent year after year

and he always said to me that it wasn't sharp enough. Then he

got glasses:)

He spent SO much time.

Nich

·
Registered
5 Posts
Krynos,

Glad to hear your LASIK worked out well. I am going to have LASIK in about 2 weeks and have been putting off the purchase of a DLP projector until after. Want to go see one after the LASIK to determine whether I see rainbows/get headaches. Do not currently.

What kind of projector do you have, CRT, DLP, LCOS?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I run a barco CRT projector.

Good luck with your Lasik, I hope all goes well for you :) I would describe the proceedure as 1 hour of nurses putting drops in your eyes (not so bad!!) 2 minutes of discomfort (the surgery - no pain but you eyes are held open and they use a really really bright light, not wait it is *BRIGHT*), followed by uncomfortable light sensitivity until you get home and take the happy/sleeping pill.

Make sure you have your post-op scheduled for as early as possible the following morning so you can get the shields off and experience the bliss asap!!!

I don't think you need to worry about the rainbow thing - I think it is based in your brain/visual system not your eyes.

- Rick

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Art Sonneborn
My vision problems are age related so nothing for me out there yet.
Art, I'm pretty sure lasik will correct for age eye problems as well. If you get lasik when you are younger, your eyes will still get bad when you get older if they were supposed to. That's all genetic. If your eyes go bad as you are getting older, lasik can help you to see better.

I have 20-15 vision. If I wore glasses, would I get lasik? I'm not sure. There are still too many people whose eyes get worse from lasik. Though it is done with a machine so little chance for human error.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Toxarch
Art, I'm pretty sure lasik will correct for age eye problems as well. If you get lasik when you are younger, your eyes will still get bad when you get older if they were supposed to. That's all genetic. If your eyes go bad as you are getting older, lasik can help you to see better.
Yes and no. The kind of vision trouble that some people have as youngsters has to do with the shape of the lens or the distance from there to the retina. LASIK can handle this by reshaping the cornea in front of the lens so it's as if you are "wearing" contact lenses or glasses all the time, built-in.

But the lens also has to change shape to adjust for distances. When relaxed, it's adjusted as "far" as it goes, but looking at close-up stuff requires that you pull your own lenses out of their relaxed shape a bit. The catch is that the lens is always slowly getting thicker, so pretty much everyone eventually finds it too difficult to bend to the appropriate shape for seeing things close up. This lack of adjustability is the problem older people face. Glasses, contact lenses, and LASIK can all address the focus at a given distance, but none of them can improve the ability to re-focus when looking at things from different distances. The closest you can come is with multifocal lenses in glasses or "monovision" in LASIK (in which the two eyes are adjusted to be "right" for different distances and your brain always picks the clearer image it's given).

My LASIK guy said that by the time I have to worry about my thickening lenses, other treatments being worked on for that should be ready to go. But it hasn't happened yet.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
It's not just thickening of the lens. As you get older, the shape of the eye can change, thus causing vision to become out of focus.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I would have to say that nearsightedness is a problem of stress do to reading small print for hours and hours, this makes the eyes weak and is not a shape of the eye defect so LASIK will not correct this problem. Native peoples who were proficient distance viewers for hunting, did not develop eyesight problems until they were taught to read. I blame my need for glasses on my over zealous 3rd grade teacher who thought using low contrast colors for print was a good idea, so now I'm stuck with these eye crutches that I did not really need in the first place. Soon I hope to try the "See Clearly Method" to restore my vision to 20-20.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually...

Nearsightedness is when the lense in your eye is too flat, and farsightedness is when the lense in your eye is too curved.

Lasik / glasses / contacts can correct both.

I can't find much online about "see clearly" except all the site selling the package or promoting it --- looks like something you would find in a info-mercial on late night TV to me heheh. Though I did find one link a trustworthy site - they hedge thier bets about it...

http://www.allaboutvision.com/buysmart/see_clearly.htm

When you try it, let us know how you get on!

- Rick

·
Registered
925 Posts
Years ago I read a book that had some Bates methods of vision improvement that I found at my local library, some of the techniques actually worked, but I never did enough of the exercises to achieve permament improvement. But two things I did notice.

One, when I go swimming my vision improves about 80% when I'm floating stress free in the water.

Two, if you make your own vision test chart using real printed words from something you enjoy like the lyrics from your favorite song or from your favorite book, without spreading the letters in the useless fashion a standard eye chart uses, and with a decent 600 dpi laser printer. I found that I could perfect focus on the tiniest of print from 5 feet away in perfect clarity (well they look like black lines, but are perfectly resolved) while at the same time was not able to clearly see the larger point print from 5 feet. This shows me that I have a problem with vision and not with eyesight, my eyes see find, it's my brain that confuses what it sees. That is why I won't do laser, because it doesn't fix the root cause of the problem, the brain. When I look at simple items like black power lines, I see them perfectly. It's just that corrective lenses have really weaken the muscles in my eyes, I used to be able to watch television without my glasses because the moving pictures are good exercise for your eyes.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Krynos
I just watched a couple of movies... sans-glasses for the first time. Odd thing, I can see more detail in the dark areas - something I am always tweeking to improve. Odd kind of upgrade but hey whatever works...!

The only thing I can think of is that before the light would bounce off my eye, hit the back of my glasses and return back to the eye... maybe - not thought about it too much.
Interestingly enough, this is exactly the same benefit you see in CRT projectors when you optically remove the first lens by using liquid coupling (LC) between the CRT surface and the first lens! (more detail in dark areas because of the reduced light bounce).

It sounds like you've just upgraded your eyes from AC (air-coupled) to LC! :)

Kal

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.