AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a Replay 4040 and saw a few items mentioned when upgrading to a maxtor 160 GB drive. Are there still issues with running out of memory? I would like to order the largest *stable* drive possible. Thanks!

Rafael

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
No problem with memory on the 4000 series. If your computer can not support 133Mhz bus you will need the PCI 133 MHz card that comes with the retail 160 gig Maxtor drive. Also you will need to use RTVPatch 2.1.3Beta and a win2000/XP operating system to use all the space in the 160 gig drive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do I need to use the PCI card? I mean, if I set up the drive with the RTV utility in XP, can't I just shlep it on my IDE bus and use it at whatever speed my mobo supports?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
No, unfortunatly you will only get 137 gigs instead of the whole 160 without the PCI card.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
And to be pedantic again -- the support for RRBDs and support for 133mhz IDE bus are completely separate, they just happened to happen at more or less the same time, so most/all 133mhz controllers support RRBDs and most/all slower controllers don't. For a lot of controllers, RRBD support is really a software issue, so with updated drivers they can do it too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
got my obnoxiously huge drive in today. Unfortunately I forgot that since I didn't get the retail product, it did not come with the 133 card. I will rush order the card and let is do the low level format with powermax while I wait.

thanks everyone! I will keep you all posted - wish me luck! I did the old procedure with my old replay and I hope to have the same luck.

Another by the way question - do you all keep your old original replay drives? I kept mine but never needed it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.