AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up Criterions "Last Year At Marienbad" on blu-ray recently and had a question about the box...it came in a 'matt' white finish cardboard slipcase. My question is this...should this have been a 'gloss' white cardboard case as I notice the inside is gloss and was wondering if this was a mistake? Does anyone who owns this have a 'gloss' finish cardboard outer slipcase...and secondly, is this also available in a standard plastic type amaray blu-ray case?

Thanks in advance for any feedback....

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsinnott /forum/post/18141546

Picked up Criterions "Last Year At Marienbad" on blu-ray recently and had a question about the box...it came in a 'matt' white finish cardboard slipcase. My question is this...should this have been a 'gloss' white cardboard case as I notice the inside is gloss and was wondering if this was a mistake? Does anyone who owns this have a 'gloss' finish cardboard outer slipcase...and secondly, is this also available in a standard plastic type amaray blu-ray case?

This could probably go in the main Criterion thread, but yes, the cardboard cases from Criterion have a matte finish to them. Replacement plastic cases (special clear ones with full-height artwork) are available from Criterion for $5 if I recall correctly; I think there are more details in the other thread.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsinnott /forum/post/18141546

It is supposed to be matte to the best my knowledge. There's no real place to "check" these types of things, but every copy I've ever seen has been matte (and I had one of the first copies where the slipcase was too tight, and the fixed replacement slipcase Criterion sent me was also matte).

As for plastic case - eventually, they do seem to be switching all the digipack versions to plastic cases. But I've yet to see any report of anyone anywhere actually finding the plastic case versions in stores yet (besides The Third Man, now oop) - all the others still seem to be selling in the digipack form, and presumably will until the next production run whenever the current stock runs out. But you can buy the plastic case and cover art directly from Criterion if you buy the digipack version and want the other case ($5 for the first two, $2.50 for each additional case after that).

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekkou /forum/post/18141589

This could probably go in the main Criterion thread, but yes, the cardboard cases from Criterion have a matte finish to them. Replacement plastic cases (special clear ones with full-height artwork) are available from Criterion for $5 if I recall correctly; I think there are more details in the other thread.

Thanks a million for the info...

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Reloaded /forum/post/18141610

It is supposed to be matte to the best my knowledge. There's no real place to "check" these types of things, but every copy I've ever seen has been matte (and I had one of the first copies where the slipcase was too tight, and the fixed replacement slipcase Criterion sent me was also matte).

As for plastic case - eventually, they do seem to be switching all the digipack versions to plastic cases. But I've yet to see any report of anyone anywhere actually finding the plastic case versions in stores yet (besides The Third Man, now oop) - all the others still seem to be selling in the digipack form, and presumably will until the next production run whenever the current stock runs out. But you can buy the plastic case and cover art directly from Criterion if you buy the digipack version and want the other case ($5 for the first two, $2.50 for each additional case after that).

Thanks- sounds like the matte finish is normal then. Just fyi, I also have Wings Of Desire and Paris Texas- bought them online & both came in clear plastic boxes.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsinnott /forum/post/18142009

Thanks- sounds like the matte finish is normal then. Just fyi, I also have Wings Of Desire and Paris Texas- bought them online & both came in clear plastic boxes.

I meant for the 9 titles that were originally in digipacks. All other Criterion BD releases have ALWAYS been in plastic cases.

Of the 9 digipack releases, the only one people have found the plastic case version of in-stores (or online) has been The Third Man. The other 8 will presumably switch over eventually, but you can order the plastic replacement cases by themselves straight from Criterion.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Reloaded /forum/post/18142323

I meant for the 9 titles that were originally in digipacks. All other Criterion BD releases have ALWAYS been in plastic cases.

Of the 9 digipack releases, the only one people have found the plastic case version of in-stores (or online) has been The Third Man. The other 8 will presumably switch over eventually, but you can order the plastic replacement cases by themselves straight from Criterion.

Thanks for that- didn't realise than. I kinda like the cardboard cases when they are done well as they seem a little more 'unique' to me than standard plastic cases although I know they can get a little banged up and not replaced easily like a plastic case.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsinnott /forum/post/18141991

Thanks a million for the info...

Glad to help. I might replace my cases for Bottle Rocket and The Man Who Fell to Earth when I have some more spare change kicking around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.