AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have been researching for the last few weeks, I have read hundreds of posts and a number of articles, I have looked at comparisons between silver and gray and white and goo and plastic and blackout cloth....... ad infinatum and I can say without a doubt that my brain is fried. So I thought if I provided information about my setup someone could help me with a buying decision.

I am getting an Infocus 7200 projector, it will be ceiling mounted in a basement room where I can completely control the ambient light. The primary seating will be 14 feet from the screen with the projector mounted directly above, because my setup I must have a perforated screen. After looking around I have pretty much decided to go with a Da-Lite screen, it will be the 92" HDTV format Cinema Contour. So here is the big question, I must choose between three different surfaces Audio Vision (1.0 Gain), High Contrast Audio Vision (.8 Gain) and High Contrast Cinema Perf (1.1 Gain) and there is where the wheels fall off, I have tried to discern from my research which is the best choice but unless I am not comprehending something I get completely contradicting statement depending on what posts I read.

After having an HT in my basement for almost ten years I have finally decided to abandon the rear projection world and really make the theater a showplace. Any and all help and comments are greatly appreciated.

Tom

· Registered
59 Posts
I would order samples of the materials you are looking at. Might take a week or two, but probably worth it. Da-Lite will send samples if you call them I think. I would ask for a sample of HCCV too.

· Registered
2 Posts
As a retired AV professional I would suggest you select one of the high contrast screens - mainly for the brightnes they will provide. You can adjust picture quality at the projector if necessary, toning down any really high contrast issues. That should also extend the life of the projector as it will slow the fading of the LCD panels over time.

· Registered
19 Posts
I have been with Draper for 24 years and I have looked at literally thousands of screen surfaces. Not only our own, but all of our competitors plus hundreds of R & D surfaces. I have my own HT. I used our High Contrast Grey because we have some ambient light. If it were in a totally darkened room I would have gone with our M1300. In Da-Lite terms I'd go with the Audio Vision 1.0. I would always opt for a "white" screen in a totally controlled light situation and go with a grey (contrast) screen in ambient light circumstances.

As for samples, I wouldn't get them. Even 24" x 24" samples aren't large enough. They will only cloud the issue.

Da-Lite's a good company and has good products, but give us a shot sometime.

· Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bob

Thanks for an honest opinion, I have looked st the AT1200 as a possible. I am still shopping around for a good price so you might just get that shot. Thanks again.

Tom

· Registered
125 Posts
Tom,

One word of caution when using a perforated screen. Make sure to use a size and material that will not cause a moire pattern. This occurs when the screen is too small (and the pixels from the projector are small) and the holes in the perf fabric are too close together. From experience with other situations if you use our fabric on a 52x92 or larger you should have no problems. I cannot speak for the other guys fabrics but I do know there weave patterns and hole patterns are different than ours.

Just wanted to make sure you don't run into a problem down the road.

P.S. If you are still trying to decide on which of our three perforated screens to use consider this. The Audio Vision is basically perforated Da-Mat. The HC Audio Vision is basically perforated HC Da-Mat and the HC Cine Perf is basically perforated HC Cinema Vision. You will find several other post on these three fabrics through out the forum. So, the characteristics that others are seeing with those fabrics will be very similar to what you should experience.

Thanks,

· Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Blake

Thanks, I am still trying to talk the wife into a 58X104 but she likes the 45X80, perhaps the 52X92 would be a good compromise, I will be sure to show her your post with the larger size recommendation :). Thanks again.

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.