AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is actually a fairly high probability that we will see laser based projectors in the consumer market and commercial market within 5-6 years.

I have seen some pictures of prototypes as small as some 3 chip systems.

Here's the principal behind eliminating reflective technology(DMD LCOS)
Direct Rastering

Inside a Schneider product

Is there a need for a $225k QX-1 when you can get a $160k Laserprojector? Superior color gamut, Contrast!, always in focus at any point, so no need for keystone correction. Plus so much more.

The Schneider Videolaser with 15 second demo at the bottom!

As I've seen a couple systems from these European countries I can only assume it is sending shivers down the spines of the microdisplay industry. Is Asia and America rethinking? Can we say bye bye to DLP LCOS and even GLV? Only time will tell, but so far, there seams to be no need for a reflective device. This may be why the dozens of LCOS products haven't gone forward to market.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I do not believe in the Schneider video laser after reading these links.

They claim that the videolaser shows ghost lines where there is supposed to be black, they say a little grey is acceptable. Bye, bye Schnedier and hello Sony GLV. Well we could live with laser-crt too!!!

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Schneider is not the only company that makes these devices. But they make beautiful mounts!

Germany's STN Atlas Elektronik GmbH with info about GLV and the competition.

Eventually someone will perfect it for the consumer.

Mark Hunter, when will we see Laser Dilard? ;)

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The more I think about lasers based systems the more it makes sense.

Just imagine in RPTV alone you could eliminate 3 reflective surfaces (2 in the cabinet and the DMD or LCOS) Having constant focus at all distances would allow you to shoot the image directly at the back of the fresnal lens at any angle.

now we need a laser head and system that only costs $200 to build ;)

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
I thought that GLV *was* laser based?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Rumors run in the flight simulation industry about using these things in the future on full flight sims. Those 9" sony liquid coupled tubes ain't cheap and the weight reduction will make electric motion bases a possibility. FAA has strict guidelines concerning motion latencies and visual accuracies.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
How do they get around the specular illumination/artifact problem?

You can easily see this with a laser pointer. Shine the laser onto an object within a few inches of the laser. Look at the spray of "specular illuminaton" on reflected surfaces and around the periphery of the laser spot. It looks like a grainy, uneven light with a 3D-like effect.

There have been concerns voiced over this artifact by developers and observers of laser video projection in the past few years. Have they developed a solution?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well, you could just continuously move the screen while keeping the projected image fixed

:)

This would solve the specular reflection problem.

Alternately, the screen could be a thin panel with a white fluid inside - this would also eliminate the problem - just try shining your laser pointer at a wall then at a glass of milk. On the wall you see speckle on the milk you don't

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.