AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It started out showing DD 5.1 and HDTV, instead it is lousy upconverted 4:3 NTSC crap.

I guess incompetence rules at SHO control center during holiday periods.

bb

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bb1987
It started out showing DD 5.1 and HDTV, instead it is lousy upconverted 4:3 NTSC crap.

I guess incompetence rules at SHO control center during holiday periods.
Geez, maybe, just maybe, there was a technical problem with the HD playback equipment, encoding equipment, or routing equipment? Why do you immediately assume that the people who are running master control at Showtime are incompetant? It's pretty difficult to get a job in master control at a national network without having a certain amount of experience and expertise. I'm quite sure the people at Showtime are not intentionally destroying the HD feed specifically to annoy and antagonize their subscribers.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mmost

Geez, maybe, just maybe, there was a technical problem with the HD playback equipment, encoding equipment, or routing equipment? Why do you immediately assume that the people who are running master control at Showtime are incompetant? It's pretty difficult to get a job in master control at a national network without having a certain amount of experience and expertise. I'm quite sure the people at Showtime are not intentionally destroying the HD feed specifically to annoy and antagonize their subscribers.
Because there is a very simple way to communicate such a situation to the viewers. Instead of showing the HDTV logo in the beginning you show a screeen saying something like this:

DUE TO TECHNICAL PROBLEMS THIS MOVIE WILL BE SHOWN IN STANDARD DEFINITION.

I did not assume that the person at the controls was sending the movie out in SD specifically to antagonize the subscribers, but I am instead assuming that he probably just forgot to switch the switch, or whatever they do to turn on HD.

bb

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Yeah, I couldn't believe it wasn't 16:9 HD. Come on Showtime get with it!!

Mike

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's on again right now and this time they remembered to show the HD version. At least I am still able to tape it.

bb

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I flipped over today(Sunday) and noticed it was 16x9 today as well.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.