AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I would like to thank everyone for all your suggestions, especially shadyj.

However, I'm torn between the svs pc12 and the hsu vtf3 mk4. I,m about 75%movies 25% music. I also enjoy really deep bass. My room size is right for either and the wife says whichever sounds best and actually kind of liked the idea of a cylinder. I know the svs has a smaller footprint but due to my room setup i would only have one other place to set it which by the way wouldn't be a bad place for it, but at the end of the day the svs would probably end up in the same place the hsu would.

Bottom line my heart says svs but my brain says hsu, only because of that extra space and the cylinder does look pretty cool.

So with that being said, any last minute suggestions before i pull the trigger tomorrow?

Thank you guys all in advance and patience.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I bet after a few months or years, you'll want a second sub for either...
  • the additional 3db or more of output
  • and/or the benefits of smoothing the frequency response.

If you KNEW you were going to buy a second sub in one year, would that sway the decision for or against the cylinder?

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I think either would be a great sub, and they will each offer about the same amount of output. One thing I might look at if I were you is, right now Hsu is clearancing out all their VTF3 mk3s, and all they have left is the Rosenut finish , which is a gorgeous looking sub. The mk4 won't have any real performance advantage over the mk3, just a couple of extra features, and the rosenut is regularly 800, but now is clearancing for 650, so that's a very good deal for a classy looking sub. That's probably what I would go for at this point in time, and it's nice, furniture-grade finish may ameliorate the wife's inevitable surprise at the sheer size of the thing. Keep in mind that a box sub will be easier to resell than a cylinder sub, if you ever needed to, although any SVS or Hsu sub will sell pretty swiftly on ebay or Audiogon due to their good reputations.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyleron /forum/post/20878429

I bet after a few months or years, you'll want a second sub for either...
  • the additional 3db or more of output
  • and/or the benefits of smoothing the frequency response.

If you KNEW you were going to buy a second sub in one year, would that sway the decision for or against the cylinder?

I do plan on purchasing a second sub down the line and would almost certainly be a ported box enclosure.

I'm but a padwan thank you sir.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ /forum/post/20879026

I think either would be a great sub, and they will each offer about the same amount of output. One thing I might look at if I were you is, right now Hsu is clearancing out all their VTF3 mk3s, and all they have left is the Rosenut finish , which is a gorgeous looking sub. The mk4 won't have any real performance advantage over the mk3, just a couple of extra features, and the rosenut is regularly 800, but now is clearancing for 650, so that's a very good deal for a classy looking sub. That's probably what I would go for at this point in time, and it's nice, furniture-grade finish may ameliorate the wife's inevitable surprise at the sheer size of the thing. Keep in mind that a box sub will be easier to resell than a cylinder sub, if you ever needed to, although any SVS or Hsu sub will sell pretty swiftly on ebay or Audiogon due to their good reputations.

Sweet finish, thank you once again shadyj. Your absolutely correct never seen either on eBay and once on craigslist which sold that same day.

I'm going to sleep on it. One thing I do know is that the wife is kind of looking forward to it, and is leaving it all up to me, so I got to take advantage of this asap.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgetdwn /forum/post/20879077

I do plan on purchasing a second sub down the line and would almost certainly be a ported box enclosure.

I'm but a padwan thank you sir.

If I may elaborate, as much as a dual sub setup might appeal to me I would unfortunately have to decline due to the waf.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.