AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am begging for assistance!

Whats-up everyone, Stephen here with some last minute ideas and questions.

I literally just found out that a room that I was planning on working with over the next year or so has been seriously pushed forward in its development stage. I have a 33' x 35' room, with an already framed out space of 21 x 35. This is going to be a multipurpose room, but primarily it will be a theater and a live music area. There will be a drum set, guitars, piano etc... I am planning on having a bar area and games too (ping-pong, pool table). Here is a rough sketch of the room dimensions (sorry for the crappy quality but it is the best I can do right now):

I am lining the ducts with linacoustic, using dynamat, decoupling + DGGD etc... So the end product will have 10 foot ceilings (currently it is 11.5'), and 21 x 35.

Basically my questions comes down to a few different topics for future proofing of this room. Here they are and thanks in advance:

Acoustic treatment

1. The far wall where the piano is will be my screen wall with in-wall speakers for the theater, and also be the platform from where the live music is played. There will also be house speakers set up throughout the room to provide ambient noise when the room is being used for a party or something. I am guessing maybe 3 or 4 in-ceiling speakers or a couple big PA style speakers in the corners. What kind of things should I do to be able to control the sound not only from my home theater speakers (5.1 with a sub), but also from the live music and house speakers? Acoustical treatment panels? Certain kinds of tiles on the ceiling?

I probably will not have carpet, but still have to make a decision soon whether to stay with wood floors...

Wiring

2. What do I need to do to run all the cables I should possibly need? I will definately have a media closet and would like to have different zones setup as far as between the "entry" area, the room above that and the theater. I am guessing run some hdmi to where the projector will be... Run Coax, speaker wire to various places etc...

Components

3. What are the recommended things to buy for a project like this? I definatley will have a PS3 for the theater, but for the home theater and house speakers i am lost? I already have a mixer and stuff for the live music aspect and have that pretty well ironed out. I am sorry for the vagueness I am just kind of overwhelmed right now and would like some quick advice as we start this week
!

I am sure I have missed something but I just wanted to start and get my thoughts down as we are getting to ready to run forward! I just thought that never again will this room be so bare bones, and be like an art canvas just ready for my brushstrokes. So if there was any kind of future proofing I could do right now (especially in terms of acoustics and the construction side) then I should do them now while it is still "fairly" uncomplicated.

Thanks and this place rocks!!!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We have just finished drywalling and running the mic lines from the component rack in the back of the room to the front music stage / theater area. I have purchased some speakers and am getting ready to set those up too. I will post more pictures and info later when I have time, but for right now I have a quick question.

Concerning acoustical treatments... We had initially thought of purchasing acoustic panels to treat the room in strategic places. However I had a quick thought that maybe it would be more cost-effective to do the linacoustic/cotton batting approach instead. I have been told that the stage wall where the instruments and theater speakers will be placed is the most important wall to treat.

Would it be a good idea to completely cover the stage wall with linacoustic and then stretch GOM overtop? Or would the benefits of putting that money instead toward multiple panels throughout the room outweigh having an entire treated wall directly behind the stage?

1/2 linacoustic 1/2 cotton batting on the stage wall, and then just a couple panels along the side walls and back area.

Also the drums will have a drum shield head high.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

· Registered
6,162 Posts
I got your PM to reply here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangloose /forum/post/15777934

I have been told that the stage wall where the instruments and theater speakers will be placed is the most important wall to treat.

In my opinion the front wall you face is probably the least important wall. This assumes normal box speakers, not dipoles that send sound equally front and rear. With box speakers most of the sound is sent away from the front wall. More here:

Front Wall Absorption

Quote:
Would it be a good idea to completely cover the stage wall with linacoustic and then stretch GOM overtop? Or would the benefits of putting that money instead toward multiple panels throughout the room outweigh having an entire treated wall directly behind the stage?

All music / HT rooms need broadband absorption, including substantial bass trapping - not just thin absorption flat on the surfaces. If you read my Acoustics FAQ that BIGmouth linked you'll understand the importance of corner bass trapping.

There's also a ton of useful advice - articles, videos, software downloads, etc - on my company's RealTraps.com web site.

--Ethan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.