AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try to write good titles, I think I got close to my problem.

DVL-91, everything seems to work, this just fumbles my understanding. Book is useless for this.

I expected Analog St, L,R and Digital St, L, R options to just select which 'track' supplied was out of the analog jacks, and left else as it was.

With DTS discs, Dig L or Dig R interrupts the DTS 5.1 output all together.

Is this a fault or normal, any logical reason why?

THX

THS

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
If you are listening to the 5.1 encoded sound you cannot select Right or Left as this is not a normal Stereo bitstream it is a 5.1 DTS encoded bitstream and the processing chips cannot detect right or left.

Really it does not make sense why you would do this. Right/Left is a stereo function and you want the DTS 5.1 sound.

When you want 5.1 that is what it outputs. When you want stereo then right/left have a meaning.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey - thanks for your time, I've seen a lot of your posts.

Actually, I'm still getting used to new gear and format, and testing different hookups, formats, and such. So I am trying all combinations, getting used to selecting commentary tracks, etc. Based on some discs I've tried, it seems losing movie tracks while listening to commentary might be common, and worthy of 2 stream hookups.

But still, the selection of Dig L or R interrupts the DTS digital output.

1 Isn't the whole selection process normally just for the analog outputs? Such as the analog outputs will present the selection of analog signal st or L or R, or the digital st, or L or R (say for headphones, recording, or non-coax/optical gear) and the digital just continues to do its own thing?

2 Is it just DTS that's different? And why?

3 Is this all normal, or do I have a fault?

Trying to learn, and assess gear!

THX

THS

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
1. For LD it lets you select right/left/stereo for either analog or digital, just the way to was designed.

2. Again DTS stereo which is only in CD's or DTS 5.1 LD or CD? LD was developed before 5.1 either AC-3 or DTS. You just need to accept that with LD the decoding chip feeds right/left/stereo out the dig output just as you select and it can only separate Stereo recordings. IF it is a DTS 5.1 recording it does not know how to separate a 5.1 signal so you get nothing.

3. Its fine, just enjoy it.

If you are talking about DVD's then I'm done as I specialize in LD. How the DVD section works is totally how Pioneer programmed the decoder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts