Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a CLD-D99,same in appearance to the LD-S9.It was made in 1996.It'[s been away once to be repaired as it stopped playing discs.Since then it's developed the old won't stop spinning when the stop button is pressed.I've cleaned the rubber ring a number of times but still no definitive solution.I also have a CLD-925 and the ring on that motor is of different material(it works great,just the picture is not that great).Does anyone know if the motors are interchangable or is there some material or modification that can be done to cure this problem?There must be some solution to this as I've seen 3 others that do it as well,of course if you don't use your player much you won't have a problem.Also any other modifications you guy's know of for this machine would be greatly appreciated.

Cheer's Steve.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Kurtis

I have scrubbed it as clean as I could get it with 100% alcohol isopropyl,even taking the top clamping assbly off to get a clear view at the rubber ring.Would attention with a fiberglass eraser be of any benefit?I clean it as best as I can,and after a few more discs it cloggs back up again.

Cheer's Steve.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
It really comes down to do you clean it or really scrub it to resurface. I you chamos swabs. If you are using cotton tip or foam swabs then you'll never get it cleaning properly. Also, is there any grime on your LD labels? that will make it go bad quickly again. Mayby you should clean the top half of the clamp.

Just don't scrub so hard that you destroy the rubber ring.

Kurtis

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi

Well I took to it with the fiberglass eraser,holding the vaccum cleaner real close to the area being cleaned,definitley cleaned it better than the fluid,seem's like there's a diamond tread pattern on the rubber ring.I also cleaned the top clamp,but this is made of plastic.Anyway I started and stopped a few discs and fingers crossed no problems yet.Kurtis,are there any worthwhile aftermarket mods that are worth doing for this particular player?My player looks identical to an S9,is it the same machine?

Cheer's Steve.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Steve, the D99 is just like the 99 except that instead of the wood side panels you have heavy metal:D plates instead. Presumably, they're ballast for audio's sake. I think the D99 weighs about 3 kg more, or there-about's... I have an S9 and a 99 and the S9 is the better player through the S-video output. They say it's in the water, eerrr, filtering, ugh comb filtering that is. The S9 has their best 3-D comb. It has better, more vivid colour. I'd say the 99 is approximately as good a player as the S9 on B & W material only. I like the pale gold, chauum-payne better myself. Then I'm sick of black on black components that dominate the U.S. domestic selection. Kurtis may know of some other little differences between the 99 and D99 but there may be no others, ouside of the voltage selector...? Best wishes! :)

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
Rachel is correct, the D99 just changes color and replaces the simulated Woodgrain panels with heavier metal ones.

Now the S9 will give you the same output using the composite output. But the S9 has two strengths.

1) It has the 2nd generation Adaptive filter which definitely is better then the 1st generation in the 99 and D99. I cannot get excited about the 99 and D99 Adaptive filter but it does do a good job virtually eliminating NTSC artifacts like dot crawl. The 2nd generation in the S9 and X9 will give you a sharper picture through the 2nd generation filter and it just works better.

2) The S9 and X9 do not play 5 inch CDV's or CD's so they have a much larger clamp surface and it clamps better to the point you would probably not ever experience the slippage you were having trouble with. Unless you grease it or it totally dries out.

If you have the funds I'd get the X9 over the S9 as it does not have the smear issues, plus the red laser just tracks better with basically no crosstalk. The D/A converters are also audiophile Burr-Brown ones where the S9 has the same Philips 1-bit D/A's as in the 99 and S9. The Philips chip is fine unless you are a picky audiophile. Of course if you use your preamps D/A decoder this doesn't matter.

BTW, I would have really scrubed with the chamos cleaning stick as I have not found an LD clamp that I cannot fix doing this yet. The other option is a new motor as it comes with a new clamp.

I have not found a source to buy pads that will stick or guaranteed to stay on the clamp solid.

Kurtis

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi

Thank's Racheal and Kurtis,for the info on the 99 s9 and x9.I'd love to try an x9 but I think the going rate is about USD3500 which by the time I ship it to New Zealand it would owe me NZD8000.That amount would get me about 180 dvd's.I only have 140 Ld's.I run the 99 through a Quadscan pro,ver2.05 (no filters)in to a Runco 930/studiotek130.The cable I use between the 99 and Quad is the Kimber silver-s-video.This cable virtually elliminates noise and makes M1000sv and even the copper kimber look like garbage.You guy's have X9's,find a dealer that will loan you a piece of the silver kimber and give it a try,you will be amazed.

Cheer's Steve.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.