AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a warning to anyone on the fence about buying this. I unlike many critics think this movie is fun & accept it for what is & I only saw it in 2D in theaters. Now I understand all the complaints about it's 3D. This transfer literally looks like a 2d-3D conversion like how my tv converts regular tv programs & any 2D movie cuz I have a samsung led. Total waste of $ & if shown in stores would deter anyone from buying a 3Dtv. Very disappointed. I wish someone did this review b4 me but I was too impatient!

·
Registered
710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurayjunkie /forum/post/19506568

This is a warning to anyone on the fence about buying this. I unlike many critics think this movie is fun & accept it for what is & I only saw it in 2D in theaters. Now I understand all the complaints about it's 3D. This transfer literally looks like a 2d-3D conversion like how my tv converts regular tv programs & any 2D movie cuz I have a samsung led. Total waste of $ & if shown in stores would deter anyone from buying a 3Dtv. Very disappointed. I wish someone did this review b4 me but I was too impatient!

I wonder if it plays better 3D on a Panasonic Plasma TV?

·
Registered
2,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTV /forum/post/19506852

I very much doubt it; the movie was a last minute 2D>3D conversion and the 3D was panned during its theatrical run as well. In fact, several critics noted that for long stretches of the film you could take off your glasses and still watch it comfortably, meaning that many sequences weren't even converted into 3D. It was a cynical cash grab on the part of the studio to try to cash in on 3D's renewed popularity.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I like the movie, cause I like kung fu flicks. BUT the 3D was the worst. I saw it in theater and complained about it on here before. A total joke.

Definitely don't buy the 3D Blu-Ray. Actually you guys with the 2D-3D converting TVs can probably get a better effect than the DVD itself. Greedy companies, they duped me though...

·
Registered
1,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurayjunkie /forum/post/0

Thanks, it was interesting to me that when I went into the BB store yesterday to check out the new 3Ds, this was the only one sold out already. I was thinking I missed out.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Just how bad is it?

I already bought it (for $24.02 out the door using some coupons), and I was planning on giving it to my kids (10 years old) as a Christmas gift.

So, my questions are:

1) is there any visual improvement over the 2D version?

2) should I return it even with a ~$8 savings?

Thanks for your opinions.

·
Registered
75 Posts
One thing about this disc is selecting the actual 3D version on the menu.

It took me a couple of tries to actually get to the 3D version of the film and yes I agree with the other comments the 3D is terrible. Barely 3D at all matter of fact.

My Samsung does a better 2D-3D conversion of the film then the 3D conversion that was done by the studio. That's pretty sad.

·
Registered
284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner /forum/post/19506994

The movie had mediocre 3D just like Clash Of The Titans.

I think you are doing Clash Of The Titans a disservice here as it is Avatar compared to the almost nonexistent depth on display in Air Bender. Really this film should now me considered the prime example of a lousy 2D-3D conversion. Like others have said it looks like they ran it through the 3D converter on my Samsung LED set on the lowest level. Actually the film looks more dimensional watching the 2D version on the Samsung with the converter on. Doesn't Paramount have any quality control?

Stereo D is the guilty company and its sad to see they are working on other "conversions." Pass on The Last Air Bender 3D.....It's about 1.5D and not worth the money. I also wish I had known how bad this was before buying it.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I had low expectation before I watched,3D effect was so great only opening title,the rest 100 mins running time was terrible.This is one suck movie with fake 3D movie of the year.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You have to admit the 3D effects in the last battle scenes in slo-motion is pretty awesome. Just a reminder, it is based on a Kid's cartoon series. If it's based on something like "Fist of the Northstar", it'd be another class of action on its own.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner /forum/post/19506994

^^^ My guess would be no. The movie had mediocre 3D just like Clash Of The Titans.

I own both, Clash of the Titans is far improved and actually looks 3d. Air bender's 3d looks more like 2d. I feel my c8000 2d to 3d works better then this movie's 3d.

·
Banned
992 Posts
Worse script ever.

It's like a boulder drops on a bad guy and one of the good guy's say "look, the boulder dropped on that guy!"

The entire movie was like this. words words words, explaining every visual on the screen.

Pathetic

·
Registered
664 Posts
There were some decent 3D shots in this, but the Clash of the Titans 3D BD is actually quite a bit better.

As for taking glasses off during the presentation, perhaps they re-rendered this for home viewing because the majority of the film, while looking fairly flat, is rendered to look like its "behind" your screen. So pretty much every shot, if you take off your glasses, will have substantial doubling.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTV /forum/post/19506852

Viewed "The Last Airbender 3D" on my Panasonic 65" VT25 yesterday evening and thought it was pretty decent for 2D to 3D conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illogical_Mind /forum/post/19507026

Actually you guys with the 2D-3D converting TVs can probably get a better effect than the DVD itself.

Tried the 2D version using the conversion to 3D feature on my Panasonic TC-46PGT24 and found that it is not nearly as good 3D (as accurate) as the actual 3D version. Other 2D to 3D conversion TV software mileage may vary.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I just compared Clash to Airbender. Someone posted that Clash blows it away 3D wise. I have to agree. The Airbender 3D is subtle and would be easy on the eyes of any young child, maybe thats what they were going for. I'm probably in the minority here, but I would rather watch mild 3D with live action than sit thru some of the other 3D toons on the market right now. In fact, anyone want to trade for MVA or Cloudy? PM me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts