AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just watched What dreams may come, what a gorgeous transfer. Anyone else watch anything lately on this platform?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any idea if the HD version is any better than the BD version? Ive been debating if I should start converting my collection...

·
Registered
437 Posts
I just started revisiting Battlestar Galactica Season 1. I'm too cheap to rebuy it on blu ray.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Matrix trilogy.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
The Last Samurai. Wouldn't play all the way through without issues. Replaced with a BD. First time I've had to do that. Only other BD replacement I've done is Casablanca for the deluxe box set.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I watched Assault on Precinct 13 a couple weeks ago. I dunno, although I've committed to Blu-ray (lots of discs and Oppo 93), every time I put in an HD-DVD, I can't help but think that the wrong format won.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
alot of people still feel that way. My BD collection outways my HD collection 5:1, but I still hiccups on playing some of the new movies on my "new" BD player....oh well. Ill be watching the thing and the pianist this weekend though

·
Registered
343 Posts
Still have dozen or so "shrinkwrapped" HD's to watch (out of nearly 200), started to give up on them as both my A30 and A35 would freeze up toward the end of ANY disc I played.

Well my "new" XA2 solved that (EVERYTHING that was said on this unit PQ, AQ, and build is TRUE).

Just watched "Trading Places" with Eddie Murphy, Dan Ackroyd , and a very yummy Jaime Lee Curtis. Classic 80's comedy with more language and nudity than I remember (hence the R rating), but it looked awesome and sounding pretty decent for the age. NO film grain and only occasionally, the picture looked a little off. (this is on my 46" Sony LCD) . I would rank this up with one of the best PQ in my collection. I watched Eddie's followup "Coming to America" years back and I remember it looked very good as well, these are both Paramount discs.

Still have 3 players hooked up and always look forward to HDDVD movie night.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Trying to go through my entire collection looking for "coasters" has reopened my eyes to my HD collection. Recent viewings include:

Excalibur

Superman II, Richard Donner Cut

Blade Runner, Final Cut

V for Vendetta

too many movies, so little time.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Monte Carlo

Casablanca

Troy

Forty Year Old Virgin

Chronicles of Riddick

Serenity

Still watching without many problems. Dazed and Confused did go south on me along with Black Snake Moan.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
A milestone . . .

We watched "Scary Movie 4" on HD-DVD yesterday. It played perfectly and was just as silly a movie as the rest of the Scary Movies.

This is the last of the never been watched HD-DVDs in my collection.

Update: fired up "Bourne Identity" yesterday. What a terrific film and it played perfectly.

Another update: another day, another Bourne flick on HD-DVD = "The Bourne Supremacy" = a non-stop action flick with excellent PQ & AQ.

"Bourne Ultimatum" was also loaded with action, although some parts were a bit repetitive to scenes & themes in the 1st 2 films. Great pq & aq and this combo disc played just fine.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts