AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought new Laserdisc players were discontinued long ago. I was wrong.

Pioneer has been selling new Laserdisc players, but now will sell out their current stock and manufacture no new Laserdisc players. Apparently Blu Ray, and DVD, have finally KILLED OFF Laserdisc:

http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...&utm_medium=rp

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
This "is" a surprise. I bet the technology lived on longer in Japan then the states.

Ill take this as a sign to off my quad 8 track tape player before the official "End of Manufactured" bulletin hits!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am glad that I heavily invested into the Laserdisc format and have no worries with pioneers decision.

The other good news is that spare parts are readily available for the following models in the UK : DVL-909 / DVL-919 / CLD-925 AND OLDER MODELS.

The only players in my inventory that need a service are the DVL-909 & CLD-99, and the good news is that I have a Pioneer service engineer in my town that will carry out this work.......yes it will be quite expensive, but if the player gives me many more years of service, then I am happy to pay the price.

I love the LD format with a passion.......DVD / HD DVD and BLU-RAY have joined my collection but will never match the collectability factor of LASERDISC.

A number of people are hung up on the better picture quality of the smaller disc's, but I am one of those individuals that just loves watching films and enjoy the formats......on disc, I love the smooth whooooshing sound of the players starting / spinning up and side A to B..........the size of the disc's, handling them, placing them in their covers and generally looking at the cover art............Laserdisc's are Fantastic.

The other thing to note is that those that love the laserdisc format are way different to the dedicated DVD ect crowd, This truth I noticed when I first started the AV hobby in 1998 and things will never be the same again.........LONG LIVE THE LASERDISC FORMAT ''YES''

PIONEER over commited to the Laserdisc format 2005 which was mean't to be when they would stop LD player production, so 2009 and the fact that there is an RF INPUT on the current SUSANO REFERENCE AV RECEIVER speaks volumes(pardon the pun) about PIONEER. Thank you Pioneer
.........they are a trusted manufacturer for most av enthusiasts that are looking for quality.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Laserdisc dead 2002 when they stopped produce the LD-S9 and HLD-X9.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Karaoke bars everywhere now are having heart attacks. I know of one tiny Japanese place locally that has two Pioneer 100 stacker LD players sitting on their stage. Apparently both need some cam/gear that is no longer available, and is a known problem in them. $10K I think when they were new.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
So, LaserDisc outlived HD-DVD? Wow, who would have thunk it?

It is sad to see LaserDisc go, but I appreciately how Pioneer has stood by the format and supported it long after its time to service those who were heavily invested in the format.

I guess the Kaleidescape bulk laser disc reader isn't going to hit the market now?

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
I want a 4K laserdisc!

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
Kept my Star Wars special edition boxed set just for memories.... I really liked the old DD and THX intros that they had in front of many of the movies. Great stuff. SJ

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I kept my LDs almost 200 large disces.Sadly I can watch any more when compared to BD,still worth for my good old day of it's age.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Lasers were like albums for the cover art and inserts. The DVD cases just are not the same.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It was news to me too that they were still making LD players somewhere until now. I have a very small hope that someday Pioneer will reproduce one of it's best laserdisc models for the collector's market, the way you can get fine phonograph players still from upscale AV retailers.

In the meantime, I am also fortunate to live in a city that still has a Pioneer service technician that is very comfortable tending to laserdisc players, and I hope to get several more years out of my collection. LDs are now finally very affordable in used book or video stores. And, although I love my BDs and HD DVDs for great picture quality and bonus features, I am not a purist. I've got some great older movies on LD, some of which are still not available on DVD. Or, if they are on DVD, they are more expensive than their used LD counterparts. The other day I picked up a couple of dramas on LD for a couple of dollars each. One of them was only briefly available on DVD and is now sold used online at extortionate prices. It's nice to have options. HD DVD is giving me that same kind of option for savings right now.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
The main difference of laserdisc players and phonographs is that they still make music on those old vinyl discs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Was watching the LD of "Jaws" the other day as we were testing my system after putting in a new video and a new audio processor. Not a very bright picture, but still an option. I believe I have a dozen or so films from my collection of about 170 LDs that I have not repurchased in other media.

And Pioneer equipment, I have the matched pair, CLD-99 and DVD-09. Beautiful! Also have a Mitsu LD player that I believe plays both sides without having to turn the disk.

Is there still a market for the equipment and LDs? I didn't think there was.

·
Registered
936 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
FEB 12th 2AM

) Home Electronics Business

Pioneer will terminate any further in-house display product development after its

products currently available on the market, and withdraw from the display business by March 2010. Recent market conditions have changed far more than initially anticipated, and Pioneer has decided to withdraw from the display business after concluding that there are no prospects for improving profitability under current conditions. However, the Company will continue to provide after-sales services even after the withdrawal.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090212/..._japan_pioneer

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
I'm sure glad I brought laserdisc many years ago in the early 1990's, wouldn't have it any other way.

I'd like spare parts for my Pioneer CLD 1750 and 2950 models to keep them running.

I wonder if you can't pick up a brand new in the box 1750 thou I wouldn't mind Pioneer DVL-919 dual laserdisc combo DVD laserdisc with AC-3 so I can play the few Dolby stereo six-track digital titles I have. The rest is dts and that's easy to play on the above laserdisc players.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i'm just trying to get my first three messages so I can spam links relevant to a post i've wasted the last hour singing up for, typing and citing. Now I found a topic that twists my nipples and am afraid that I may reminisce about how that is spelled and even about how I was overcome by such whimsy when I first watched an educational video in 5th grade on an LD.I'm a geek, I admit it. I agree with that invested guy. Does anyone remember a format much like the size of an LD (from possibly late 70s, early 80s) but probably a magnetic tape disc of some sort. Whatever it was, came in a cartrufdge much like the old CD-ROM.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts