AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently there was a s/w update last wed which may or may not have been the cause of my (and apparently other people's) RTV to start the rebooting cha-cha. Is there any way to find out what the update was for? New function? Bug fix? other?

What about future updates? If there isn't an easy way to block 'em, (see previous thread on this subject) is there at least a way to know they're coming and what the update will do?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I didn't notice a software update (haven't looked), but I did have a couple of spontaneous reboots on Thursday on one of my 4000s, which was a new event for me. Guess I'll check the software version when I get home.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just got my 2nd rebuilt exchange back from RTV, and one of the first things the 5160 did during "initial setup" was to update to s/w version 530451210

I haven't had a change to play with it enough to notice any "problems" vs. that of the machine I had returned....

·
Registered
3 Posts
My machine died right after this update. It froze, requiring power to be disconnected. When reconnected, it boots, waits 15 seconds, then reboots, forever. It ignores all external input.

I got an RMA for the unit. The customer support rep said that a lot of people had the same problem following the software update. Yet, we all have to pay to ship the unit back and be without it for weeks.

Why not have the unit boot from a USB floppy drive, if present? Then ReplayTV could send us a floppy image we could use to fix software problems.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I have no doubt you folks have a rebooting problem, but unless someone

posts the version # on the new OS version, it just seems doubtful a new

OS was pushed 4/9/03 and that caused your reboot problem. If the new

OS was pushed, someone must have received the new OS and can post

the version #.

530451210 is an old build, so it's not surprising the first thing it would

do is to update to 530451320.

PS if you have a rebooting problem, you basically have two options:

1) RMA/send back to SB

2) reimage the drive yourself (99% chance it'll fix your problem)

If it was me, I'd do option 2) since, from my perspective, it is less

hassle for a 30 minute self-fix. Yes the warranty gets voided, but

other than hard disk corruption (rebooting), which I know how to fix,

I haven't heard of many other problems I'd need to send the unit back

to SB for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.