AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the only one that has compared same system, input, feed etc on these two machines- The JVC HR-S7800U S-VHS to the Great Panny DMR- E80H DVD recorder. At XP speed the Panny wins. Panny at SP appears to be same PQ with the JVC.However IMHO if you could see what I have you might give the SP PQ contest to the JVC. I viewed the results AGAIN tonight and this JVC is outstanding. I bought it on Ebay 2 months ago for $170. Too bad tapes do not last as long as DVD. The E-80 is still King. If I could not afford the E-80, I would buy this JVC until I could and later input to the E-80. I also think the Fuji S-VHS tapes were a factor- they are the best IMHO. Postscript- The JVC at SP killed the Philips 985 DVDR at SP. I understand my late model March,2003 985 has the same optic engine as the new 75 and 80 Philips. I would bet the house on that.

·
Registered
710 Posts
HoustonGuy,

I've got the same model JVC (HR-S7800u). It is great (bought mine new about a year ago). I tried doing my own test, but I used a fresh TDK S-VHS tape. I used s-video in and out for both machines and had the TBC enhanced picture setting turned on for the 7800. I recorded the same program off of satellite simultaneously on both machines. I viewed the results on a 46 inch rear projection monitor.

I agree that at SP, the 7800u picture is fantastic. However, I still slightly preferred the E80 (HDD), only because the colors seemed to bleed less. The blurring of color on the 7800u was not enough to make the picture hard to look at, but it was noticeable to me in a back and forth comparison, and enough to make the 7800's picture look a bit fuzzy.

While you didn't mention it, LP on the E80 was much better than the EP on the 7800 (I know, that may not be a fair test, since the LP is 4 hrs per disc and the EP is 6 hours per tape, but I just wanted to mention that I did that test, too).

EP on the 7800 absolutely creams EP on the E80 (but so does EP on regular VHS, in my opinion).

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doc - I am viewing on the Sony XBR-800 40 inch which I consider to be as good as plasma- several of my friends owning plasmas came over and said that. I would like you to try a Fuji tape- but they are only available over the net. I used cable input digital for both. The DVDs are being played on the xp30 panny which most people do not have. This reinforces my case IMHO.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is another reason I use the JVC- I use it as a backup in case something goes wrong on the Panny E-80 when recording critical programs that I cannot afford to lose- esp on timer recording.

·
Registered
710 Posts
HoustonGuy,

Don't get me wrong.

I agree that the 7800 and the E80 are neck and neck at SP, and maybe the tape would tip the scales (to mix metaphors). I think the 7800 is about as good as an analog VCR can get. I really shopped and researched before getting it (which I bought just days after getting a 5900). I fully expect to use it for a 14 or so years, as has been the case with my trusty but creeky HR-S8000u and HR-S5000u (both in constant use since 1989 and now retired).

I'll add a big plus to the JVC's column:

both my C-band satellite receiver and my DishNetwork receiver can control it. Timer recording on it is much easier than with the E80, which requires me to set timers on both the satellite box and the DVR.

On the other hand, I have 5 LARGE bookcases and several boxes full of tapes, and discs would sure save a lot of space!:D

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you had S-VHS in 1989 I am impressed. Did it not debut in the USA in 1987-88? If what you are saying is true, you were an early adopter and JVC dropped their trousers when they saw you running up to the counter. I hope our machines last for 14 years.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Put your SVHS machine on a 57" Rear Projection TV. It's over 50% larger in screen area than the 46" and even larger than the 40". That size makes a big big difference. And I use Fuji tapes, which I've never had trouble getting and I don't live in NYC.

Also, all of the Panasonics have component video out. Even interlaced 480 is superior to SVideo. Reds alone make a giant difference.

I know that's not an "equal" comparison. But I can't do an "equal" comparison when the machines aren't equal.

My JVC is fine. It's the best video tape recorder I've ever owned. (Hopefully they will do something superior with discs before I migrate to HDTV, so I don't have to buy a DVHS machine.) I have taken tapes that were recorded from digital cable on my JVC 7200 and copied them over to DVD RAM on my Panasonic E20 and the E20 picture and sound are better than the source material.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.