AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Its a new master, and has been reframed from the older DVD master.

Its a very dark transfer, I first saw it on VHS so am unsure if this is the way it is meant to look.

The file is 21gb and you can tell that there was a lot of compression going on:

It blows the dvd away for me, but then its hard not too.

If you can live with the blocking and the dark picture its a good price for two cool movies.

Also hope I did not step on Eric or Xylon's toes with this thread

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

·
Banned
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Banned
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Banned
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not exact frame on this one, im learning

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm quite happy with the way it looked. I never thought I would see this on Blu-ray anytime soon, so to get it with decent film-like PQ for a cheap price is ok by me.

About the darkness issue. If you look at the first set of comparison shots, you'll see the DVD has blown out whites. The billboard is completely unreadable. Whereas the Blu-ray has corrected this. I don't know how this originally looked, but the Blu-ray IMO appears a lot more natural and correct.

·
Bass Enabler
21,640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorToschi /forum/post/18910418

I'm quite happy with the way it looked. I never thought I would see this on Blu-ray anytime soon, so to get it with decent film-like PQ for a cheap price is ok by me.

About the darkness issue. If you look at the first set of comparison shots, you'll see the DVD has blown out whites. The billboard is completely unreadable. Whereas the Blu-ray has corrected this. I don't know how this originally looked, but the Blu-ray IMO appears a lot more natural and correct.

It does indeed look more natural than the dvd but compared to the rest of my BD collection, the disc is a bit dark. Nothing terrible though. I like this disc a lot. Good A/V for two movies on one disc. Not bad.

·
Banned
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its the best its ever looked by far, as its Tony Scott I would not second guess any colour timing or framing

·
Banned
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
4,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 /forum/post/18910120

The BD is 100% correct and this shot is the most obvious. The DVD is washed out. The BD looks so natural and clean. Colors look spot on. Look at damon waynes pants on the DVD. Charcoal gray. The BD is pure black.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
The film is dark. I have a 35mm trailer for it and it's dark as sin. Love this film in a guilty pleasure way.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I had absolutely no idea this was coming...I'm honestly a lot more curious about Last Man Standing, though, but still... Ordered.

·
23,013 Posts
It wasn't hard to ignore, but it was quite obvious there was some "scrubbing" done. If this was the worst it ever got AVS wouldn't be using nearly as much disk space.
Other than that it wasn't bad at all. And it wasn't too dark, it looked fine. Scott's intent came through quite well.

"Touch me again, I'll kill ya". Love that scene.

larry

·
Banned
8,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If this was on a bd50 I think we would get a better idea of the transfer, there is way too much macroblocking going on.

I still think it is one of the tightest scripts ever written dialogue wise

·
Registered
825 Posts
I just don´t understand why Warner leave so much space left on the discs that could have been used for a higher bitrate.

Those 4 gigs that´s left might have eliminated some of the blocking.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Warner goes for the lowest possible bitrate. It's just the way they do things.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts