AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*** I am not recommending the product or vendor below since I know nothing of either one, but this is the first time I have seen an HDTV with built-in ATSC receiver for under $2000 so I thought others may be interested...

ABT Electronics is now selling the RCA 38" DirectView HDTV with built-in ATSC receiver for under $2000 net after $200 rebate ($1979). The $200 rebate ends this week and applies only if you also buy the DIRECTV oval dish needed for HDTV at about $130.

ABT charges sales tax only in IL, MI, WI, and IN. Shipping of this set to my area is about $160.

Grand total shipped to my area:

$2179 set

+ 130 dish

+ 160 shipping

- 200 rebate

$2269 total which is several hundred less than local price.

------------------

Rich Peterson

DBS Consumer Guide Author

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
This is the best price yet on what I think is the best integrated solution direct view HDTV. I recommend considering this unit and deal.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked out this set last night at Best Buy. On the standard Best Buy sales loop, I thought the picture looked very poor. Of course this wasn't HDTV and it may have been adjusted poorly, but in general pretty much every other set around it looked better to my eyes. I guess I need to go somewhere else where I can really evaluate the set.

------------------

Rich Peterson

DBS Consumer Guide Author

·
Registered
75 Posts
While I lived in IL I always shopped ABT. Excellent store!

Regular TV on the RCA 38" screen looks poor, due either the poor transmission and resolution or poor line doubling by the set or both. The HD pictures are spectacular as are anamorphic 480 i DVDs (still waiting for my free progessive scan DVD player. Its value as free is dropping quick.)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I would have highly considered this set if the screen was flat. 12 years with a 27" curved screen was too long! The HD picture on this set is outstanding!

[This message has been edited by bmello (edited 09-25-2001).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.