1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a AMD fusion HTPC but it cant play blu-ray iso over 40GB+

so now I are looking to upgrade

I are lokking on a intel or amd system

Intel Core i5-2500T, on a mini itx but can it play blu-ray whit the cpu and onbord gpu ?

I have also lokking on a amd system

whit a AMD A-Series A6-3500

but I prefer the intel system if it can play blu-ray

·
Registered
527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte /forum/post/20846540

An i3 2100 would be fine for HTPC and not hiccup like the AMD fusion. Check out Assassin's guide for recommended builds.

Why would the AMD Fusion "Hiccup"?

·
Registered
4,538 Posts

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
look for an i3 Sandy Bridge setup. They can be put together very cheaply.

I built a WHS 2011 box based around a G620this weekend. I built it quite inexpensively, but with some thoughtful shopping I could have done the same thing at the same price with an i3 2100 had I fully thought through the build before I started.

If you have MicroCenter and Fry's nearby and everyone has NewEgg, you use need to leverage them properly.

I just finished the build

Mid-tower Case, PSU, G620, Biostar H61MH, 4 GB Ram $199 (NewEgg)

WHS 2011 $50 (NewEgg) actually bought it elsewhere but NewEgg had the same price the Next Day

Asus DVD Drive $22

2 TB Hitachi HDD $70 (Fry's)

=========================

That was the basics $341, it would have been a perfectly serviceable HTPC with the subistution of Windows Home Premium for WHS.

I added:

3 TB Hitachi HDD $109 (Fry's)

External Manual Fan Controller $8 (MicroCenter)

External ESata bracket $8 (MicroCenter)

Hitachi DUO 2x1 TB Externral ESata and cable for WHS Back UP $100 (Woot for the Raid, Fry's the cable)

Antec 380M Green Earthwatts 80 plus Bronze PSU $40 (NewEgg)

Component parts are cheap.. Very easy build. Could have been an HTCP client at any point along the way. Had I been careful and used MicroCenter better I could have built an i3 2100 based box for the same money. I did not think it out as strategically as I should have. I could have chosen a casefrom MicroCenter with a PSU comparable to the Antec Green PSU and save the $40.00

I have bult about all the HTOC clients I need right now. Once the server has been up a couple of weeks and proved itself. I will move my Ceton InfiniTV 4 into the Windows Home Server.

The only bad part was I ordered a Tripplite Green UPS for the server from Buy.Com and it appears to be DOA.

It is all up and running, 4 clients backed, server backed up. A couple more clients to install WHS connect on tomorrow and backup. After that I need to start to copy media over to the server.. all is well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been building HTPC's for many, many years, but I'll probably never do it again. There is to much hazzel with it, and you can get rather cheap boxes that works identically to the setup you wanted in the first place. No more irritating noises in the computer case or components, no more accidents when replacing parts, no more time researching what will work with your system or what price tag they have.

Just purchase a ASRock Vision 3D, and be done with it
This baby can handle everything a HTPC needs. It's small and quiet. At least 3 of us at J River forum have tested it now, and we're happier than ever. There is several models from ASRock to look at.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHaugen /forum/post/20860749

I've been building HTPC's for many, many years, but I'll probably never do it again. There is to much hazzel with it, and you can get rather cheap boxes that works identically to the setup you wanted in the first place. No more irritating noises in the computer case or components, no more accidents when replacing parts, no more time researching what will work with your system or what price tag they have.

This baby can handle everything a HTPC needs. It's small and quiet. At least 3 of us at J River forum have tested it now, and we're happier than ever. There is several models from ASRock to look at.

There are much better options out there. There are even a few completely custom htpc companies.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Quote:

As someone who just finished building my first computer (an htpc), I thought I'd reply to this.

I spent a fair amount of time researching components, but honestly, I would have spent close to that amount of time researching pre-built htpcs. As far as irritating noises, I can't hear my htpc at all in my media cabinet.

Regarding the ASRock Vision, the model on newegg for 930 has a i5-560M mobile cpu, 2 gb ram, 500 gb hd. The htpc i just built for slightly over half that amount has a desktop i3, 4 gb ram, 2 TB hd, and a 64 gb SSD. The only thing I didn't get was a bluray drive (no need, so I spent $30 less on a DVD drive). There is no way I could have justified spending so much more money on a less robust system.

It's a personal choice to buy or build, but one can save quite a lot of money by building.

·
Registered
527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankev /forum/post/20864377

As someone who just finished building my first computer (an htpc), I thought I'd reply to this.

I spent a fair amount of time researching components, but honestly, I would have spent close to that amount of time researching pre-built htpcs. As far as irritating noises, I can't hear my htpc at all in my media cabinet.

Regarding the ASRock Vision, the model on newegg for 930 has a i5-560M mobile cpu, 2 gb ram, 500 gb hd. The htpc i just built for slightly over half that amount has a desktop i3, 4 gb ram, 2 TB hd, and a 64 gb SSD. The only thing I didn't get was a bluray drive (no need, so I spent $30 less on a DVD drive). There is no way I could have justified spending so much more money on a less robust system.

It's a personal choice to buy or build, but one can save quite a lot of money by building.

^ This.

The AsRock system is far overpriced for what you get. You can also build a significantly faster and better looking HTPC for the same amount of money or less.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Depending on your budget, my two favorite HTPC SandyBridge CPUs would be either the i3-2105 (when it's the same price as the i3-2100) or the i5-2405S. If you don't need 3D, consider also the G620. All are very capable and have enough CPU horsepower to pick up any slack when the GPU cannot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've built 3 complete HTPC's, and I've changed a lot of components in them as well. In the end, the price have always ended up around the price you would pay for a Pre Built system.

The 3D part of the ASRock is what costs a lot. Drop that one, and go for the cheaper models, and you'll have a better comparison. You can not compare the 3D model to a self built system without it. Even though you have twice the RAM and quadruple Harddrive space. This two things is basically free today!

Of course, all of this is very dependent on personal taste. But you can not deny, that building such small form factor power units with low to no noise production at a cheap price, is not easy. It takes a lot of time to find the right components that fit, and work well together as well. Especially if you want the small form factor.

I've tried for years, and never succeeded. Even with bigger cases. There is just so many places you can mess up. From this day on, I would never even think about the possible 100 bucks more I might be spending. I would spend 4 times as much in just research, building and headaches

·
Registered
2,704 Posts

Quote:

My experience has always been that the "hazzel" relates almost entirely to the software integration, and you face that reality whether you build or buy.

Indeed, it's usually less with a build because at least the hardware components are what you want or need for your system rather than what the manufacturer chose. I've also had fewer "irritating noises" and need for replaced parts with systems I built because I used higher quality, quieter parts than Dell or HP or others would ever use.

It might not be any cheaper, but I got a better system.

And wake me when some big manufacturer actually sells a system that looks like it belongs on a home theater component shelf.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHaugen /forum/post/20869357

I've built 3 complete HTPC's, and I've changed a lot of components in them as well. In the end, the price have always ended up around the price you would pay for a Pre Built system.

The quality of components of a pre-built system will never match that of a self-built system. While you may come out to the same price, in your self built system you could have a SSD drive and better MB/CPU/RAM/VIDEO.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankev /forum/post/20864377

There are no Vision 3D models with 2 gb ram. They all have 4 gb.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.