AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, first, big anger vs Mr Mann for altering the dvd version. sorry, the cinematic version is the one for me. :rolleyes:

image speaking, the dvd (anamorphic, dts) needs a new mastering and better blacks and contrast on several scenes.

and of course, how much encoding has improved in 2years !!!!

the contrast on several scenes is even better on the ld !

but to top it all, the sound! sorry, this dvd track pales compared tothe mighty AC3 ld: especially the center channel is much too weak on the dvd and the bass are non existant compared to the ld!!

I don't know what they did but be it nearfield or a complete different audio master, the ld is THAT much better.

reminds me of the alien dvd / ac3 ld story..... or strange days

weird....

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
David,

I own both the US-R1 versions. Are you suggesting the R2 version as a solution? Or just pointing out that discussion in general?

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi DRS

no, just that some laserdisc guys commented in the same direction in this HTF thread.

i talked about this again today with a good friend who's into laserdiscs also (before me) and who owns some serious collection of lds and dvds and has nice hardware (lexicon, yamaha pro, etc): we constantly remind ourselves how the ld sound was without any critic most of the time, with untouched audio masters especially. now, there are some powerful dvd audio from top to bottom frequencies like blade 2 for instance (even though not perfect, see dvdfile's review). but for how many dvds that sound thin, without any authority, any oomph!

one title I will compare soon is hunt for red october , as paramout releases it in a new transfer with dts etc. my AC3 ld is ready on the starting blocks ! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.